Need acne treatment

I used Roaccutane, my face is baby-butt smooth now. It is expensive, but it does work. Consult a doctor!

Yep, afaik you can't get it with out a prescription and you need to have a blood test to make sure it doesn't mess with your liver.

Like everyone said, Accutane is the only surefire way, but it will dry out your skin to the point of it peeling, your lips will bleed, you need monthly blood tests because it can fry your liver, and its like 500 bucks a month AFTER insurance. I'm 20 and still have bad acne. I use Benzaclyn (5% benzoyl peroxide, 1% clindamycin (antibiotic)) and it sorta helps with the big painful acne. But other than that, you just have to realize that no one cares about acne, and it doesn't really affect your life. So unless it's actually causing you problems, just treat it with safe medication, wash your face, and ignore the rest.

Like everyone said, Accutane is the only surefire way, but it will dry out your skin to the point of it peeling, your lips will bleed, you need monthly blood tests because it can fry your liver, and its like 500 bucks a month AFTER insurance. I'm 20 and still have bad acne. I use Benzaclyn (5% benzoyl peroxide, 1% clindamycin (antibiotic)) and it sorta helps with the big painful acne. But other than that, you just have to realize that no one cares about acne, and it doesn't really affect your life. So unless it's actually causing you problems, just treat it with safe medication, wash your face, and ignore the rest.

Canada's price will probably be closer to the $20 per month it was here for me, if it's PBS supported like it is here, and yes your face feels like shit while you're on it and it can cause some pretty nasty side affects if you read the brochure.

I used Roaccutane, my face is baby-butt smooth now. It is expensive, but it does work. Consult a doctor!

Been using this. Well a cheaper alternative, Isotretinoine Sandoz but it has the same substance. It's a very harsh. It really dries out your skin, lips/mouth, eyes and nostrils. And i need to have my blood checked quite often in case it's killing off my kidneys or liver (i forgot). :eek:
But it works. After trying several things, this has had the best result by far. I should have done it several years ago.

Canada's price will probably be closer to the $20 per month it was here for me, if it's PBS supported like it is here, and yes your face feels like shit while you're on it and it can cause some pretty nasty side affects if you read the brochure.

Well, it depends. It worked out to something like $3/pill for me. Insurance coverage over here depends on how much income you have - the more you make, the less they cover.

So back then I was obviously under my parents' health insurance account, and I had to pay full or close to full price. Thankfully though, on my own I'm a poor sod and they cover everything... too bad I don't need Accutane anymore.

Oh well, there's always hair loss pills they can cover. <_<

And guys, lay off Viper... are you all still that sensitive after reading about Ottobonn's oral hygiene? :p

I'm 24 and my shoulders are covered in them. My face breaks out from time to time.

Although I think it's partially since I wear my shirts for like a week or two before washing them (I don't really sweat). :?
I have the same problem.
Actually it's just the back of my shoulders, same for my brother.
As I change shirts at least daily, I don't think it has somthing to do with that.

I had acne problems as a teenager. Then I started shaving and, while I have no proof whatsoever, I think aftershave is the best solution against it. Buy some aftershave that has glycerin in it. :p

Nope, doesn't work for me ... been shaving since I was 14 and I always have acne. Mind you, I may not have chosen an aftershave with glycerin in it. :p

Also, the problem perisits very little across my cheeks and is more pronounced on my brow/forehead/sides of my head/around my nose and on my shoulders and upper back. That's because I have a combination skin face and those are the spots where I have my oily skin: Upper face, upper back, shoulders.

i found out that diet actually influences acne, the more sugar you eat the more white creamy substance :sick:.
Nope, don't eat much sugar. In fact, I've been cutting down on it more than often lately.

I'm 27 and if I skip shaving I still can have breakouts. As long as I shave every day I'm fine. I do wonder about those two kits from Neutrogena and Proactiv.
Hmmm, everybody talks about Proactive ... might have to try it out if what I heard in this thread doesn't work ....

And what's the Neutrogena thing? Link please?

And guys, lay off Viper... are you all still that sensitive after reading about Ottobonn's oral hygiene? :p
Did we really have to be reminded of that?

do you guys work out?
No, I don't work out ... but I have an oily skin upper back and shoulders ... so I'm guessing the extra moisture in the skin is feeding the bacteria.

