The goverment can use GPS to track your car without warrent.

Last time I checked I wasn't under investigation by the DEA. If you are then I can understand your concern :dunno: I also never said that its a good idea to slap GPS trackers on people's vehicles... unless a government agency has good reason to believe that they are involved in illegal activity, that is.

And no, of course we don't have privacy inside our cars - why do you think its illegal to park in front of Home Depot and have sex in the back seat?

What it comes down to is this: the DEA agents did not breach the suspected drug dealer's privacy. They did, however, decide to track him because they had reason to believe that he was growing marijuana in his home (which turned out to be the case). Would you be happier if they simply followed him around?

Last time I checked I wasn't under investigation by the DEA.
Well then you've got nothing to worry about! Why would you be uncomfortable with the gov't having the authority to track you where ever you go?

LeVeL said:
Would you be happier if they simply followed him around?
Yes, I would. Because that would've been legal. The government can't invade your privacy without probable cause. You need probable cause to get a warrant. You need a warrant to track people's every movement, otherwise it's a violation of civil rights. The DEA didn't have enough on this guy to get a warrant. I'm sorry if I don't like the government snooping around because they "had a good reason". That's not good enough.

Well then you've got nothing to worry about! Why would you be uncomfortable with the gov't having the authority to track you where ever you go?
If they have reason to believe that I have committed a serious crime then they can go right ahead and track me. Once they see that they are mistaken (I'm pretty sure most of the time they get these things right) and that I am a law abiding citizen, they'll stop tracking me.

The government can't invade your privacy without probable cause. You need probable cause to get a warrant.
Good thing the DEA did not invade this guy's privacy then.

Who watches the watchers and how do they like it?

Oh and they will never ever make a mistake like this will they - as they are perfect:

Last edited:
If they have reason to believe that I have committed a serious crime then they can go right ahead and track me. Once they see that they are mistaken (I'm pretty sure most of the time they get these things right) and that I am a law abiding citizen, they'll stop tracking me.
I'm surprised you're willing to put that much trust in the government. Personally I'd like to see our rights expanded, not eroded. And make no mistake; this is an erosion of our Constitutional rights. The whole point that I'm making is that if they had a "good reason" (eg probable cause) to track this guy they could've gotten a warrant. They obviously couldn't and they managed to get away with it.

I'll ask again, do you think it's a good idea to allow the government to track people's movements, without warrant, without your consent, without your knowledge? Not because you may or may not be a criminal or whatever. Do you think it's a good idea to give the government that authority?

LeVeL said:
Good thing the DEA did not invade this guy's privacy then.
Not in the 9th district, no. Not now anyway. But anywhere else in the country this would run counter to your 4th amendment rights. I can't wait to see what the Supreme Court has to say about this.

Cobol74 said:
Oh and they will never ever make a mistake like this will they - as they are perfect:
:lol: What the hell did I just watch? Am I in Dick Cheney's head?

Last edited:
^ Wait, so you're ok with them bugging his car, but not using that bug to track him without a warrant? Am I understanding you right?

Are you the government? Comparing the two is not the same.
Oh, so its ok for me to trespass but not for the government? I'll tell that to the cop that comes to ticket me next time I'm drifting around in a snowy parking lot :lol:

The ease with which you'd be willing to forgo your right to free travel is stunning.
Err... what?

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/2...-you-about-that-gps-it-installed-on-your-car/

Should The Government Have To Tell You About That GPS It Installed On Your Car?

Now here?s a prickly issue: should the government have to obtain a warrant in order to slap a GPS tracking device on your car as you drive around town doing whatever? A federal appeals court says yes, in fact, the government does have to obtain a warrant, if for no other reason than a ?reasonable person does not expect anyone to monitor and retain a record of every time he drives his car, including his origin, route, destination and each place he stops and how long he stays there.?

This all stems from a Washington, DC case in which a three-judge panel reversed a man?s life sentence. In the case that led to his sentence, the government had used evidence gathered from a GPS tracking device planted on the man?s car. Without that data, the case wouldn?t have amounted to much.

But let?s not dwell too much on the specifics of this case, and instead think of the larger issue. Let?s say you park your car in your driveway, and the police come by, attach a GPS device (without telling you, of course), then gather evidence of your wrongdoing. They then use this evidence to convict you of wrongdoing.

The appeals court decided that no, that would violate your ?reasonable expectation of privacy.?

You could, of course, choose to live a crime-free life, but I suppose that?s not what?s being discussed here.

This reversal has come rather quickly. I am a bit suprised, but rather pleased that a sane person/judge has read and understood what the Constitution really means.