Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

yes indeed you do... mine isn't, it was rather a pain hiding away all those cables nicely :p

That's a very clean looking case, I like it. There are too many of these wacky designs coming out and all I want is a clean case. There's only one thing I could ask for on that, a side window. I've got my eyes on the Lian Li PC-7FNWX.

Just go ahead and double your RAM, that'll make the biggest difference. When you work with images in photoshop they're completely uncompressed so they just suck up RAM. If you're on Vista or 7 then 2 gigs is barely enough anyways.

And are you running photoshop in 64 bit? If not you should be, if you are then keep on trucking.

I'll look into some RAM then (Although I am running on XP). Oh, and how would I check if Photoshop is running in 64 bit or not?

Also, like Windows, Photoshop uses a swap file. If you have both the Windows page file and the Photoshop swap file on the same drive it can slow things down. However, as far as hardware is concerned I would agree that more memory is the immediate fix.

They're on the same drive, so maybe I should try moving Photoshop to my second hard drive?

I'll look into some RAM then (Although I am running on XP). Oh, and how would I check if Photoshop is running in 64 bit or not?

Photoshop will only run in 64bit if you have a 64bit O/S. So, if you have XP 64bit then you're set. Chances are you're on 32bit. Not many people used XP 64bit. If that's the case you're limited to 3.25GB of memory. You could put as much as your system board can take but a 32bit O/S can only address 3.25GB. Perhaps you could pick up Windows 7 64bit, some more RAM, and move the PS swap file to another drive.

However, you will need to make sure you have a 64bit CPU first.

They're on the same drive, so maybe I should try moving Photoshop to my second hard drive?

You don't have to install PS to another drive. You can just tell it where to put the swap file. I believe you can change where it is in edit, preferences, plug-ins & scratch section.

Last edited:
Photoshop will only run in 64bit if you have a 64bit O/S. So, if you have XP 64bit then you're set. Chances are you're on 32bit. Not many people used XP 64bit. If that's the case you're limited to 3.25GB of memory. You could put as much as your system board can take but a 32bit O/S can only address 3.25GB. Perhaps you could pick up Windows 7 64bit, some more RAM, and move the PS swap file to another drive.

However, you will need to make sure you have a 64bit CPU first.

My XP is 32-bit, so I guess I'll need to upgrade to 7. I've been considering Windows 7 anyways, so maybe. I'll look up my CPU and see if it's 64 bit, but I believe it is (Intel Core 2 Duo 6600).

You don't have to install PS to another drive. You can just tell it where to put the swap file. I believe you can change where it is in edit, preferences, plug-ins & scratch section.

Oh, alright, thanks.

Edit: Looked up the CPU, Intel's site says it's 64-bit. Also, I switched the location of the swap file to my other hard drive.

Last edited:
so basically what you want, is pretty much exactly the PC viper recently bought :p
maybe just have a browse around for his thread and see if what he bought will suit your needs.

if i remember correctly it was:
core i5-750 (yes it's actually a quad)
gtx470
8gb
and that lovely asus P7P55D-E with USB3 and SATA 6Gb

rest of the parts would have to be tailored to your needs i guess :thumbsup:
plus, i can't stop recommending my case (which i actually bought after seeing someone else on here buy it :p): Fractal Define R2

EDIT: viper's original thread would be here and then here is what he bought as far as i can work out...

This is what I have so far, note that microcenter has an i7-930 for $100 less I'd probably go with that instead. I'm also lacking a case (the one you linked to is nice, but I don't see it for sale in the US) and power supply. I haven't had time to look into SSDs or what the current crop of TV tuners are (Yay working 18 hours this weekend).

I don't think I quite need the graphics performance Viper got, but the minor price difference may make it a poor choice not to step up.

This is what I have so far, note that microcenter has an i7-930 for $100 less I'd probably go with that instead. I'm also lacking a case (the one you linked to is nice, but I don't see it for sale in the US) and power supply. I haven't had time to look into SSDs or what the current crop of TV tuners are (Yay working 18 hours this weekend).