I shower every day though and I change my shirts often, so hygiene is not an issue.

I used Roaccutan and yeah, it did dry out my lips, but the secondary effects aren't that bad. Liver damage is possible, not certain, and the statistics are low.
Only thing you need is a doctor experienced with the stuff, and one that's not paranoid about it.
I had two consults with two different ones, one wouldn't even go near the stuff, the other one sat me down and told me what he had seen, he assured me that it worked, and the most common side effect is a slight increase in cholesterol.
The drug is safe, and: 3-4 months of dry lips > acne.

P.S.
$500/month? Geez, now I get why social security is such a huge issue up there in the States!

Hmmm, everybody talks about Proactive ... might have to try it out if what I heard in this thread doesn't work ....

And what's the Neutrogena thing? Link please?

Sure:

http://acnekit.neutrogena.com/

I saw it the other day on T.V. It's supposed to be cheaper than Proactiv but I don't know how it compares. I only know what I've seen on both product's adverts. I'd love to hear if either works for you if you use one.

Yeh go with Roaccutane. :thumbup:

After about 4 years of stuffing around with minomycin(terrible side effects), clearasil, proactive and other face creams/wipes I finally managed to get onto Roaccutane. I had no side effects from it at all.. I was only a little bit more prone to sunburn.

I'm 20 and I still have acne. I'll probably be one of those freaks with adult acne well into my 40s...:p A few weeks ago I was getting outbreaks like crazy, but (fingers crossed) using over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide actually worked better than the sample prescriptions that my last dermatologist gave me. It pisses me off that I'm still getting the shit and it's undoubtedly had an impact on my self-esteem, I'll admit, but I never made the jump to Accutane.

But now I'm more concerned with getting rid of the scarring from 6 years of popping them. :(

P.S.: Proactiv doesn't work, Neutrogena Advance Therapy doesn't work, Clearsil Oil-Free Cleanser doesn't work, St. Ives Apricot Scrub doesn't work, AcneFree doesn't work, Doctor Li Facial Cleansing Cloths (only available in China!) doesn't work, DermaNew Home Dermabrasion Kit doesn't work, heat-activated light treatment doesn't work, and dermabrasion doesn't work. Maybe I'll just take an angle grinder to my face, that should work. Or maybe some acid, because it worked for Two-Face, right?

Last edited:
I'm 20 and I still have acne. I'll probably be one of those freaks with adult acne well into my 40s...:p A few weeks ago I was getting outbreaks like crazy, but (fingers crossed) using over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide actually worked better than the sample prescriptions that my last dermatologist gave me. It pisses me off that I'm still getting the shit and it's undoubtedly had an impact on my self-esteem, I'll admit, but I never made the jump to Accutane.

But now I'm more concerned with getting rid of the scarring from 6 years of popping them. :(

P.S.: Proactiv doesn't work, Neutrogena Advance Therapy doesn't work, Clearsil Oil-Free Cleanser doesn't work, St. Ives Apricot Scrub doesn't work, AcneFree doesn't work, Doctor Li Facial Cleansing Cloths (only available in China!) doesn't work, DermaNew Home Dermabrasion Kit doesn't work, heat-activated light treatment doesn't work, and dermabrasion doesn't work. Maybe I'll just take an angle grinder to my face, that should work. Or maybe some acid, because it worked for Two-Face, right?

Some of those might work for weaker cases of acne, but if they've all failed you, go for Accutane.

As M_Bolc says, it's worth the side effects... plus you can relieve a lot of the discomfort just by moisturizing and using lip balm... vaseline is best! It definitely works though, nothing else like it.

What kind of scarring do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Are they raised or not? If they're not bumpy they are likely to disappear after a while.

Has anyone else tried emu oil?
I've been using it for about a week, and while the acne isn't gone, there has been some significant reduction without drying out the skin.

I'm not saying anyone should bank on it, but it's worth a shot when compared to some of the other suggested treatments.

My sister had really bad acne, she went ahead and spent her money on laser treatment, which did work albeit it was quite expensive, mind you chinese herbal treatment also worked, but to a lesser extent.

I on the other hand only have light acne so some cleansing solution and neutrogena rapid spot treatment does the trick.