Restoration Ripoff ...... what happened?

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Top Gear Girl said:
KryptonZone said:
Come on, how much money did they make, how bad a condition was that Mini

Well I think the segment was a flop, so they probably havn't bothered to waste air time on saying "and here is the Mini".
Well it will be aired. Expect them to start talking about it as of the first episode I rekon.
Viper007Bond said:
Tomo Motorsport said:
"Overhaulin" guys do complete restorations. Some cars end up lookin pretty good.
Oh, hell yes they do. :thumbsup:
Overhaulin is way cool...Monster Garage not quite as good but still allrite sometimes-The host annoys me though!
jesse james is way cooler than chip foose hands down

chip foose host overhaulin?..ive never seen it.....chip foose is talented but he is dead boring.....

Z Draci said:
It's not rare for a full restoration to take over a year. You can't drop it off at the mechanic and expect to have it done in a week. It takes a long time and a lot of money.
c'mon it takes 6 months to fully restore a jaguar e-type, chasis, bodywork, mechanics, all that.., a restoration of a mini will take half that time, it's a very plain car we have to remember

zfzfrost said:
probably next season

Perhaps never...maybe it's really been a rip-off..

The car didn't look that bad.

Wouldn't take long to paint it and swap out the engine, trans and interior.

I think they thought it was dull and hoped no-one else notices.

Even if they do restore it who'll care, it's only an old mini there must be a billion of them around still.

Matthew

qube said:
The car didn't look that bad.

Wouldn't take long to paint it and swap out the engine, trans and interior.

I think they thought it was dull and hoped no-one else notices.

Even if they do restore it who'll care, it's only an old mini there must be a billion of them around still.

Matthew
An old Mini that kicked ass and would be worth a fortune at any concours, though.

I really want to see this. I want to give this car restoration thingy a shot (famous last words, I know)... :|

bbc.co.uk/topgear/ said:
I seem to remember that they said it might take two seasons to restore it. I don't actually know whats happening with it. I'll try and find out.

Never mind. Why didn't Princess Di's Range Rover win? I can't see that more people voted for the Mini.

bbc.co.uk/topgear/, what happened to Di's Range Rover, is it for sale?

The Range Rover was up for sale before the winner was announced. It was in Classic Cars Weekly. I would have thought someone had picked it up by now, it was selling really cheap. Shame really

moo said:
The Range Rover was up for sale before the winner was announced. It was in Classic Cars Weekly. I would have thought someone had picked it up by now, it was selling really cheap. Shame really

Arrrgg I want it.

Apparently what has happened is the people who were supposed to restore the mini were trying to rip the BBC off for bags of money & were trying to vastly overcharge for the job. The BBC have refused to pay for a job which is being charged at waaaay more than the original quote. So, now the garage won't give the mini back because they say it was some sort of a contractual agreement. Boo that garage. Where's their sense of patriotism??

Personally I think they should let James restore it. He's great at stuff like that.

Iiinteresting. Pretty much bullshit on the garages part if it's true. Good info thanks

anyone knows what garage they took it to? :twisted:

Kebab gud said:
dude ..
if i ownd a garage that top gear picked to restor a car for a hit TVshow .. id pay half the cost

think about the PR value to have your garage name all over the freeking BBC ...

no kidding! that would be epic PR...

i mean, i know i would never have heard that Knowles-Wilkins Engineering do old jags up :)

I think they should name and shame the garage on Top Gear, but I'm suprised it hasn't been mentioned already because if someone annoys Jezza he normally says something about it.

Evo7 said:
I think they should name and shame the garage on Top Gear, but I'm suprised it hasn't been mentioned already because if someone annoys Jezza he normally says something about it.
Problem with that is if it goes into any courts and stuff, they can't talk about it because they could possibly admit wrong-doing or something.

sns2015 said:
I would have voted for the Probe... They must have rigged the results, or something... The mini is a terribly boring car, even if it did belong to that one guy.

No, no they didn't rig it at all.

I've just spoken to the team about this, they assure me, the mini will be restored, and will be on the show at some point.

///M said:
The folks at Pimp My Ride restore a car in no time.

yah that lasted all of 2 years :lol: