Oliver's son - 79 Opel Kadett

Spare parts are not the problem - work hours are ;(

ANYWAYS, the backyard greasemonkey i originally took the car to got another coachbuilder to look at the problem, and now the following deal is fixed:
-all metalworks
-cavity preservation
-primer grey paint on all new metal
-motor gaskets ands carburettor tuning
-Oil and other fluid change
-MOT and classic car certification

for 1900 Euros flat. That's what i call a reasonable deal. Still 400 above the last "flat" deal, but i told them i can not take any more bumps.

does german people scrap 90's cars now? its just random question

That soundsa bit steep imo, since the only really difficult and time consuming part of that lot is the welding.

...and the welding part is what has gone from approx. 500 to approx. 1400 euros in the last month. And as, from my understanding, they'll have to replace the whole firewall, inner and outer wheelhouses and the lower part of the A-pillar, it sounds reasonable enough to me.
Remember, we're talking labour and parts here.

...and the welding part is what has gone from approx. 500 to approx. 1400 euros in the last month. And as, from my understanding, they'll have to replace the whole firewall, inner and outer wheelhouses and the lower part of the A-pillar, it sounds reasonable enough to me.
Remember, we're talking labour and parts here.

Well, to be honest, couldn't you just buy a sound, empty bodyshell for like 100-200?, a used mig welder for ~100?, and do the job yourself. It takes time and determination, but it's very satisfying to know that YOU fixed the car up :)

Well, to be honest, couldn't you just buy a sound, empty bodyshell for like 100-200?, a used mig welder for ~100?, and do the job yourself. It takes time and determination, but it's very satisfying to know that YOU fixed the car up :)

I wouldn't personally drive a car that I learned to weld on. :shock2:

I wouldn't personally drive a car that I learned to weld on. :shock2:

I would - if it would be something non-vital i'd be welding on like a hood-scoop... but not only fixing, but replacing or parts that are essential to the body's static is something different...

Thats pretty awesome but in order for it to be Oliver's son it has to drive across Botswana =P

That's not how it works in the movies. It can't just drive across Botswana for no reason. It's father has to be kidnapped or some epic story get it to follow in it's father's tire tracks to unlock some inter-dimensional secret to save all humani... er, car-manity!

That's not how it works in the movies. It can't just drive across Botswana for no reason. It's father has to be kidnapped or some epic story get it to follow in it's father's tire tracks to unlock some inter-dimensional secret to save all humani... er, car-manity!

Yeah and maybe a good love triangle too =P

come on its a cool car

It is not. The Manta A linked earlier is quite a nice car, but the Manta B in the Video is full of awful. You might not know that, but the Manta B is the eponymous white trash/ricer car in germany, not unlike the 3rd gen Camaro overseas.

On top of all that has been said on this topic before, i just see i never mentioned that repacing the firewall means taking the engine out of the car and most likely the dashboard too - i am quite happy i don't have to do this on my own. Removing the engine in a Kadett is quite simple, actually, but only if you have a) a semi-professionally equipped shop and b) a second person to help you out.

Since the value of car being sold might be lower than value to you personally, may I suggest furniture?

Screenshot2009-08-31at63548AM.png

It is not. The Manta A linked earlier is quite a nice car, but the Manta B in the Video is full of awful. You might not know that, but the Manta B is the eponymous white trash/ricer car in germany, not unlike the 3rd gen Camaro overseas.

so calibra is ricer car in germany too? :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzolEnjtg2A&feature=related[/youtube]

:p

personally i like the kadett C a lot more
Opel%20Kadett%20C1%20Coupe%201.jpg

and the ascona A is quite nice as well
Ascona_A_1024.jpg

Last edited:
personally i like the kadett C a lot more
Opel%20Kadett%20C1%20Coupe%201.jpg

That's what i drive. The saloon, not the coup?, obviously, but that's my car. Except for mine not being lowered and on much nicer wheels.

Haven't seen a Calibra in the wild in ages. Had a reputation as a girly, or more middle-aged female's sportscar, not unlike the Corrado, when it was new.

Last edited:

Here too! A quick check at Blocket confirms that out of 4 Calibras for sale in Gothenburg and surroundings, 75% are riced.

Last edited:
What he wants is this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFeoHgudWs&feature=fvw[/YOUTUBE]

Breakin' the law on the soundtrack == win.

Still, i'll stay with the stock engine ;)