James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

Every face is your stalking face mate.

Today's repeat from September 2006: Farewell to France, written after filming his first Wine Adventure with Oz Clarke.

I know. :(

I've actually been wondering if they were waiting for the "commenters" to get bored and go away, but now, like squatters, they have justs taken over the place and are using it as their own private forum.

Not long now :) I can't wait to read something new from James.

I've actually been wondering if they were waiting for the "commenters" to get bored and go away, but now, like squatters, they have justs taken over the place and are using it as their own private forum.

I'm hoping that, when James starts writing new pieces, the number of contributors will start to creep up again. The "forum" seem to fall out with each other rather a lot, considering there's only half a dozen of them

It's been what, around six months now? I'm hoping (and guessing) his sabbatical might not go on much longer. I understand James is a very busy guy, but... :cry:

What is being published in the print edition of the Telegraph in the spot where normally James' would be? Surely not the old column they out online?

I was reading the comments today, and someone named Will wrote in asking why there hasn't been any new columns... James' response cleared up what I think we had all long suspected:

jamesdmay
Yesterday 10:52 AM

Sorry, Will, but I am literally dead and not being paid anything. Glad you got totally clattered.

Edit: I wrote a letter to The New York Times:

It has come to my attention that James May, a presenter on the tremendously popular BBC 2 show Top Gear and automotive journalist for The Daily Telegraph, has not been being paid to write new columns for The Daily Telegraph. The Telegraph has resorted to publishing his older articles, titling them "James May's greatest hits."

One might infer from this that James May could be available to write a similar column for another newspaper. His Telegraph column has a devoted readership and, should Mr. May be available, his writing could offer a unique opportunity for The New York Times.

James May's column can be read at the following web address:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/

Further Edit: I got somewhat of a non-response:

Thank you for contacting NYTimes.com.

We appreciate your feedback and have passed it along to the appropriate department. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance to you.

Last edited:
I was reading the comments today, and someone named Will wrote in asking why there hasn't been any new columns... James' response cleared up what I think we had all long suspected:

Edit: I wrote a letter to The New York Times:

Further Edit: I got somewhat of a non-response:

Maybe James was part of a budget cut. I guess they can recycle 8 years worth of his stuff, and then recycle it again. I love the fact you were looking for a new place for him. I am not sure an American newspaper would work though. But nice thought.

I think he should just keep writting them and when he has enough, put out a book. I already buy the others, I would certainly buy new material. I can honestly say I have never read one I didn't like.

Mr Nice wrote a letter and he didn't care if they didn't read it. :lol:

Seriously, James needs to get back to writing his column. He told me about 4 weeks at least 4 weeks ago (actually it was at the recording of 17x03!).

Baahahahahaha!

And too true, Skylock. If there really are disagreements with the Telegraph and he's not just on a break at the moment, James could definitely keep writing and publish another book. I adore his writing.

Seriously, James needs to get back to writing his column. He told me about 4 weeks at least 4 weeks ago (actually it was at the recording of 17x03!).

That's true, actually.

I was just hopeful that James would find a new paper to write for, since it seems the Telegraph isn't interested in paying him.