The Android thread

Why the fuck would you? It's only 500-600 (less if 2nd hand) and you can arrange for warranty with the seller.

Tax and shipping.
Practically anything bought from other countries has a 60% import tax and other assorted tributary mumbo-jumbo that doubles the initial price.

Ouchie. Well, since the American carriers are dropping it, that means there's more to go elsewhere, no? :D

Ouchie. Well, since the American carriers are dropping it, that means there's more to go elsewhere, no? :D

*crosses fingers* :)

New HTC wildfire:

500x_wildfire2.jpg

Specs-wise, it has a 3.2-inch QVGA capacitive touchscreen, and 5MP camera with auto focus and LED flash, Bluetooth, GPS/AGPS, Wi-Fi, and a 3.5mm jack. ROM is 512MB, RAM 384MB, and it runs on a Qualcomm MSM7225 528 MHz processor

Link 1

Link 2

Its looks decent for an entry-level handset. Might be nice to have as a second phone to fiddle around with Android.

I just found out that my local UMTS frequency bands are 1 (2100MHz) and 5 (850MHz) and that means that I need to check compatibility before buying a new phone...*sigh*

Wiki has that information, usually in the righthand section under the picture of the phone. Nexus One and HTC Desire support those bands, where has the Legend only has 2100 MHz.

Wiki has that information, usually in the righthand section under the picture of the phone. Nexus One and HTC Desire support those bands, where has the Legend only has 2100 MHz.

I know that, and it's very helpful. The thing is that unofficial sellers charge MORE for the newer version of the Nexus one, just because it supports all carriers.
Also, wiki and the official HTC page tell me the Desire is compatible with 850MHz only in the Australian version. That sucks.

Sorry for the double post, but I have a quick question:
Is it worth it to buy a Samsung Galaxy (i7500) putting in perspective that a local carrier is offering it for 1/3 the price of the Milestone/Nexus One? Prices considered are without a contract, of course. Is it possible to upgrade it to 2.1?

Yeah, but is the phone worth the money or should I pay more and get a Milestone or something further up the food chain?

What's the price difference? i.e. are you saving $200 or $500?
Local currency:
Galaxy = R$699
Milestone= R$1799
Nexus One= R$2099 (parallel import)

Divide by 1.7 to convert to USD.

Holy crap. I'd get the galaxy and just plan to upgrade later.

I was going to say get a Milestone since there are many tweaks/ROMS out there for it already, but with that pricing I'd agree with smib.

The galaxy isn't a rubbish phone anyway.

I'd agree, even without an official upgrade there's a good chance you can get to 2.1 the hard way.

Holy crap. I'd get the galaxy and just plan to upgrade later.

I'd agree, even without an official upgrade there's a good chance you can get to 2.1 the hard way.

I was going to say get a Milestone since there are many tweaks/ROMS out there for it already, but with that pricing I'd agree with smib.

The galaxy isn't a rubbish phone anyway.

Thanks for the input. I was worried about the Galaxy being a bad choice, but if it's just a simple phone, I don't see a problem.
In fact, since I plan on getting this without a contract, I can sell the Galaxy and upgrade to a Nexus One or something like that WITH a contract later in the year...

Last edited: