NBC to make US version of Top Gear called "Gear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes brilliant. Stamp out growing interest in the board.

A public board where anyone can post, and you're suprised by the level of idiocy?

Me thinks you should relax and have fun with it.:shock:

I'd be happy with stamping out a shitflood of retards, yes.

I've never watched an American car show I didn't dislike. I don't expect Gear to break that trend.

Sure, not all americans are alike. But I still think that TopGears format won't fit well with the general american audience. Best of luck though.

I wanted to edit my post with more last night but the forum ceased to work for me so I'll re-address it here:

Based on your logic, Top Gear doesn't work in the UK now. Look at all the news about the nanny state and environmentalism and the protests against Clarkson, it shouldn't be popular enough to warant keeping on the air.

I've never watched an American car show I didn't dislike. I don't expect Gear to break that trend.

Holy triple negative Batman!

You never watched an American car show you didn't dislike... I think you just mean
"I never watched an American car show I did like."

what I said earlier

are some of these lurkers psychic or something? because all i heard was the word "will" like he already knows what's going to happen. this post is a perfect example about what some of the regs are talking about.

this is really starting to look like the Streetfire video/YouTube comment area complete with the "that's so ghey" and the word "suck" a million times.

OK, smartass, I didn't actually mean "will" like I'm holding a crystal ball in front of me and can see the future, but I have a good idea of how American TV works and that's more than likely what's going to happen. Isn't it more fun to state your opinion as fact anyways? Come on, be honest.

Also, I'd like to see what makes my comment look like a "Streetfire video/YouTube" comment. I didn't use "ghey" or "lol111!!!!1" or use suck that much.

what I said earlier

I'm shocked this sentiment is coming from someone living in Colorado.

Dude, I've only been in Colorado about 5 months. Here's the thing though: before I had my BMW (which I've only had for half a month) I drove a 2000 GMC Sierra pickup truck for over 6 years, complete with a hitch that I actually did take off-roading. But I had it because it towed a U-Haul trailer for moving, something I've been doing a lot for the past 6 years. BUT...if I saw a commercial for a GMC Sierra or some review for it, it never excited me because I always looked at it as a utility, a tool, whereas a BMW or a lot of the cars on Top Gear are pure beautiful driving machines, which is partly what attracted me to Top Gear in the first place.

The level of idiocy in this thread is staggering.

I request that any post made by a member with fewer than 100 posts be deleted.

Also, I was going to say that eurotrash's posts made me ashamed to share a country with him, but then I realized that he lives in Quebec and therefore isn't really from Canada anyway.

Why would the opinion of someone with fewer than 100 posts be less important or relevant than someone with 1000? Not everyone has the time to sit around and spend every waking hour on forums about TV shows. And why would you insult Quebec? You live in Alberta, the most backward, pro-American, anti-federalist province of all. Your claim to fame is a rodeo and cattle farmers, I mean you might as well be American. And BTW, I've recently moved back to Toronto, just haven't gotten around to updating my profile.

Because the vast majority the the newbie posts on this thread are completely moronic. That's why.

I insult Quebec because it sucks. You can talk shit about Alberta all you want, but keep in mind where all of those equalization payments come from.

unless James May, Richard Hammond, and Jeremy Clarkson are all in the show, it wont be anything close to the original version.

Because the vast majority the the newbie posts on this thread are completely moronic. That's why.

I insult Quebec because it sucks. You can talk shit about Alberta all you want, but keep in mind where all of those equalization payments come from.

I just need to know...

Are my posts moronic?

Fingers crossed!

I would have to say that I am hopeful that Gear will be worthy to be a part of the global Top Gear brand. Time will tell on that one. I am not going to dismiss it out of hand like a lot of people have already done. Go back and watch series one of Top Gear and tell me how that compares to the current series. I expect the first season of Gear to be a lot like the first series of Top Gear -- something I'll enjoy watching, but I also know that it has yet to find its legs. Personally I don't think that Top Gear really started coming into its own until series four. Of course that is debatable (and no doubt will be in short order.)

I am of two minds when I think of Gear and the American tv motoring shows that came before it. Yeah I cannot really stand to sit through most any American motoring show that deals with road tests. They are painfully boring. In some ways I think that bodes well for Gear -- eventally an American motoring show is going to get it right and it will not be just another boring car review show. Will Gear break that trend? I don't know, but I know that at some point some show here in the states will.

As far as the presenters I just want them to have a passion for cars. I don't really think that they should be people that are already on tv. Why does anyone really care if the presenters are Latino, Black, Asian, White, or female? All I care about is that they care about cars. I would love to see a female presenter that really knows her shit about cars. I think one of my friends would be great for the job. She knows cars. She loves to go on road trips and she waxes on about them like Jeremy does. She would rather drive several thousand miles over a few days then fly somewhere. I don't give a damn about the sex or the color of the person's skin that presents Gear. What I care about is that they love cars.

Just because people live some place that has a certain type of car that is sold over another doesn't mean that those people do not care about the benchmark cars of the world. If that is the case then the only place in the world that should be "allowed" to make motoring shows is Dubai. Just because more pickups are sold here in the states than anywhere else in the world does not mean that Americans only care about pickups and only want to see motoring shows about pickups. As a matter of fact of the few "car shows" that I've been to I have not seen that many pickups on display. Why is that? Maybe because pickups are more of a tool or a utility purchase than anything? Just because you own a pickup (which I do not currently) does not mean that you do not dream of owning a Ford GT or a Lamborghini Gallardo Spider. Did you watch series three Lamborghini show? That bit about the posters on the wall was just the same here in the USA as it was across the pond -- every boy had a poster of it on their wall.

The Big Three is now GM, Ford, and Toyota. The makers of Gear would be fools to only feature cars from American car companies. Market conditions are going to effect Gear just as they do Top Gear. Each show reviews the autos that are available in their market. There is going to be a fair amount of overlap, but not everything that is available here is available across the pond and vice versa. I would love to have a Lotus Elise (a Brittish\English company lacking from someone's list on page one). They are on sale here in the states now and should be reviewed by Gear. The Ariel Atom is also for sale here in the states. Are we going to get to see any Fiat 500s reviewed on Gear -- I don't think so. That also means that we will miss out on the Alfas too. There are cars that I wish Top Gear had got their hands on, but they were not on the market over there so that's life.

More than likely you will see the Corvette take the place of the Aston Martin for Gear. But does that mean that only the Corvette, Viper and the S7 are going to be shown on Gear? Do you really think so? No matter where you are in the world if you are a car nut you are going to want to see someone playing around in the newest and greatest supercar. If they have people working on Gear that are passionate about cars then the Askari A10 is not going to be preempted by the Scion xB for a rip around the track.

I'm sure there are lots of other things that I could comment on but I only have one or two posts so what do I know?

Last edited:
I would have to say that I am hopeful that Gear will be worthy to be a part of the global Top Gear brand. Time will tell on that one. I am not going to dismiss it out of hand like a lot of people have already done. Go back and watch series one of Top Gear and tell me how that compares to the current series. I expect the first season of Gear to be a lot like the first series of Top Gear -- something I'll enjoy watching, but I also know that it has yet to find its legs. Personally I don't think that Top Gear really started coming into its own until series four. Of course that is debatable (and no doubt will be in short order.)

Of of two minds when I think of Gear and the American tv motoring shows that came before it. Yeah I cannot really stand to sit through most any American motoring show that deals with road tests. They are painfully boring. In some ways I think that bodes well for Gear -- eventally an American motoring show is going to get it right and it will not be just another boring car review show. Will Gear break that trend? I don't know, but I know that at some point some show here in the states will.

As far as the presenters I just want them to have a passion for cars. I don't really think that they should be people that are already on tv. Why does anyone really care if the presenters are Latino, Black, Asian, White, or female? All I care about is that they care about cars. I would love to see a female presenter that really knows her shit about cars. I think one of my friends would be great for the job. She knows cars. She loves to go on road trips and she waxes on about them like Jeremy does. She would rather drive several thousand miles over a few days then fly somewhere. I don't give a damn about the sex or the color of the person's skin that presents Gear. What I care about is that they love cars.