I don't think I quite need the graphics performance Viper got, but the minor price difference may make it a poor choice not to step up.

!! be aware when using socket 1366 !! ==> you get a triple-channel RAM setup! so you want to get a 6GB Kit (3x2GB) when going that way (or two of those... to go over the top ^^)
also, be careful when buying RAM like the one you have in your list: the heatspreader is ridiculous and might just be in the way in case you decide to get a decent CPU cooler.
next up the GPU: i don't think a 9800 is a great choice... in that price-region i'd go ATI (5770 maybe). nvidia stuff isn't really all that interesting there for me :dunno:
SSD: there are quite a few people on here who have them... i think the intel X25 are quite good, but i'm not reaaally too sure on those.
finding a nice case can be a major pain in the ass. i searched for ages because i was looking for something clean and not too flashy. i'd have loved a lian li, but they're ridiculously expensive most of the time (at least the interesting ones are :p). but maybe lancool or whatever that brand's called have something you might like? (they're sort of the lian-li cheap-brand or something).
for a PSU: just get yourself something modular! agagagagag i can't stress that point enough. it was so annoying to tie all my cables away into some corner of the case so they're not in the way all the time... i'm angry at myself for not just paying the 5 extra bucks. also, i can really recommend enermax PSU's... never had any problems and they're awesomely quiet and efficient (think modu82+ series or something), although quite expensive.

ah, with HDD's: if you get an SSD large enough to hold your OS, programs and games, you might think about getting one of those "storage" HDDs like the WD EARS series (caviar green they're called?)... they'll be quieter and cooler :)

good luck :thumbsup:

I'm currently using Jolicloud and Ubuntu 10.01. Linux has really moved on in the two years since I last took an interest in it!

I quite like 10.04. I've been using it on my laptop and desktop, as well as most of the servers here at FG.

In preparation for my new laptop, which should arrive tomorrow morning with Vista Home Premium, I jumped on the opportunity to buy Win 7 64-bit Professional with the special discount for having .edu address.

Download is going well, got my serial key as well, but now I've doing some more reading and several things worry me. This is an "Upgrade" version, but people say it has all the files needed for a clean install if needed. However, others report that the serial key is also considered as "Upgrade" only, and if you format your hard drive and decide to do a clean install it will cause a problem with the activation.

I don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow, I'll probably just upgrade from the current Vista installation. But what if at some point I want to format my hard drive - has anyone had any experience with these Win 7 Upgrade editions?
(Knowing my luck, I'll probably run into unfortunate and improbable problems with the installation)

!! be aware when using socket 1366 !! ==> you get a triple-channel RAM setup! so you want to get a 6GB Kit (3x2GB) when going that way (or two of those... to go over the top ^^)
also, be careful when buying RAM like the one you have in your list: the heatspreader is ridiculous and might just be in the way in case you decide to get a decent CPU cooler.

Duly noted and good to know. I had an old desktop with RDRAM that had to run in pairs or with some little jumper thing in empty slots a while ago, so the funny ram thing isn't a hassle. Now, since it has to be installed as multiples of 3 sticks, could I also add an additional 3GB via 3x 1GB sticks to the 3x 2GB sticks for a total of 9GB if I wanted?

next up the GPU: i don't think a 9800 is a great choice... in that price-region i'd go ATI (5770 maybe). nvidia stuff isn't really all that interesting there for me :dunno:

Like Viper I'm firmly in the nvidia camp. A number of years ago I modded forums and functioned as tech support for an MMO, 90% of the staff working on the game only spoke Chinese, and rather than finding a tech that knew Engrish they stuck me as tech support over the forums for the players after the previous person moved on. Anyway, it was a never ending series of problems with ATI drivers and never a one with nvidia drivers. I hear the same story about drivers from so many other people I just don't want to deal with it.

