Time for the big one or: Quo Vadis, America?

While the concept is fine with me, I really hate that I have to carry an ID with in Holland all the time, so I kind of understand the US and UK.

We don't have to do that :dunno: why you need to. We only need to be in posession of a valid ID or passport, no need to have it with you.

Last edited:
I know. I have lived in Germany you know ;) That system is much better. Privacy does not have high stance in Holland.

Sounds to me like you need a proper ID system, controlled by a strong federal government.

CA and the Federal gov't already do this to an extent: CA issues ID cards to immigrants provided that they go to the DMV and sign up for one. The IRS does a similar thing by issuing an IRS "number", again this is dependent on whether the immigrant is willing to participate. An illegal immigrant can still file taxes without have this IRS ID number.

I forgot to state that the $600 mil figure is the amount that is projected to be spent this YEAR alone.

Creating a way to legalize immigrants would ease the burden on these programs. The horror stories you guys hear over there are not the same as what they are actually like, at least in most parts of the country. I don't live in Detroit.

I know Macguffin loves his America is dying horror stories.

Creating a way to legalize immigrants would ease the burden on these programs.
Good luck with that. The constantly changing regulations (depending on which party is in power) means that the bureaucracy one has to go through in order to properly legalize is both endlessly confusing and time consuming on the level of years.

Case in point: I have a friend from Mexico who got her PhD here, and she still doesn't have full citizenship yet. In fact, our immigration system is so punitive right now that she was in danger of being deported a couple months ago because of a paperwork snag. Our system is both a huge joke and a huge headache to her, and the stories she's told on her semi-monthly rants just infuriate me nowadays.

More on topic, the stock market is plummeting and gold is soaring. People in this country are truly idiotic.

Last edited:
6017734700bc9a0c806d.jpg

Good luck with that. The constantly changing regulations (depending on which party is in power) means that the bureaucracy one has to go through in order to properly legalize is both endlessly confusing and time consuming on the level of years.

Case in point: I have a friend from Mexico who got her PhD here, and she still doesn't have full citizenship yet. In fact, our immigration system is so punitive right now that she was in danger of being deported a couple months ago because of a paperwork snag. Our system is both a huge joke and a huge headache to her, and the stories she's told on her semi-monthly rants just infuriate me nowadays.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm doing my MA now, I have always paid my taxes, always followed the laws, support the American economy every day...and yet, as soon as my studies are over it's "bye,bye it was nice knowing you". I wish it changes soon, because I'm getting tired of being labeled as half a person.

More on topic, the stock market is plummeting and gold is soaring. People in this country are truly idiotic.

Yes, and to "fix" this the politicians think the correct solution is just to turn their heads at the people who are illegally instead fixing it so they could be legal. A little while ago a state rep got rear ended by a drunk driving illegal immigrant... and apologized to them. :| So this system makes it great for the criminals that want to come here but fucks over any decent person.

Oh, and because of the state health care hiccup I am dealing with right now, if I have a car accident or something I will forced to refuse to present any sort of ID on arriving at the hospital so I can get the health care treatment they give the people here illegally... because as a legal citizen I currently do not have any.

The only way to get citizenship in this country is to either marry into, buy, or have someone buy it for you (e.g. a big corporation).

The process has truly become retarded. At least CA is trying to make headway in this. Just recently they granted permission for illegal immigrant university students to receive private funding. The sad part is the country's disinterest in keeping these kids in the country once they graduate.

Last edited:
The only way to get citizenship in this country is to either marry into, buy, or have someone buy it for you (e.g. a big corporation).
That's what she's doing; her wedding is in a few months (to a guy she's been dating for years, mind you). Monsanto is sponsoring her to work, but if they decided one day that they just didn't like her anymore, she'd be put on the first flight back to Mexico.

It's stunning how the Greatest Country On Earth? can't even handle having doctorate-level brown people... because they're still brown and they still take jerbs.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm doing my MA now, I have always paid my taxes, always followed the laws, support the American economy every day...and yet, as soon as my studies are over it's "bye,bye it was nice knowing you". I wish it changes soon, because I'm getting tired of being labeled as half a person.

Your a "whole person" and counted as such, but there is an asterix next to you. * Student, foreign, temporary resident.

Dow Jones is up 429.92 today. Hopefully this means yesterdays -635 was just a knee-jerk reaction from The Street.

I think the stock market is run by a bunch of people who make money off of the American people.

And people were buying a ton of t-bills ... :? :lol:

I think the stock market is run by a bunch of people who make money off of the American people.

I think the stock market is a big gamble.

There's more truth to this than the obvious. You want to really know how the market is doing? Don't look at the DJIA; look at the insider trading reports from the SEC.

Insider trading is so easy it's stupid, of all the insider trading going on I wouldn't be surprised if only a 1/5 or 1/6th of it got reported.