Just because people live some place that has a certain type of car that is sold over another doesn't mean that those people do not care about the benchmark cars of the world. If that is the case then the only place in the world that should be "allowed" to make motoring shows is Dubai. Just because more pickups are sold here in the states than anywhere else in the world does not mean that Americans only care about pickups and only want to see motoring shows about pickups. As a matter of fact of the few "car shows" that I've been to I have not seen that many pickups on display. Why is that? Maybe because pickups are more of a tool or a utility purchase than anything? Just because you own a pickup (which I do not currently) does not mean that you do not dream of owning a Ford GT or a Lamborghini Gallardo Spider. Did you watch series three Lamborghini show? That bit about the posters on the wall was just the same here in the USA as it was across the pond -- every boy had a poster of it on their wall.

The Big Three is now GM, Ford, and Toyota. The makers of Gear would be fools to only feature cars from American car companies. Market conditions are going to effect Gear just as they do Top Gear. Each show reviews the autos that are available in their market. There is going to be a fair amount of overlap, but not everything that is available here is available across the pond and vice versa. I would love to have a Lotus Elise (a Brittish\English company lacking from someone's list on page one). They are on sale here in the states now and should be reviewed by Gear. The Ariel Atom is also for sale here in the states. Are we going to get to see any Fiat 500s reviewed on Gear -- I don't think so. That also means that we will miss out on the Alfas too. There are cars that I wish Top Gear had got their hands on, but they were not on the market over there so that's life.

More than likely you will see the Corvette take the place of the Aston Martin for Gear. But does that mean that only the Corvette, Viper and the S7 are going to be shown on Gear? Do you really think so? No matter where you are in the world if you are a car nut you are going to want to see someone playing around in the newest and greatest supercar. If they have people working on Gear that are passionate about cars then the Askari A10 is not going to be preempted by the Scion xB for a rip around the track.

I'm sure there are lots of other things that I could comment on but I only have one or two posts so what do I know?

yeah...

Umm... I'm not going to read that...

That's way too long:blink:

You live in Alberta, the most backward, pro-American, anti-federalist province of all. Your claim to fame is a rodeo and cattle farmers, I mean you might as well be American.

I believe there is a mall, too.

that and the car pictured below.:mrgreen:

The Captain America Triple Turbo? :p

Some people in this thread are too simple-minded (aka: fucking retarded cock gobblers) to realize that not everybody in America looks and thinks like Larry the Cable Guy. Is it that hard of a concept to fathom? Apparently eurotrash and other members of the forum who think Americans are ignorant, are just as much.

Sorry, can't quite read that.

Could you embiggen it for me please?

I could respond to alot of things in this thread, but I'm only going to do a few.

efoolution hit on something I mentioned earlier in that he would like to see something different from what he sees everyday, car wise. This is part of the attraction I have and many others have in watching Top Gear. Does no one else share this?

To whoever blatantly said that this was an attempt by America to steal a UK show, don't remember who it was. WTF? Have you read anything in this thread? This is a joint venture with NBC and the BBC... Jeremy Clarkson himself is giving his input on the show. I read somewhere else that the trio will be selecting or at least part of the selecting process for the new hosts?

I don't understand what has caused certain Americans on this forum (thread) to come out and rail against America for what? Attempting to please us by attempting to recreate TV magic? Is this topic some sort of weak catalyst to unleash your rage about the US?

Anyway, I think this thread should be left to the few radical lurkers to butt heads and rip each others throats out.

Enjoy.

One thing is sure ( this thread proves it ),
some people will hate this "Gear" show even if it's good,
and a lot will defend it to death, even if it's crap.

Could you embiggen it for me please?

It's a perfectly cromulent size.

Not bothering to rant and all that, im just imagining if the two shows will be half as good as TG is now, damn that would be awesome; 3 shows a week of
the best-damn-car-related-TV ever, cross continent ripping, the possibilities of even more ambitiously rubbish stuff going on. :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.