Oliver's son - 79 Opel Kadett

Pistons cleaned, new piston rings installed. Next week: Reassemble lower end. Week after that: Reassemble cylinder head.

Saturday:

Today:

Almost looks like an engine again. One day of work after Ringmeet, two at most, and we are back on the road!

Most four-pot crankshaft have five main bearings. The Opel OHV engine, basically being a pre-war design, only has three...

So, three weeks ago, this happened:

As it was boiling hot (36? C in the shade and us working in the sun) we stopped after we finally got the engine to mate with the goddam gearbox, so this:
[video=youtube;oH2T7-MF38s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2T7-MF38s[/video]

Had to wait until last weekend! It feels so good to finally drive the Kadett again. It handles well, it's small, it's agile! Now I "only" have to finish the rust repairs and get a partial respray before it'll be back in action....

PROGRESS!

Can you buy rear arch repair panels for this age of Kadett or do they need custom fabricating?

Can you buy rear arch repair panels for this age of Kadett or do they need custom fabricating?
Both - you can buy panels but the fit is so bad you have to customize them to look good.

He's got T?V and finally returned home! In dire need of a wash and some fresh paint, but home nevertheless!

Here he's with my friend Humphrey's Mk1 Fiesta:

Due to several circumstances outside my control, I had to put the Kadett into Lucille's box instead of it's own for now:

Neatly illustrates the size difference!

I'm sure painting it "better" would make it a lot *worse*. Also, I'm now thinking of the pistons inside the engine that were shoddily extremely carefully scrubbed by yours truly.

Front right headlamp glass came lose. When parking the Kadett, I noticed the headlamp was sitting at a funny angle. Glass fell off the second I touched it. Seems like the glue connecting the glass to the mount gave it. One more fucking thing to fix, brilliant.

Now that's just mean. :D (I remember it being in the living room and not ready to ride :p.)

Plus of course that Berlin has about the best and most comprehensive mass transit system I have ever encountered. You can pretty much get to within ten minutes (tops) walk of wherever you want to go for around 8 bucks for a whole day.