Tesla model S Options and Pricing

Wow, you must be quite the aerodynamics expert if you can determine with one look what others need highly complex calculations and wind tunnel tests for. :thumbup:

Prove me wrong then. Never said I was an expert, just LOOK at that damn front end. That is one large almost flat surface.

Do you realize how inefficient solar panels are? I don't remember the exact specs (narf?) but they are not anywhere near powerful enough to charge a battery that runs a motor with that much output. Not in a normal sedan configuration, and not without covering the entire damn car in them.

They would assist in charging the batteries not be the sole means of charging. Besides, solar panels have come along way from even a decade ago. They still get a negative vibe when people mention them, which is undeserved. They are developing or have developed an ~80% efficient panel now which is a huge improvement over the previous ~40%. So those will come in handy in smaller applications like vehicles and smaller houses.

just LOOK at that damn front end.

tesla-model-side-502.jpg

2012-nissan-gt-r-side_7402_001_580x435_qab.png

Capture-8.jpg

Also, solar panels shouldn't be seen as a means for charging batteries for free miles. You will simply be dissapointed.

The Fisker Karma says you can get up to 200 free miles per year. That's if it's never parked inside or in the shade. Let's say you put on 10,000 miles. That means that you are at most getting 2% and saving like $15-20 max. I'm sure they cost more than that.

Also, they aren't charging more simply for other colors. They are charging for the metallic paint upgrade. Some guitar companies charge $50-100 for that upgrade...and that's on a tiny guitar with paint that doesn't have to be nearly as durable as car paint.

Also, who says the "stereo" is all that heavy? Ever felt an old tape deck? Heavy. Felt an iPad? Not so heavy.

Last edited:
So, my brother just paid his deposit for a Model S last week, got his waiting-list number already(!) and we can't wait to go and check one out this saturday :D

It will most likely be ready some time around november 2013.

I have already been designing one in the design studio :D

http://img163.imageshack.**/img163/2843/designstudio.jpg

http://img688.imageshack.**/img688/9540/itshere.jpg

So, my brother just paid his deposit for a Model S last week, got his waiting-list number already(!) and we can't wait to go and check one out this saturday :D

It will most likely be ready some time around november 2013.

I have already been designing one in the design studio :D

I had no idea they were going global with it. That's awesome, congrats to your bro. :D

Reactions: haz
Thanks mate, I have noe idea as to what their global strategy is - only that there are 3(!) dealerships in little little Norway! Friggin 3!!!!! We are a little under 5m people in Norway and we are the second largest marked for Tesla, after the US.

.. This needs to be explained though.. Norwegian politicians are very focused on the enviroment issue and want to credit those who have the same attitude. So they add zero tax on electric cars. That means that this BMW M5 killer* is yours for what you would expect to pay for a medium spec'ed Skoda Superb. So it's a no brainer, right? Sure, the battery pack needs to be replaced in ten years and costs (now in 2012) about 15.000 dollars, but most likely, it will be cheaper when you actually need to replace it in ten years..

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I have noe idea as to what their global strategy is - only that there are 3(!) dealerships in little little Norway! Friggin 3!!!!! We are a little under 5m people in Norway and we are the second largest marked for Tesla, after the US.

.. This needs to be explained though.. Norwegian politicians are very focused on the enviroment issue and want to credit those who have the same attitude. So they add zero tax on electric cars. That means that this BMW M5 killer* is yours for what you would expect to pay for a medium spec'ed Skoda Superb. So it's a no brainer, right? Sure, the battery pack needs to be replaced in ten years and costs (now in 2012) about 15.000 dollars, but most likely, it will be cheaper when you actually need to replace it in ten years..
Come back when the battery pack actually gives up the ghost. Let's see if it's anywhere close to ten years, especially if it's driven as an "M5 killer"

It has a 8 year warranty, so I don't any owners really give a shit if it dies before those 8 years. http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

Besides, a battery pack for this car will dramatically drop in price in 8 years.

I'm amazed that there still are Tesla-haters in 2012, haven't they proved that they can produce great cars that people are happy with?

Check out Jay Leno checking out the Model S:

They've made a good car? Since when?

Obviosuly you know I am talking about the Tesla Roadster. It's sold out i North America, the market can't get enough of it, motorjournalists throughout the world love it and they have almost unanimously embraced the Model S.

Forget about Clarksons ignorant view on it, try and have some perspective on things. It really comes down to what the consumers think about the products, and the Roadster owners all love their car.

Might it have something to do with the fact that it's the only semi-sporty EV on the market? It's heavier, slower and worse in pretty much every way than it's competition except for in emissions and efficiency. It's hip and cool but that doesn't mean it's good. Once EVs can perform with IC cars, not be recalled a dozen times, not brick, not catch fire and hold 300 miles per charge with normal driving (the Model S cannot, despite Tesla's claims) I'll concede that they have built a good car. They're also too expensive. The one you want is $90,000. Pretty pricey for a glorified Leaf. At least it looks good though.

I'm amazed that there still are Tesla-haters in 2012, haven't they proved that they can produce great cars that people are happy with?

Some car enthusiasts go into apeshit-anti-hippie mode the instant an electric motor is connected to a car's wheels. This sort of person is our version of the holier-than-thou cyclist.

Reactions: haz
[/url]
Besides, a battery pack for this car will dramatically drop in price in 8 years.
Will it, now?

Not a Tesla, or an electric hater. A rationalist, who refuses to drink the stupid koolaid. It's an overpriced car with an unproven technology designed to make the people who spend their money on these cars feel better about "saving the environment," from an "evil" (the IC engine) that hasn't been proven to do squat to the environment itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Some car enthusiasts go into apeshit-anti-hippie mode the instant an electric motor is connected to a car's wheels. This sort of person is our version of the holier-than-thou cyclist.
Some car enthusiasts do their homework before opening their mouths. I suggest you do the same.

For most, there's zero problem with electric cars. I think everyone is on board that it's inevitable we'll all be driving electric cars in the not-too-distant future...the issue for most is battery-powered electric cars.

Might it have something to do with the fact that it's the only semi-sporty EV on the market? It's heavier, slower and worse in pretty much every way than it's competition except for in emissions and efficiency. It's hip and cool but that doesn't mean it's good. Once EVs can perform with IC cars, not be recalled a dozen times, not brick, not catch fire and hold 300 miles per charge with normal driving (the Model S cannot, despite Tesla's claims) I'll concede that they have built a good car. They're also too expensive. The one you want is $90,000. Pretty pricey for a glorified Leaf. At least it looks good though.

Glorified Leaf :rolleyes: I wasn't really aware of the level of our little discussion before reading that.

Listen, due to the previously explained tax rules, this Model S fully spec'ed will cost the same as a medium Skoda. OK?
One can also use the bus lane. OK?

I think that even in 20 years time and most electric carproducers have taken over huge market shares and the product owners are happy as hell, there will still be a small circles of ignorant denyers who just don't want to "get it".

Good luck with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it me, or are finalgearn00bmembers more likely to be asses?

It has a 8 year warranty, so I don't any owners really give a shit if it dies before those 8 years. http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

This and if it doesn't meet the needs of 90% of the people, it must be worthless on that normal 30 mile round trip drive most people make.

Not a Tesla, or an electric hater. A rationalist, who refuses to drink the stupid koolaid. It's an overpriced car with an unproven technology designed to make the people who spend their money on these cars feel better about "saving the environment," from an "evil" (the IC engine) that hasn't been proven to do squat to the environment itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Some car enthusiasts do their homework before opening their mouths. I suggest you do the same.

Wow, that is a very enlightened and thought out argument. :rolleyes: