Updated Mazda RX-8 Headed for Frankfurt Motor Show

A7XFan22

Source: Worldcarfans.com
Written By: Zack Newmark

583235743.jpg

^Note: this is the current Mazda RX-8.

An extensive update of the Mazda RX-8 is expected to be introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September. The news comes by way of Auto Motor und Sport, which says the new RX-8 will get several aerodynamic updates, new tail lights, and a redesigned interior.

The new RX-8 will stay as a rear-wheel drive car using a 231 horsepower rotary mid-engine with a second knock sensor to improve efficiency. Torque remains the same at 211 Nm. With the six-speed manual, the driver can take the car from 0-100 km/h in 6.4 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 234 km/h. Apparently, this will be the only version available in Germany, and possibly other countries as well.

Upgrades to the exterior include a new front and rear spoiler, and side skirts. The aerodynamic changes make the RX-8 look more in line with the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6. At the back customers will see bigger tailpipes, and LED lights in the tail lamps. Mazda is also including 19-inch alloys in dark gray.

Inside, the driver will sit comfortably in the standard equipment, black cloth and leather Recaro seats. A new instrument cluster will be seated behind the leather, three-spoke steering wheel with red stitching. A nine-speaker Bose audio system and Bluetooth will also be included.

Also standard is the limited-slip differential, anti-lock brakes, and stability & traction control.

The new Mazda RX-8 will be available for around ?38,000, according to the magazine. This price should be applicable in Germany, and -we hope- already includes taxes.

Please note: Attached image shows the current Mazda RX-8

Here's an idea - chop two doors off it and call it an RX-7.

Here's an idea - chop two doors off it and call it an RX-7.

Aw come on, those doors are brilliant. Besides, a new RX-7 is coming.

I really like the current RX-8 "R3". The standard one is a bit bland though...

I though it was only facelifted very recently? Oh well, brace yourselves for yet another stupidly happy looking Mazda.

Swedish people.

F**k the Swedes if they are too stupid to get out of the road. (Which is what those stupid pedestrian safety regs tell others - "We Europeans are too stupid to get out of the way of cars.")

F**k the Swedes if they are too stupid to get out of the road. (Which is what those stupid pedestrian safety regs tell others - "We Europeans are too stupid to get out of the way of cars.")

at least they can get out of the car and not need a drive-through ;)

It wouldn't make much sense if they brought back the RX-7 and called it an RX-7; they'll probably call it the RX-9 and, yes banning pop-up lights, should be banned. :p

My great-great grandfather was a merchant ship captain from Norway and he said "a Swede is nothing more than a Norwegian with his brain cut out".

It wouldn't make much sense if they brought back the RX-7 and called it an RX-7; they'll probably call it the RX-9 and, yes banning pop-up lights, should be banned. :p

They're nixing the RX-8 when the RX-9 comes out. The 9 will be slightly bigger and then the RX-7 will come out as a smaller car.

That's the scuttlebutt I've been hearing anyway.

I had my fingers crossed for 'new engine' but alas. Still waiting for that 16x...

And when/if the new 2 door comes out does come out, it will still be an RX7.

Last edited:
I'm with starfox, I don't care unless it has the 16x. This is just another mild bump.

Pop-ups = DOT fail unfortunately.

Ugh. I'm tired of health and safety getting in the way of nature's own law - natural selection. If you're stupid enough to be in the way, you deserve to die!

On topic though, I'm surprised they're updating it already. I swear it's only been like two weeks since they updated it...

They JUST facelifted it, after being at least four years in production. Now they facelift it again in very short time period. Did they mess something up? :)

I suspect the RX-9 was delayed and they needed something "new" to hold people over.