SSD? Anyone?

No, but I'm saying that compared to an internal, the same drive will be slower as an external...and that with a magnetic drive...so THAT drive is already faster than the external connection can handle. The only reason I could see to have an external SSD is durability if you're going to move it around, and maybe if it doesn't need another power connection, that would be nice.

And that's a valid reason. The reason my last laptop crapped out was that the hard drive got funked up a bit, likely caused by being banged around.

On the other hand, how much would two 32GB memory cards go for? I have no idea, but it's a more portable option.

Last edited:
For the reliability alone I don't see it as worth the price difference. We're comparing 16/32/64 GB to multiple TB for similar prices.

I'd say if you are throwing it in your laptop bag and carrying it with you, yes. It's worth it. Otherwise if it's juts sitting on a desk...is a 3-5 year life not long enough for something that costs like $50-60 for a couple hundred gigs? You said you already have 40+GB...64gb will get eaten up QUICKLY. Alternatively, if your computer has a CF slot, 32GB cards are, what...$75? Nothing extra to plug in, nothing extra to forget to take with you, no other cables...instant extra 32GB.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Comp...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264051264&sr=8-1

Last edited:
To be honest laptop HDDs are pretty robust. I work for HP and the laptop they give me to work on is still working fine and I drive around with it all day long to job sites while it sits in the rear pocket of my passenger seat. One of my co-workers even goes as for to leave his on all day as he drives around in the car. Neither of us have had issues and we're pretty brutal on these things.

The only reason to really get an SSD is performance, at least IMO.

Yup. Laptop drives are normally good for that. (although...sitting in a bag, connected to padding, inside a car with a suspension isn't exactly an extreme environment. :p )

My Acer (that should say a lot right off the bat) got banged into a couple times, dropped once or twice, got pinched between a car door ad the seat, mashing the casing...but it did reasonably well...until it died. If it's not going anywhere, an external with a desktop drive for a couple hundred gigs wouldn't cost much.

500gb $69.99 + $1.99 shipping Western Digital
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=external_hardrive-_-22-136-466-_-Product

Prefer Seagate?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=external_hardrive-_-22-148-404-_-Product

if you don't want to carry your music around, but be able to connect to in, how about those lan-hd's / windows home servers that have iTunes libralies to lan/wan connectivity?
As a plus you can have backup for your files as well, torrent machine, ftp-server and even tivo backup :D

but if you carry it with you,

Expresscard 32Gb
Expresscard 48Gb

my reason for thinking ssd is reliability :dunno:
If you plan on throwing (literally) the drive around while it's ON then SSD is better. Otherwise just get a regular drive. HDDs switched OFF are quite robust and if you take a little bit of care they are going to survive being moved switched ON too.

If you just want to store Music on the drive, the additional performance is not going to help you at all either.

Last edited:
Yup. Laptop drives are normally good for that. (although...sitting in a bag, connected to padding, inside a car with a suspension isn't exactly an extreme environment. :p )

My Acer (that should say a lot right off the bat) got banged into a couple times, dropped once or twice, got pinched between a car door ad the seat, mashing the casing...but it did reasonably well...until it died. If it's not going anywhere, an external with a desktop drive for a couple hundred gigs wouldn't cost much.

Fair enough. :lol:

I know he keeps his on his passenger seat and leaves it on all day. I think I've replaced maybe three laptop hard drives while I've been working for HP. I guess it really depends on the drive.

(for laptops)

What about the lack of noise, less heat and no moving parts?

Ah good points, I forgot about that. There's also less power consumption with an SSD. Forgot that too.

(for laptops)

What about the lack of noise, less heat and no moving parts?

all bonus stuff, performance was the real reason why everyone started buying SSDs.

How much would it suck to run Win7 off a class 6 SD card? How much better is something like this likely to be? I want to have a "home OS" for my work computer, and using one of those slots would make things nice and easy. Then again I'm not even sure it can boot off SD or EC.

How much would it suck to run Win7 off a class 6 SD card? How much better is something like this likely to be? I want to have a "home OS" for my work computer, and using one of those slots would make things nice and easy. Then again I'm not even sure it can boot off SD or EC.
The SD card thing would suck immensely. It would mean a lot of waiting.

Also Windows can't be installed on to a removable drive (SD cards, USB drives, etc). I think there is some trickery that can make it work. You basically need to make Windows see the drive as a permanent drive somehow.
Same goes for that ExpressCard thing, if it presents itself as a RAID controller with a drive attached you can install Windows on it. But if it presents itself as a removable drive you can't.

Boo-urns. I wish the hard drive was removable, or the dvd drive, for that matter.