Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Rent a trailer, bolt it to the Mustang, come and take it away. :D

Alternately, buy it and then the Texas contingent of FG could mail it to you. MG Midgets are not that big. :D

Rent a trailer, bolt it to the Mustang, come and take it away. :D

Alternately, buy it and then the Texas contingent of FG could mail it to you. MG Midgets are not that big. :D

Well if someone can bear having it on their property until the summer (or September at the latest) I would go that route. Though for that I think I'd be taking my Dad's B-Body Roadmaster.

Yeah the lightness is a big plus, it makes the car pretty easy to move off to the side of the road when it breaks down. :p

Last edited:
Still trying to gather some Eclipse information. It's really confusing, since it seems that all 1gen Eclipses imported to Europe have the same kind of front as the 90-92 USDM model. The car is advertised as a 1993 model, but it has the 90-92 -style retractable headlights (there were some '96 ones that look the same, too). It looks like I will have to crawl under the car to feel the oilpan flange, and find out whether there's a bulge or an indentation (6-bolt vs 7-bolt crank, sturdier vs lightened).
The Euro models apparently also have more power than the USDM ones, so this will most likely have 150 hp.

This is a classic case of "Don't touch that car, it will only cause you harm and destroy you financially", but there's that certain something about it, which means I will have to check it out thoroughly. Who knows, maybe I'll find some rust from the spare wheel well, traces of a dodgy respray or some electronic niggles, which will give me a legit reason to abandon it.

I would also have to find a buyer for my Mazda, which means more trouble. :mrgreen:

I've just gone and bought a CLS 63.

not really though.

I've just been out reading threads about trolls lying about the cars they have. It's really funny.

Is the Porsche Panamera out yet? I havn't seen any on the road here in the states, but apprantely there are a couple of okes in South Africa have spotted them on the road since the beginning of last year july(disguised though).

5433210079_medium.jpg

5433210080_medium.jpg

5433210086_medium.jpg

Is the Porsche Panamera out yet? I havn't seen any on the road here in the states, but apprantely there are a couple of okes in South Africa have spotted them on the road since the beginning of last year july(disguised though).

Perhaps thats just a sign that Americans have taste :lol:

Still trying to gather some Eclipse information. It's really confusing, since it seems that all 1gen Eclipses imported to Europe have the same kind of front as the 90-92 USDM model. The car is advertised as a 1993 model, but it has the 90-92 -style retractable headlights (there were some '96 ones that look the same, too). It looks like I will have to crawl under the car to feel the oilpan flange, and find out whether there's a bulge or an indentation (6-bolt vs 7-bolt crank, sturdier vs lightened).
The Euro models apparently also have more power than the USDM ones, so this will most likely have 150 hp.

This is a classic case of "Don't touch that car, it will only cause you harm and destroy you financially", but there's that certain something about it, which means I will have to check it out thoroughly. Who knows, maybe I'll find some rust from the spare wheel well, traces of a dodgy respray or some electronic niggles, which will give me a legit reason to abandon it.

I would also have to find a buyer for my Mazda, which means more trouble. :mrgreen:

I don't think a 1st gen Eclipse will be that troublesome. They are nowhere near as bad as the second gen in terms of problems (the crankwalk)
Depends on how it has been maintained and on your budget of course.
I actually think the ones with retractable headlights look a lot better than the later ones.

The retractable headlights are actually one of the reasons why I like that Eclipse. That front looks a lot better than the USDM 1Gb one, and while the 2G looks good, I've now read enough Mitsu/DSM forum posts to steer away from them.

The retractable headlights are actually one of the reasons why I like that Eclipse. That front looks a lot better than the USDM 1Gb one, and while the 2G looks good, I've now read enough Mitsu/DSM forum posts to steer away from them.

retractable headlights were only on the 1989-1992 cars after that they switched to the non popups

According to my sherlocking, they kept that front all the way until 2G came along, for Euro import models.

According to my sherlocking, they kept that front all the way until 2G came along, for Euro import models.

huh..... The More You Know

I don't know why, though. Do flip-up lights somehow attract Europeans more, or did they just import a huge load of 1992 Eclipses to Europe and slowly sell them off during the years?

I don't know why, though. Do flip-up lights somehow attract Europeans more, or did they just import a huge load of 1992 Eclipses to Europe and slowly sell them off during the years?

They may have had a boatload of them left over. Toyota didn't bring the TT-2.5L 1jz to US market supra's in the late 80's because they had way to many of the old 3.0 single turbo engines still laying around needing to blow head gaskets :lol:

I am strangely attracted to Mondeos, Vectras and Passats lately. I have no idea why. I even love the practicality of the estate versions, and have in my mind selected the frugal yet powerful diesel engines as my "top tip"

:cry: Please help me :cry:

The Rodders Journal is the greatest magazine being published.

My Lolvo turned 20 the other day!! Happy birthday!!!

Hmm, I looked at the Eclipse in broad daylight. Some pros and cons:

- Retractable headlights work!
- Started up very nicely with the battery booster, and kept a steady idle.
- Judging by some touching and feeling, it has the more durable six-bolt version of the 4G63.
- Good winter tires.
- Brakes have been overhauled, "some hoses, possibly brake discs, to make it pull up straight"

But:

- Passenger side has been resprayed completely, and while it's not bad, I could tell. Worse, however, was the driver's side rear, which had some weird little bubbles coming up all around the paintwork, about the size of, hm, moles. Looks like the paintjob has been botched, and the color didn't match. The car would need a good, thorough respray to get rid of the mismatch and the icky bubbles, and if neglected, there would definitely be rust.

The dealership will have time to empty the lot by June, as they're closing down. The car was never imported here officially, and it's a German used import, which carries a certain stigma even if the car has a good logbook. It has been for sale for at least six months, and I was now able to get 2000 euros off the asked price. It's still too expensive for the state of the paintwork, and it will need the timing belt changed as soon as possible, since I couldn't find any document of it having been done. So, if it still sits at the lot come June, I will try to get a real cracking deal out of it, since mechanically it's alright.

Last edited: