Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

At the moment I have a huge craving for something like CrazyJeeper's CJ7 or JipJopJones' Cherokee...
Essentially, a manual jeep with the 4.0 straight six, lockers, mud tires, and a nice stereo.

I have no idea why.

A nice stereo? For what? Any faster than 50 mph and all you'll be hearing is wind noise and tire noise.

A nice stereo? For what? Any faster than 50 mph and all you'll be hearing is wind noise and tire noise.

I beg to differ. My Jeep has a rather good stereo (Kicker 6x9s, kenwood 5.25 rounds, Infinity Basslink 10" sub, Alpine head) and I can clearly hear it at 75+ mph even with the doors off.:mrgreen:

Yeah, but so can everyone else on the highway! :p

Not my problem ;)

Disclaimer: I'm not one of those assholes who blasts music at lights, unless somebody else is making me listen to their crap. I only crank it once underway.

I also beg to differ, I still have the crappy stock sterio from 1990 with one blown speaker and it still works fine. I can hear it great. Sure you get all the other stuff too. But it's part of the experience.

That is encouraging. Time to get an amp for my straight piped MG. :p

Don't get your hopes too high.

I couldn't hear shit in my straight piped El Camino, well, except BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And I had a cabin.

Heh. Thankfully Wankels aren't as noisy as big V8s.

OK, here's a dilemma for my fellow gearheads.

The solution for my problem is here! Finally decided to go with the "rent a cabrio car for the weekend"... Since I found out you can get a Mini Cooper S with 175 hp :woot: :woot:

In my Miata I wear ear plugs and it drowns out most of the noise of the highway traffic and makes the stereo significantly clearer.

how does that work? How can it only cancel out the engine noise/wind noise and not cancel out the stereo at the same time???

Yeah! I love those. The idea of having a brand new 30-year-old hot hatch is great. I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a problem to have one rebuilt in LHD and with the 20VT engine, but even in RHD 1.6 guise it's a great little car.

Watching '60s French cinema always makes me want a bone white 1965 Mustang and start smoking. Then I could tool around the town in it, wearing Wayfarers and a long coat, looking hungover as hell.

Citi Golf = Win

I don't get why other companies don't do anything similar... People would pay a LOT if they could get "oldschool" hot hatches for cheap, as a new car!

I'd get me a Pug 205 GTi Or something if I knew it was a "new" one

Usually the old production lines have been shipped to a third world country, so the build quality probably varies a lot. Also, getting the cars through crash tests would probably be very difficult.

That said, a Chinese VW Santana would be great :cool:

Watching '60s French cinema always makes me want a bone white 1965 Mustang and start smoking. Then I could tool around the town in it, wearing Wayfarers and a long coat, looking hungover as hell.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqxQGI3BTXs[/YOUTUBE]

Do I win?

That said, a Chinese VW Santana would be great :cool:

Up until a couple years ago you could buy one here. There are some mint condition ones around, not to mention half the taxis in Rio de Janeiro are still Santanas.

Here in Brazil there are some old cars you can buy brand new. A few examples:

Fiat Uno:
mille-economy_1024.jpg

Ford 1st gen Ka:
kafrente_01.jpg

VW Kombi (Bus):
kombi_1280.jpg

Corsa Sedan 1st gen:
corsa-sedan-classic_1024.jpg