The Ultimate macOS Thread

My current laptop weighs almost exactly the same as a 13" MacBook Pro, and while I can definitely lug it around, the 3 lbs might make a bit of difference when I'm also carrying a couple big science textbooks around.
Well I have no problem packing it with the science text books but it is too much if I have to bring the art history book (which is a whopping 11 lbs. ) :p
Instead of thinking "this is heavy" you should think "this would make an excellent weapon".

Heh, that's what I used to call my 12lb 17" Dell XPS!

Heh, that's what I used to call my 12lb 17" Dell XPS!

A friend had one of those, he asked me to carry it in...I was absolutely shocked at how damn heavy it was. :|

Then again, I find my 14 inch Dell Latitude D630 a tad heavy for a "portable" notebook.

My migration away from Apple makes some progress... well... kinda:

My migration away from Apple makes some progress... well... kinda:

That's as far as my migration to Apple has gotten so far!

Except that, since my laptop steadfastly refuses to boot 10.6, even though I've followed very detailed instructions about installing it on the very same computer, and my need to run some Windows CAD software, I have finally given Win7 a try (I went straight from XP to Ubuntu and then to OSX 10.6), and it's surprisingly nice to use. I still vastly prefer my desktop (hackintosh with 10.6), but the laptop is serving me well enough until Apple comes out with the perfect laptop for me.

Everything apart from AirPort and my mind grasping the concept of using Mac keyboard shortcuts despite the fact that i'm using a ThinkPad works.

EDIT: Well, and hibernate won't work, too, but i bet that's fixable.

Last edited:
Upgraded the hard-drive in my macbook pro 13" now it seems like the exhaust fan is always spinning :/

Did you disconnect the battery when you swapped the hard drive?

Try to reset the SMC:

Hold the left ctrl, alt, command and shift keys with the machine turned off and press the power button. You'll see the magsafe light flash once and that should take care of it.

Everything apart from AirPort and my mind grasping the concept of using Mac keyboard shortcuts despite the fact that i'm using a ThinkPad works.

Do you have any links with detailed instructions on how to get this up and running? I wouldn't mind having a dual boot Windows/OSX on my x201.

Try to reset the SMC:

Hold the left ctrl, alt, command and shift keys with the machine turned off and press the power button. You'll see the magsafe light flash once and that should take care of it.

nup, should I of :p Doesn't it void my warranty disconnecting the battery?

I'll give it a shot when I get home?

It's always better to disconnect the battery when you work inside a computer, we've had some cases where it breaks the hard drive cable sometimes.

Shouldn't void the warranty as there's no way to know that it was what broke the machine and it's a user replaceable part :)

In this case I think it might have corrupted the SMC, which is resetted easily :)

Try to reset the SMC:

tried that, it won't turn on when I'm holding down the buttons

what speed should the exhaust fan be running at? inano says it's at 2000rpm pretty much constantly

Last edited:
Well, the machine has to be already turned off.

On my MacBook (which is essentially the same as a MBP 13"), the fan idles at 2000RPM, enough to not be noticeable. Are you sure the noise wouldn't come from a noisier hard drive than before?

Last edited:

WiFi is notoriously hard to get working with non-apple cards, just order the exact model that is in the real MacBooks and you'll save yourself a huge headache. They're like $20.

Hibernate should work if you have a valid DSDT and rebooting and such work.

Well, the machine has to be already turned off.

On my MacBook (which is essentially the same as a MBP 13"), the fan idles at 2000RPM, enough to not be noticeable. Are you sure the noise wouldn't come from a noisier hard drive than before?

yeah this is definately a fan noise

Do you have any links with detailed instructions on how to get this up and running? I wouldn't mind having a dual boot Windows/OSX on my x201.

This one-stop manual should get you a system that boots from the hard drive: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

It is vital that you either install the VoodooPS2 driver using Multibeast and Kext Utility before the first reboot or have a USB mouse ready. A vanilla OS X does not know of a thing called PS/2, so you'd be stuck without a pointing device and OS X is impossible to use by keyboard shortcuts alone.

From there on it's mostly making a list of what does work and what doesn't (YMMV, some things that should never have worked at all according to the forums worked out of the box for me while others that should be a walk in the park did not work at all). Then the googling and patching starts, but apart from some things like non-atheros WiFi cards it's no worse than driver hunting for exotic hardware under Linux.

WiFi is notoriously hard to get working with non-apple cards, just order the exact model that is in the real MacBooks and you'll save yourself a huge headache. They're like $20.
Lenovo laptops only accept Lenovo Wi-Fi cards, these are $25 :p I'm still undecided if i pull this Hackintosh thing through or switch to Linux, will order one when decided.

Hibernate should work if you have a valid DSDT and rebooting and such work.
Rebooting does indeed work, shutting down only works sometimes - both did so out of the box which as far as i understood is not normal.
I just realized i don't have any battery controls etc either so i'll have to look into the whole ACPI business later today.

EDIT: Oh, and the stupidity of the people on OSX86 forums makes the TG section of FinalGear look like a postgrad area exam.

EDIT2: Here's a brilliant UltraNav Driver: http://wencheng.fang.sh.cn/2010/03/thinkpad-ultranavi-on-snow-leopard.html Less-cryptic install manual: Go to Extras/Extensions or whereever you installed VoodooPS2.kext to. Right-click on VoodooPS2.kext, click on "show package contents" (or similar, i've never seen an english OS X). Go to Contents/Plugins, remove VoodooPS2Mouse.kext and copy the ThinkPadUltraNav.kext you downloaded there instead. Run Kext Utility, reboot.

EDIT3: Installing VoodooBattery.kext gave me power management. Sleep still does not work, though.

Last edited:
Rebooting does indeed work, shutting down only works sometimes - both did so out of the box which as far as i understood is not normal.
I just realized i don't have any battery controls etc either so i'll have to look into the whole ACPI business later today.

EDIT3: Installing VoodooBattery.kext gave me power management. Sleep still does not work, though.

Are you using a DSDT.aml for your computer or using enablers?

Argh bad flashbacks. This is why I went to a Mac desktop. OSx86 is fun until the next odd 10.x.1 update.

Does linux have something to make it have expose? I like expose. I will miss that.