The Hobbit

Finally got around to seeing it. After all the bitching and moaning, I was expecting it to be really bad. But as usual it was nothing like what everyone says it will be. I enjoyed it.

What bitching and moaning? Only because some people are louder in telling their opinion, it doesn't mean it's representative. Over the years I learned to trust the representative votings on imdb.com. Currently a bit over 205,000 people have given their vote for the 2nd Hobbit movie and it currently stands a 8.2 points out of 10, which means it's still within the top 250 movies of all times.

Part 1, by the way, was voted 8.1, which all considered is a fair vote, too.

A lesson I learned in life is, that people who disagree with a majority always try to exaggerate or to shout down other opinions in order to get heard or to give the impression they are the only ones right. We wouldn't have this problem, if everyone'd be honest and emphasized they're only expressing an opinion and not actual facts.

Last edited:
It's not the volume of the complaints, it's the content. Hearing people sum up the films, so far, as boring and being about a bunch of characters wandering around doing nothing but singing. It's like no one has ever bothered reading the book. Or complaining about it being too long, which I never understood since most book-adapted movies suck due to too much of the story getting butchered and left out, with the rest being rushed and poorly paced. Or even the complaints about adding stuff that wasn't in the book, which is a very common thing as well, I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was based on a book that didn't add stuff. Or at least drastically change the events as they were described in the book.

In the end it just seems like modern movies cater to the lowest common denominator. So much so that people have grown accustomed to it and complain anytime a movie is longer than 90 minutes. If I had to choose between a book-adapted film being gutted and crammed into a 90 minute movie or stretched into 2 or 3 longer movies, I'd take the long version every time.

As for this second installment of The Hobbit, the only part I didn't care for was the over-the-top barrel river escape war spectacular. I wouldn't have minded a little something to spice that part of the story up, but it really became way to excessive. Started feeling cartoony and slapsticky pretty quick. A short little attempt by the orcs to kill the dwarfs, which gets thwarted by the elves, while the dwarfs float away and escape in the confusion would have been just fine.

Last edited:
What bitching and moaning? Only because some people are louder in telling their opinion, it doesn't mean it's representative. Over the years I learned to trust the representative votings on imdb.com. Currently a bit over 205,000 people have given their vote for the 2nd Hobbit movie and it currently stands a 8.2 points out of 10, which means it's still within the top 250 movies of all times.

Part 1, by the way, was voted 8.1, which all considered is a fair vote, too.

A lesson I learned in life is, that people who disagree with a majority always try to exaggerate or to shout down other opinions in order to get heard or to give the impression they are the only ones right. We wouldn't have this problem, if everyone'd be honest and emphasized they're only expressing an opinion and not actual facts.
Spoken from someone whose nation really likes David Hasselhoff.

Yes, I have a point and am not taking a pot shot: there is no metric to whether or not you will like something. Consider those meta-review sites as probabilities... I.e. The higher the cumulative score the more likely you will also enjoy it. That's as far as you can go, really.

Last edited:
Spoken from someone whose nation really likes David Hasselhoff.

Yes, I have a point and am not taking a pot shot: there is no metric to whether or not you will like something. Consider those meta-review sites as probabilities... I.e. The higher the cumulative score the more likely you will also enjoy it. That's as far as you can go, really.

Well, your reply only indicates that you seem to love nursing your prejudices...

Honestly, though, your reply wouldn't be so spiteful, if something I wrote wouldn't have made you feel stung.

Who the shoe fits...

Well, your reply only indicates that you seem to love nursing your prejudices...

Honestly, though, your reply wouldn't be so spiteful, if something I wrote wouldn't have made you feel stung.

Who the shoe fits...
Get over yourself, chuckles. There really was no rancour in my statement.

No, even I wouldn't insinuate rancour... ;) Not with such a profane topic. But it's the way you write, that seems to indicate I hit a nerve somewhere, that's all.

Otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to reply ;)