Which Honda?

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
I thin I've made up my mind that I want to get a Honda, as my mustang, as much as I love it, is just not suited for road racing without significant modification. I'm wanting to spend around $5,000-$6,000usd and I want a somewhat never model, the old ones are to ugly! So I think the best two models would be an EK civic si, or a Integra gsr. Which of these two is the better car? I've never ridden in a car with a B18, but I have ridden in a b16a civic, and while it wasn't what I call FAST, it was perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind I do not wish to do any modifications, I just want to know which car out of the box is better. (braking, handling, performance in general + daily driver friendlyness)

There's no replacement for displacement. I think I'd get the Integra (not just because of the displacement). The Teggy Type-R was my favorite car for some time.

Can you get a used S2000 for that? I've wanted one of those for a while! All the fun of the miata, with 15% less sexual-orientation questioning!

Can you get a used S2000 for that? I've wanted one of those for a while! All the fun of the miata, with 15% less sexual-orientation questioning!

Good S2000's run about $15k so its not really in my budget :lol:

I want to get a Honda, as my mustang, as much as I love it, is just not suited for road racing without significant modification.

im surprised that no one has bashed him about the "road racing" problem yet.... but im sure the conservative bunch will show up pretty soon.

to answer your question, personally i'd take the GSR.

Except that whatever Honda you want to get will also require extensive modifications to be road race competitive.

A car magazine (wish I could remember which) took a stock Mustang GT and a stock Integra Type-R out to a road course track a few years ago. The Mustang was significantly faster around the track with the same drivers, to the surprise of everyone there.

And parts to make the Mustang even better are stupidly cheap. HPP up in Lewisville is one of the better mod shops, and there's always Dallas Mustang. My friend and I are building up his 03 Terminator Cobra for use as a driver/roadracer, if you need any tips.

Of course, if you have a V6 Mustang there's nothing you can really do with it and you should sell it.

Of the cars in that price range, the one that's closest to road race competitive (for its class) would be a used Mazda Miata. Spec Miata is great.

Last edited:
Except that whatever Honda you want to get will also require extensive modifications to be road race competitive.

And parts to make the Mustang even better are stupidly cheap.

But don't forget that someone could easily get parts for Hondas stupidly cheap as well. I've seen turbo kits for $600, where as the same turbos for VWs (when I was a fanboi, yo!) were over twice that.

I'm genuinely surprised no one has bashed him about going from a Mustang to a Honda... and he's from Texas! :lol: Just kidding, mate... I've always like the Integra GSR. There is a yellow one around here that is at all the local SCCA events. It does very well, but again could largely be on part of the driver.

My mustang was setup by the previous owner for drag racing, soft suspension, drum brakes....bad for road course. I could work up from my mustang, but thats alot of work that I really don't want to do. I'm not trying to be super-competitive, just something that would be fun to take out to the track and autocross every now and then. Gas mileage and overall reliability are also factors. (rev-match downshifting is alot funner in a car that goes to 8,500rpm then one that goes to 5,500rpm)

Then buy a Miata and be done with it, because ANYTHING you buy is going to need modifications.

Redoing your suspension should be cheap. There's always guys going from roadrace configs to drag and they're usually happy to swap out parts. Do you even have subframe connectors on your Mustang?

NoBoss: 500hp from a Mustang GT = $2K for bolt-on blower, exhaust, and some tuning work.

For 5 grand you can have a nice LS1 Camaro or Firebird, much much much much faster then pretty much anything honda makes.

NoBoss: 500hp from a Mustang GT = $2K for bolt-on blower, exhaust, and some tuning work.

I'm not arguing with you on the modability of a Mustang, hell that's what they were built and marketed for. But currently Hondas are the same way, easy to mod for cheap. Will you get more gains modding a Mustang bhp wise? Totally.

But if the guy wants a Honda.... he wants a Honda, and 2k properly done into one of those would be fun too.

if you want to go road racing on the cheap get a miata or look into Spec E30... otherwise i would get an EG civic Si (1992-1995) since they are lighter than the EK and came with the B16A stock in hatchback form (more lightness and stiffness) No matter what you kind of car you get there is going to modification required in order to get it into some form of racing trim so what you need to do is balance initial cost and cost of modifications. I suggest maybe checking out the Grassroots Motorsport forums there are always crazy people on there racing for nearly nothing they might be able to make a few more sugestions but i still say a miata is the way to go.

interesting reading:

GRM Spec E30
GRM CRX track rat
GRM STS2 Miata

Wait...you have a Mustang, and you want to get a Honda for...performance?

I think you just blew a hole in the time/n00b continuum.

500hp? $2,000? Where are you stealing your blowers and exhaust yo? The Procharger I was going to get for my 2v was at around $4k, my exhaust was $650 for headers, $2xx for off-road x, $4xx for catback. Then assuming you're an average enthusiast who would prefer to have a professional tune your EFI car...more $, with one of the best/simplest options being SCT programming, mine cost ~350-400, tune included. All prices are were the best on the market because I've got a number of connections, so I can't imagine what kinda stolen items you're hooked up with.

Last edited:
Dave: Careful shopping on eBay for used/closeout/whatever parts. I scored that same ProCharger system used for $900 from eBay. Complete Magnaflow system, including cats, X pipe and mufflers, $450 (got that for another friend's car). And so on.

The blower turned out to be too big for the Jag 4.2 I6, so I had to sell it, but it was far from the only Mustang blower setup for that price on eBay.

Dave: Careful shopping on eBay for used/closeout/whatever parts. I scored that same ProCharger system used for $900 from eBay. Complete Magnaflow system, including cats, X pipe and mufflers, $450 (got that for another friend's car). And so on.

The blower turned out to be too big for the Jag 4.2 I6, so I had to sell it, but it was far from the only Mustang blower setup for that price on eBay.

Lol, which kit...p1sc, d1sc, f1a?? Used?

If you are going to stick with your guns and get a Honda specifically for road racing, get either a DC2 Integra or a 1992-1999 Civic. Who cares what the car looks like, the Civic and Integra are the only US sold small hatch in that price range with front and rear independent double wishbone suspension. An example of good suspension combined with low power would be a Rover powered Lotus Elise.

Otherwise, get a Miata, or a B14 Sentra / 200SX with a 2.0 liter. They have that Scott-Russell rear link on the rear axle that seems to be very effective.

IIRC, it was a P1-SC, but it could have been a D1 instead. I lost interest when I discovered it was too big to fit and too big in terms of airflow for my 4.2. :p

Of course, if you have a V6 Mustang there's nothing you can really do with it and you should sell it.

Ahem, with all due respect...

http://www.krestsig.com/