Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

OH MY GOD APPLE
WHERE IS MY COMPUTER WHY ARE THEY NOT DONE WITH IT YET
JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING NEW ONE ALREADY

This hard drive is going to fail, possibly the video card too, I brought the other one in on monday STILL NOT DONE. I first brought it in a week ago, it takes less time for fucking VW to order parts and fix my car. Once this computer goes down I cannot access any of my files, I cannot draw anymore because windows 7 is ass and won't support a tablet over 3 years old, and I can't be on the computer more than 2 hours or I won't be able to walk the next day. I am going to go in and hit them with this computer and it is metal and heavy and will freaking hurt.

OH MY GOD APPLE
WHERE IS MY COMPUTER WHY ARE THEY NOT DONE WITH IT YET
JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING NEW ONE ALREADY

This hard drive is going to fail, possibly the video card too, I brought the other one in on monday STILL NOT DONE. I first brought it in a week ago, it takes less time for fucking VW to order parts and fix my car. Once this computer goes down I cannot access any of my files, I cannot draw anymore because windows 7 is ass and won't support a tablet over 3 years old, and I can't be on the computer more than 2 hours or I won't be able to walk the next day. I am going to go in and hit them with this computer and it is metal and heavy and will freaking hurt.

That sux but you remember my experience with them sending me the wrong box.... so you are still in better shape.

Just an FYI, you can get a much better price on the 6770. Newegg has that XFX one for $127 plus a $15 rebate (probably stupid MIR). You can also do better on the RAM price-wise. That might help with the money :)

That sux but you remember my experience with them sending me the wrong box.... so you are still in better shape.

I am considering alternative computers.... :|

edit: can you DIY with laptops at all? If I could sit at a desk I would have done that with a desktop years ago.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, you can get a much better price on the 6770. Newegg has that XFX one for $127 plus a $15 rebate (probably stupid MIR). You can also do better on the RAM price-wise. That might help with the money :)
I know, I just linked to those because I have those bookmarked.

edit: can you DIY with laptops at all? If I could sit at a desk I would have done that with a desktop years ago.

I remember seeing a few places that lets you decide what parts you want in your laptop. It was years ago, I'm not sure if those exist anymore. Otherwise, not much DIY except occasional CPU/GPU/DVD/RAM/PCIe swap.

(yes, laptop GPU can be changed on some models, I've done it)

I didn't think so :(

So I am pretty much boned there then.

There are websites that let you pick a model and customize the specs a bit, I think that's the closest you'll get (something like http://www.pugetsystems.com/configmenu.php).

Wireless video cards are just coming into play, which would make it possible to connect a soft of dummy laptop shell wireless to act as an interface to a desktop, but nothing so far....

If you can stand a desktop it's really the way to go if you want flexibility (also it's way cheaper). Maybe get a really comfy chair?

There are websites that let you pick a model and customize the specs a bit, I think that's the closest you'll get (something like http://www.pugetsystems.com/configmenu.php).

Wireless video cards are just coming into play, which would make it possible to connect a soft of dummy laptop shell wireless to act as an interface to a desktop, but nothing so far....

If you can stand a desktop it's really the way to go if you want flexibility (also it's way cheaper). Maybe get a really comfy chair?
Mostly I want to choose how sturdy it is... the reason I am shelling out all the money for these stupid macs is they can survive a nasty drop at half the price of an equivalent toughbook.
Also stupid apple has spoiled me with the stupid fancy trackpad and I was hoping something else was equivalent that I could shove in there <_<

Also yeah, no chair will really work as I need to keep my feet somewhat elevated as well and wiggle all around due to my joints not dealing well with any sitting position at all.
Dell lets you do mild modifications.

If you want a proper builder, this would have helped if you lived in Europe: http://www.alternate.de/html/config...activeClassName=barebook&kind=notebookbuilder
However, the existence of this suggests there may be options across the pond as well.

Well it would also help if I could read the site :lol:

Last edited:
Here's another one that's not bad... you can choose a screen/shell then specify the rest of the parts.

http://www.buydirectpc.com/custom-laptop.html
I cannot find anything about the shell?
Yes that is useful as I am too stupid to learn things in german and have determined trying to buy things in languages I don't know goes badly.

I wonder if I could make water cooled shoes.

I am considering alternative computers.... :|

There used to be barebone laptops, you'd get the chassis and the mobo I think but im not sure what happened to them.

So close :(

http://www.surfing-waves.com/Browse/menssurfwear/shoes/watercooled/

Apparently there used to be sandals as well but they are out of production.
:(
Well they wouldn't fit anyway. I can't even fit in most adult shoes period never mind men's.
There used to be barebone laptops, you'd get the chassis and the mobo I think but im not sure what happened to them.
Yeah I wish I could like, hollow this one out and replace with less crap bits or something

Prices dropped and demand disappeared. Barebones were everywhere in the olden days.

Luckily laptops are finally getting better in terms performance (especially integrated video), as long as you don't scrape the bottom of the barrel. But I don't know who makes hardware as solid as Apple anymore. Thinkpads are supposed to be good, and you can get them with decent performance, but I know you don't like them. I don't have enough experience with other premium brands. Maybe Sony? Viper recently bought an expensive one.

I wouldn't really recommend Sony. Well, my personal opinion would be to stay away actually... you don't get anything for the price premium they charge, at least Apple has nice industrial design.

Actually, I think Sony is toast. Their decades of being complete assholes about everything seems to have finally caught up with them big time.