SSD: there are quite a few people on here who have them... i think the intel X25 are quite good, but i'm not reaaally too sure on those.
ah, with HDD's: if you get an SSD large enough to hold your OS, programs and games, you might think about getting one of those "storage" HDDs like the WD EARS series (caviar green they're called?)... they'll be quieter and cooler :)

I'm still not finalized on the HDD situation obviously, but those specifics will be settled later. I'm leaning to SSD for OS and programs, plus an additional 2 drives for file storage (I'd like to setup RAID 1, but I'm clueless on how exactly to setup new drives for that), and I'll probably pull a 500GB drive from my current desktop for a dedicated torrent drive. The drives I chose there were just to get an idea of price thrown in. I'm not too concerned with noise, my current computer is fairly noisy and I'm used to it, so HDD noise isn't much an issue for me I guess.

for a PSU: just get yourself something modular! agagagagag i can't stress that point enough. it was so annoying to tie all my cables away into some corner of the case so they're not in the way all the time... i'm angry at myself for not just paying the 5 extra bucks. also, i can really recommend enermax PSU's... never had any problems and they're awesomely quiet and efficient (think modu82+ series or something), although quite expensive.

I'll definitely go modular for the PSU, though I'm not horribly bothered about cable management. I won't have a hulking window on the side of my tower so they won't be visible or seen save for the few times I open it to add something. I'll probably want something in the 6-700 watt range (I think? My current desktop has a 600watt and it's ~5 years old). Brands I'm completely clueless on so any input on that from everyone is welcome.

finding a nice case can be a major pain in the ass. i searched for ages because i was looking for something clean and not too flashy. i'd have loved a lian li, but they're ridiculously expensive most of the time (at least the interesting ones are :p). but maybe lancool or whatever that brand's called have something you might like? (they're sort of the lian-li cheap-brand or something).

Sounds like what I want as well. I've heard lots of good about lian li and lancool and coolermaster. I would prefer USB 3 slots on the front, but that may be hard to find right now. Memory card readers or a slot I can put one into is preferred as well, but that won't be a problem.

I think I've still got a ways to go on this. Thank you for the advice so far.

You should be able to reinstall Vista and re-upgrade to 7 no?

My guess is...the laptop will not come with Vista installation cd. It will probably just have the CD-key on a sticker and everything pre-installed.

I loooooove my new mouse.

mx1100.jpg

LOG%20910-000718.jpg

Last edited:
Duly noted and good to know. I had an old desktop with RDRAM that had to run in pairs or with some little jumper thing in empty slots a while ago, so the funny ram thing isn't a hassle. Now, since it has to be installed as multiples of 3 sticks, could I also add an additional 3GB via 3x 1GB sticks to the 3x 2GB sticks for a total of 9GB if I wanted?

i think i've seen that on some retail machine, so it should (!) work...

EDIT:
just read few reviews of the GTX460 card and i have to say: OH GOD GO GET THAT! :p
it really seems to be what people were expecting fermi to be from the start. they addressed the ridiculous power consumption and noise, plus you get all the nvidia goodness of CUDA/PhysX. it even is really competitively priced going against the HD5830 and beating it pretty much all of the time. the 1GB model is the way to go here (i can't see why they did a 768mb model anyway :?). Looky here-y!

Last edited:
I loooooove my new mouse.

I upgraded to an MX Revolution a few months ago, and I love it. It's the exact same design, but without the DPI buttons. They're really nice mice.

Nabster: Take the dive, grab one of the new Nvidia GTX 460 1GBs. DO NOT GET A 9800GTX+. They underperform even compared to last-gen ATI hardware like the 4870/4850.

Also, I have no problems with my Crossfire 4890s. No driver problems whatsoever.

Edit: Looked up the CPU, Intel's site says it's 64-bit. Also, I switched the location of the swap file to my other hard drive.

Yeah, I have a similar Core 2 Duo so I knew it was 64-bit, which is why I axed. 64-bit is just faster. :)