Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

I call BS. McLaren, as mentioned above, is partly-owned by Mercedes. It just makes no sense to drop them after one mediocre season. Stealing Newey away from Red Bull, that would be an option, or buy Brawn's whole operation, shut it down for good and place Ross as the head of McLaren racing... but breaking with McLaren? There's no profit in this, neither monetary nor in terms or won races.
---
The new supercar being built independant of Merc is, as far as i got it, due to the fact that it's not a one-of mini series but the start of a whole McLaren car lineup, financed indepenently of the F1 team by external backers...

Of course, the fact that McLaren's supercar project is their own product and they are not working with Mercedes at all puts McLaren into direct competition against the sportscar division of Mercedes. I can't imagine the germans being too happy about that...

If you look at the history of McLaren and Mercedes in F1 alone there's no real reason for them to split, which leads me to believe the reasons are somewhere else. Mind you, I can't help thinking that the whole Stepneygate saga and the resulting bad rep for Mercedes is a contributing factor here.

I wonder the McLaren livery will change if they break.

Because it now looks effin fantastic, as with the West cars.

^ Hard to say. The livery is McLaren's own, as it has been since 1997 when they realised that when Marlboro left they'd face an inevitable identity crisis. But the silver is obviously very Mercedes Benz oriented. It would present an interesting little problem if Vodafone continue their involvement as they've usually always been partial to a silver/red combo on their previous and current partnerships (DTM, and TeamVodafone are two ready examples).

^ Hard to say. The livery is McLaren's own, as it has been since 1997 when they realised that when Marlboro left they'd face an inevitable identity crisis. But the silver is obviously very Mercedes Benz oriented. It would present an interesting little problem if Vodafone continue their involvement as they've usually always been partial to a silver/red combo on their previous and current partnerships (DTM, and TeamVodafone are two ready examples).

I hope they stay at least similar, it sucks when a team with cool looking cars completely changes them. I loved the last generation Renault livery, but the ING colors were dreadful imo.

Similar to this, I was thinking today I really hope USF1 doesn't go too tacky with their design. There is potential for a truly awful car there, and also a truly cool one. I just don't want to see the car version of this guy:
redneck.jpg

No one on the news about the british GP and that we might not have one next year?

for me, Bernie knew this all along.... the greedy c*nt was never happy with the dosh silverstone could offer up so he wanted rid of it. So he didnt look like he was being unpatriotic he let donnington have the contract provided they got the circuit together in just 2 years.

he probably knew that was a tall order for them to pull off, i mean just how good was donnington going to be when places like Abu Dhabi are spunking billions on theirs? at best it'd be a shambles and that'd give bernie enough reason to chop it.

but with the credit crunch, mr gillet is short on funds and now cant complete the circuit.... this is massive win for bernie because silverstone is already out the picture and donnington will still be a pile of half finished rubble, leaving the door wide open for the next billionaire middle eastern state/family to buy in to F1 and have their very own Herman Tilke snooze fest circuit in the palatial grounds.

Well it seems Donington have actually dug down the back of the sofa and found some money to pay Ecclestone the money owed. I guess the challenge for them will be to build the circuit and get it ready in time for the race.

Source

Another thing, according to F1 Live that big fat goateed Ferrari guy (pictured below with cake) is leaving, having taken up a post at Lotus.

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/ladora/2009/10/18/2009_cake.jpg

The Donington saga is like the Energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going.

Well it seems Donington have actually dug down the back of the sofa and found some money to pay Ecclestone the money owed. I guess the challenge for them will be to build the circuit and get it ready in time for the race.

Source

Another thing, according to F1 Live that big fat goateed Ferrari guy (pictured below with cake) is leaving, having taken up a post at Lotus.

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/ladora/2009/10/18/2009_cake.jpg
XD That guy is probably the most recognized Canadian currently involved in F1.

That's the window smaching guy! Someone else is gonna have to smash those Ferrari windows...:p

Because the silver bears the name of "silver arrows", thats why I posted this question.... Will Vodafone stick to this or forcefully make Brawn go silver hahahha !

As far as I'm concerned this current livery is sex.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091029092149.shtml

Seriously, what the fuck ? One good (great) season in its debut, and Mercedes is thinking of changing team backing, plus taking along the oil sponsor ?

Are they THAT shallow ?

Wait... Mobil oil wanting to change teams while McLaren is said to be already in talks with Petronas sounds like something that's been going on since mid-season, probably since BMW announced they would be leaving F1. Could even be Mobil oil trying to put a spin on being ousted from McLaren by a better Petronas offer.
What i seriously doubt is any Mercedes involvement in this deal.

Additionally, like Zephyrus i think that if Mercedes and McLaren will announce their split this winter, it will not be a descision made after the season cause of Brawn's performance, but something that has been in the making probably since Spygate.

That's the window smaching guy! Someone else is gonna have to smash those Ferrari windows...:p

You mean from Brazil 2008? I don't think that was him...