VW may sell Bugatti, Lambo

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Volkswagen Group could dispose of its high-end supercar brands Bugatti and Lamborghini, according Porsche boss and VW supervisory board member Wendelin Wiedeking.

When asked about the fate of the two brands in an interview with an industry newspaper, Wiedeking is quoted as saying ?no toys anymore?.

The move, which was flagged up as a possibility in an Autocar Analysis (3 January 2007), would help VW restructure its sprawling business and concentrate on reviving the VW brand as a true global player.

Wiedeking is also reportedly unhappy that Porsche is not the flagship brand in the group and has allegedly commissioned an ultra-high-performance Porsche supercar to break the top speed record set by the Bugatti Veyron.

Industry rumours suggest Bugatti could be downgraded to an ultra-exclusive coachbuilding operation once Veyron production is wound up.

Lamborghini, which sold over 2000 cars last year, could be sold off in the same way that Ford is currently disposing of Aston Martin.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/223808/

EDIT:

This articles over 2 years old.

Wall ->
wallbash.gif
<- me

/self-facepalm

:oops::blush::-|

:lock:

Last edited:
Sell high, buy low. Same works for car companies, Wiedeking is a smart man.

No more toys??? Then what the hell is the GT3 RS? Isn't it a track toy?

This is terrible news. Can you imagine entire Europe full of only VW Golfs and Porsche 911s???

No more toys??? Then what the hell is the GT3 RS? Isn't it a track toy?

This is terrible news. Can you imagine entire Europe full of only VW Golfs and Porsche 911s???

Moreso, he says no toys and then allegedly:
Wiedeking is also reportedly unhappy that Porsche is not the flagship brand in the group and has allegedly commissioned an ultra-high-performance Porsche supercar to break the top speed record set by the Bugatti Veyron.

I'm just saying... Up until now, Porsche and Lambo were two supercar makers in close competition but now one of the competitors owns the other one. I wouldn't like Lamborghini to get sold, as I think it flourished under the guidance of VW, but if that's the reality let's hope it doesn't go to a company like Renault.

I wouldn't like Lamborghini to get sold, as I think it flourished under the guidance of VW, but if that's the reality let's hope it doesn't go to a company like Renault.

Thinking exactly the same. Lambo has made some truely amazing cars under the period of Audi/VW ownership.

Please, please, please, please don't sell Bugatti. :(

I am thinking the exact opposite: I see no future for the Bugatti brand after the Veyron will seize to exist (production wise). There is no point in making another ultimate record breaking hyper car, such as the Veyron, especially when they lose money like they are doing now. And it's not like they could downgrade the Bugatti brand to a "normal" sportscar company, there already are so many. Basically the only reasonable way to guide Bugatti would be towards a luxury sports car segment, but there you already have Bentley and as we have seen with Maybach there is no point in uber luxury cars, which is what Bugatti essentially should be. And if they do decide to go that way, there is Bentley and Rolls Royce, Maserati with their Quattroporte and of course the usual exec. saloons, if they are not quite in the same price range as Rolls Royce for example. All those names already have such a strong market appeal, that ii should be very hard to emerge to that palying field as a new boy.

I say getting rid of Bugatti or downgrading it to something in the lines oc coachbuilder, as Wiedeking said, is very smart.

Lamborghini on the other hand....selling that is foolish. Of course I would have to see some black on white regarding how much Lamborghini actually brings money to the table and more importantly how much they are stealing Porsche's own customers. However the situation may be, I'm not so sure Porsche alone can reel in the big bucks the same way Porsche and Lamborghini do combined. Especially seeing how well Lambo has been doing lately. I understand Porsche's concerns about Lambo being a threat to them, but looking the VAG Group as a whole I think it is silly to sell Lamborghini.

Leave Lambo, sack Bugatti is what I would do.

Last edited:
Great, so we're going to see the Veyron replaced by a trumped up Beetle...

an ultra-high-performance Porsche supercar to break the top speed record set by the Bugatti Veyron.
Oh, no. Not this shit again.

A Porsche with Veyron like performance does sound rather interesting though :)

The rest, not so much.

Looks like Bugatti will disappear once again. Oh well can't wait to see what they will release when they are resurrected again in a decade or too. This isn't the first, or even second time this has happened with them.

How is Lamborghini a threat to Porsche if they own them? The money will still be going into the same company...

And is it Lamborghini's fault that Porsche can't design a new car since the 60s?

Sell high, buy low. Same works for car companies, Wiedeking is a smart man.

I doubt that they could sell off either Lambo or Bugatti for a profit in the current climate. The LBO market is non-existent and most car manufacturers have other things on their mind. So if they find one buyer, he will be bargain hunten. :p

How is Lamborghini a threat to Porsche if they own them? The money will still be going into the same company...

Since Lamborghini is inside Porsche's market, Porsche might be losing out on sales, especially since they are so much more profitable than Lamborghini. Also cooperation between Porsche and Lamborghini is kind of blocked through some stupid directive. So I guess Porsche are just fed up with them.

What the fuck ?

That sounds like Porsche jealousy at work, and a big ego to boot.

Honestly this sounds screwy. It wont turn out well, this.