Next generation XTerra/Frontier/Navara all but confirmed.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://nismostuff.blogspot.com/2014/04/2015-2016-next-generation-frontier.html

Well, we kinda knew it would happen sooner or later but no less authority than Nissan's Global Boss Andy Palmer at last weeks NYC Auto Show revealed that they would begin releasing info on the next generation Frontier in the coming couple of weeks.

With the Titan (introduced in '04 as an '05 model) seeing its complete redesign, the Frontier and Xterra (if it were to continue to exist) were next on the hitlist. Now that the Pathfinder has returned to its own, unibody, more "refined" model it leaves open the question of how related the Titan and Frontier would be given in their current form they ride on the same basic platform.

Pressed by Australian journalists in NYC and the Aussies get the Frontier in both a 4.0L Petrol and a 2.2L turbo diesel badged with the "Navara" name, Palmer would discuss that no diesel version of the Patrol (the Infiniti QX80 here) would be produced (disappointing many there as well as in the Mid East). What he did indicate is that not only would the details on the Frontier's replacement come shortly but that "it would be logical" if that replacement also spun off an SUV variant. Given that the Xterra is the current Frontier's SUV clone, it would seem "logical" that the Xterra would be living on in the next generation of "smaller" truck and SUVs within Nissan's portfolio.

Quoting Palmer "should go back to that basis of good durability, good quality, and good reliability. If I was doing a pick-up, that?s where I?d start...It?s around about the same [size as the current model] - one-tonne pickups are fairly generic in terms of their overall dimensions..I think it?s about what you deliver on fuel consumption, what you deliver on styling...these are the key differentiators for that kind of pickup market"

To me the first part sounds an awful lot like the Xterra's original tag-line of "Everything you need, nothing you don't" while the fuel consumption and style sound a lot like a diesel with a bold design--much like the original Frontiers were, being the first to introduce the quad cab and other queues.

Should be an exciting month or so! Oh, and given they are releasing this info right now, I'd say the next generation Frontier should be about six months to a year behind the introduction of the next Titan which means, as the next Titan will be introduced in Q1 '15, I'd look for the next Frontier later that year...and with a diesel as well and that means a diesel Xterra could be in the cards as well...

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/com...-york-motor-show-new-nissan-navara-near-43098

Nissan to announce its all-new Navara within a few weeks; will spawn successor for previous Pathfinder 4x4 wagon
Nissan will commence the countdown to its fourth-generation Navara ute within weeks ? and the all-new one-tonner will again form the basis of a full-chassis seven-seat SUV in the spirit of the previous Pathfinder.

The revelation came at this week's New York motor show from Nissan's chief product planner Andy Palmer, who indicated that first details ? at least ? of the replacement for both the 17-year-old D22 and decade-old D40 Navara utes will be announced imminently.

When asked about the redesigned Navara, which will be built at a new plant in Thailand from late this year, Palmer said: "You only have to wait a few weeks to find out more details on that."

Palmer said the new Navara one-tonner, which goes into production in Thailand later this year, will be about the same size as the outgoing D40, but indicated the global model will be more efficient and stylish, while remaining a workhorse.

"It's around about the same [size as the D40] ? a one-tonne pick-up that's fairly generic in terms of overall dimensions.

"I think it's about what you can deliver on fuel consumption, what you deliver on styling ? these are the key differentiators for that kind of pick-up market."

The next Navara's efficiency is expected to come from a new 2.8-litre Cummins four-cylinder engine similar to the one that debuted in the Chinese Foton Tunland ute released here in November 2012.

The switch to Cummins power for Navara follows the announcement that Nissan's next (US-only) full-size Titan pick-up will be offered with a new 5.0-litre V8 turbo-diesel, which could also eventually power the Y62 Patrol.

Nissan foreshadowed the move by unveiling the Cummins-powered DieselRunner concept at the Chicago motor show in February, suggesting the newer US-built 2.8-litre TD4 will replace Nissan's own 2.5-litre YD-series turbo-diesel in at least North America's version of the Navara, the Frontier.

Likely to be coupled to the same ZF 8HP70 eight-speed automatic transmission as seen in the concept, a Cummins diesel four for the new Navara would be the next step in the US diesel engine giant's expansion as an OEM supplier of light commercial vehicles.

In the Tunland, the 2.8-litre engine produces 120kW at 3600rpm and 360Nm of torque between 1800 and 3000rpm, while consuming 8.4L/100km. In comparison, the current D40 Navara consumes 9.3L/100km and develops between 103kW/356Nm and 140kW/450Nm.

The next Navara will be built at a new plant in Thailand from late this year, ending Nissan's light truck manufacturing relationship with Mitsubishi, which has produced up to 40,000 Navaras a year at its Thai plant.

Construction of a new $360 million Nissan plant to build up to 370,000 new Navaras a year in Thailand will leave Mitsubishi free to manufacture its own new Triton there from around the same time.

Both new utes could go on sale here (Australia) as early as December. No official details have been released for either model, but the new Navara will bring all-new sheetmetal, a redesigned interior and, given it's the heaviest vehicle in its class, weight reductions.

The new Triton, meantime, was previewed by a wild concept at various 2013 motor shows and is due to launch with a four-cylinder diesel engine that should be joined by a hybrid powertrain by the time of its midlife facelift.

So while the Volkswagen Amarok, Mazda BT-50 and Ford Ranger, which itself will be facelifted in 2015, currently stand out as the three newest and most modern one-tonne utes in their class, they will soon be joined by new-generation Navara and Triton models and, next year, Toyota's new HiLux.

Perhaps even bigger news is Palmer's surprise acknowledgement that Nissan will develop another hard-core off-road wagon based on the Navara ? this time a new global ladder frame instead of being twinned with the Titan.

"It would be logical, wouldn't it? That's rhetorical by the way," said Palmer of a born-again Navara-based Pathfinder.

"The current model [Navara D40] uses basically the Titan platform, which frankly makes it a little expensive [in terms of] cost not price.

"So what we've done with the next generation of global pick-up is we've gone to a bespoke platform, which is much more cost-effective and allows us to address ? let's say ? more general arduous conditions, to do what it is built to do.

"I think undoubtedly something like a one-tonne pick-up starts with its ability to work... I came from the light commercial business so I always go back to the light-commercial business in that pick-ups define their genesis at the worksite.

"What you build on top of that in terms of the more luxury [orientated] segments then go back to that basis of good durability, good quality and good reliability, so if I was doing a pick-up, that's where I'd start."

It's unclear what nameplate the Navara-based SUV will wear, given the Pathfinder badge now graces a seven-seat crossover based on the same monocoque chassis as the Altima and next-generation Maxima sedans.

While the current Pathfinder rivals seven-seat people-mover substitutes like the Toyota Kluger, Ford Territory, Holden Captiva 7 and Mazda CX-9, the new Navara-based SUV will be a seven-seat off-road wagon to compete with the Toyota Prado, Holden Colorado 7, Isuzu MU-X, Mitsubishi Challenger and Ford's upcoming Everest.

I can't say I'm wild about the idea of the XTerra being a bloated 7-seat monstrosity, but the diesel option might make it worth it.

They may be confusing the Pathfinder and the Pathfinder Armada (now just called the Armada).

They may be confusing the Pathfinder and the Pathfinder Armada (now just called the Armada).

In the Australian article, I doubt it as we only ever got the Pathfinder here, no Xterra or Armada thing which I've only just heard exists now.

The previous-gen Pathfinder shared a platform, styling and engines with the Navara so I'd say that yes, they mean a new Pathfinder in that sense.

It can only be an improvement. The current model remains the worst car (taking into account it being of this era) I have ever driven. I would call it boat like, but a boat would be more responsive and provide more feedback to the driver.

Last edited:
Well, the current model seems to be as indestructible as the old D21 so as long as they stay in that mindset i'm actually looking forward to it. The 7-seater xTerra could work provided they don't make it the size of an aircraft carrier (*Stares with disdain at the Nissan Patrol.)

A friend of mine has a stick-shift Xterra and he loves it. It good on and off-road and it can haul a ton of cargo. Perhaps if you have requirements beyond "pickup truck with a roof over the bed area", it's a not the best, but if you just want a 4WD cargo hauler, it can't be beat. Hopefully the new one doesn't screw that up/