The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Check out that link I posted.

You'll need that plus some gaskets from your local Honda dealer.

Shouldn't take you an hour to replace that in your driveway.

Tried some filming on the bike with the video camera but the extra weight means it bounces around like a mother. So I may have to buy and el-cheapo digicam or try to reinforce the mount.

Also got the bike serviced, $200! May well buy some tools and do some work myself from now on. Front brake pads will need changing soon, guess I'll give that a shot.

Spectre, you seem to be the man with connections. If you come across a workshop manual in English for a CB400SF available for DL somewhere, could you let me know? Don't think I'd buy a hard copy - don't know if I'll keep this bike too long.

Aratoga, congrats on the purchase. Enjoy your freedom.

I need a year on that 400SF to look for it. I don't think there was one in English, though there's plenty of Japanese and Russian ones running around.

In the meantime - the Honda Common Service Manual: http://www.nighthawk750.com/maint/Honda_Common_Service_Manual.pdf

That and many other manuals may be found here:

http://www.carloboldetti.com/bike/manuals.htm

Everyone with a Honda should have that - not because that's a service manual, but because it's the big "how to" manual that describes how stuff works. This is also the book to which the service manuals refer you to for more details.

As one site puts it:
The Honda common service manual is to be used in conjunction with the service manual specifically designed for your ATV, motorcycle or scooter. It is NOT a replacement for a repair manual. Many common procedures are outlined in this book in greater detail than may be included in your service manual. If you are purchasing a Honda Factory manual this book is the perfect companion publication.

The Honda Common Service Manual explains the theory of operation of the various systems common to Honda motorcycles, motorscooters, ATVs and Personal Watercraft.

Factory Honda manuals that are specific to one particular model frequently advise you to consult the Honda Common Service Manual for many repair procedures. The Honda Motorcycle Common Service Manual outlines all service and repair procedures used in a typical motorcycle service shop environment.

This manual is an invaluable resource for all students of motorcycle technology in general and Honda technology in particular. All motorcycle operating systems are explained in detail with easy to read text supported by high quality illustrations. Each section begins with an outline of operational theory, continues with a detail of the various types of technology used by Honda over the years, and then follows up with troubleshooting and repair procedures.

Recommended reading.

Edit: Try this one for info on your SF in the interim. http://web.archive.org/web/20070915145418/http://www.callnetuk.com/home/davewitts/

Last edited:
You're a champ.

My wife is out in the sticks getting ready to drop a mini-me out of her nether regions. I'm supposed to take the train up there soon, but I just might ride the bike instead, even though it'll probably cost about the same, take a lot longer and be a lot less comfortable.

I saw a Buell Lightning XB12Scg at the horrible Honda dealer that I'm never going to ever again anymore*. I was :shock: at how tiny it was: it makes a Honda 919 look huge in comparison.

I've always had a soft spot for Buells, unreliable as they are, and I might be putting a Lightning XB125Scg (the cg means it's been lowered) on my "favorite bikes" list.

Buell_XB12Scg_003r.jpg

*Sadly, it's the only one in the area that sells Honda parts. And the people there are pricks, and everything's overpriced...so I'm gonna build my own Honda bike dealership! With blackjack! Aaaaannd hookers! Actually, forget the Honda dealership, and the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing.

Had the summers first off today! My Husaberg decided it needed to befriend a couple of bushes...

I may be buying a Honda Pacific Coast today. We'll see what happens.

But you already have a car! :blink:

Heh.

Well, the 700SC isn't good at longish trips outside commuting range. Too much weight on the pegs, same thing Hammond had problems with on the Black Shadow. I'd like something I could ride to Austin without rider issues.

Did I mention that this person is selling it for $600 and has no idea what it is?

Heh.

Well, the 700SC isn't good at longish trips outside commuting range. Too much weight on the pegs, same thing Hammond had problems with on the Black Shadow. I'd like something I could ride to Austin without rider issues.

Did I mention that this person is selling it for $600 and has no idea what it is?

:lol: Jump on it mate. That's how I ended up with the MX5.

I've already emailed the seller and left a couple of messages via phone. We'll see what happens.

I saw a Buell Lightning XB12Scg at the horrible Honda dealer that I'm never going to ever again anymore*. I was :shock: at how tiny it was: it makes a Honda 919 look huge in comparison.

I've always had a soft spot for Buells, unreliable as they are, and I might be putting a Lightning XB125Scg (the cg means it's been lowered) on my "favorite bikes" list.

Buell_XB12Scg_003r.jpg

*Sadly, it's the only one in the area that sells Honda parts. And the people there are pricks, and everything's overpriced...so I'm gonna build my own Honda bike dealership! With blackjack! Aaaaannd hookers! Actually, forget the Honda dealership, and the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing.

You know that you can get any Honda part at any Honda dealer, right? A Honda car dealer should be able to order motorcycle parts for you.

As for the Buell: I got a chance to ride one of those. It wasn't terrible, but it should have been much better than it was, especially for the cost. One of the major problems with them is that the fuel is in the frame, which is wrapped around the motor. The motor can get so hot that it boils the fuel in the lines, which vapor-locks the motor until you let it cool all the way down.

Also, the sales guys flat out lied to us about who developed the 1125R. They said that Buell was instrumental in the design of the bike and the motor, but they contracted Rotax to build the powerplants. Actually, Buell had almost no input in the design of the bike other than slapping their name on it.

I may be buying a Honda Pacific Coast today. We'll see what happens.

Great bike! It was way ahead of it's time when it was introduced and it still looks amazing today.

Pacific Coast goodness:

HondaPacificCoast1.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love the Honda parts distribution chain - so long as you have the part number to give to the clerk, they can get it regardless of if they normally carry the type of Honda the part is for.

The PacCoast owner hasn't gotten back to me, hope she calls me back soon.

Last edited:
The nearest Honda car dealership is pretty far too, but I'll keep that in mind next time. I don't think I'll need to order any Honda parts anytime soon, however.

Should be a fun project, but a bit overpriced for something with an engine stuck in first gear. Also, I've got that exact same cheapo fairing on my own bike, it's a "Viper" fairing and costs about $100.

Anybody in TX want a project? Join the fun! You know you want to. :D

That is a good day. Mine so far has included three piles of dog poop and one puddle of dog pee ion my kitchen. None of those are motorcycles.