Why not supercharged?

Thrasher

Car(s)
1976 BMW 2002
I have noticed it is quite common for cars to come with or are available with turbocharged engines as standard from the factory. A lot of these cars are just ordinary, daily driver type cars and not performance vehicles. However, there are very few cars that have supercharged engines and almost all of them are performance sports cars (ford GT, Merc SLR, Jag XKR). Why is there such a lack of factory supercharged engines in general and why are they never used on just normal cars?

You're absolutely right, a supercharger is far more convenient for "normal" driving.

Could be that, with "normal" driving, a turbo charger typically isn't doing much of anything. When you want to rev the nuts off it and drive like your pants are on fire, the turbo will wind up and give you the ride of your life ;)

So, slow and calm driving for usual daily driving, top-end power when you want to have some fun.

This may be wrong but don't superchargers generally rob the car of torque? For everyday cars, torque is more important than HP, which turbos can generate of alot (torque).

This may be wrong but don't superchargers generally rob the car of torque? For everyday cars, torque is more important than HP, which turbos can generate of alot (torque).

Superchargers "rob" of power/torque but provide more than they take. Superchargers are more responsive then turbos, and provide more torque. Thats the simple answer.

I always figured superchargers weren't used because the only country who really cared to use them (America) just rather go with a bigger engine. The Mercedes did stick with them for a while.

Engineers being engineers prefer turbos because people think they are "free" power. But if you look at a lot of factory turbo cars they have extremly wide torque curves (volvo and VW usually get 4000rpm's of Peak torque). Superchargers in essence make a small motor feel a bit bigger, though they still are more effecient than a bigger engine if I'm not mistaken.

Plus there is still the "No Turbo No Care" crew.

Last edited:
Superchargers also whine while turbos don't as much, correct?

I think that just depends on the type or turbo or supercharger.

But I think the reason why Superchargers are used less on normal cars is because of wear and tear, a Supercharger is always working regardless of how you drive whereas Turbo only works when you actually want to go faster than normal... so if you drive with a Superchared car as a daily driver, your maintenance costs are going to be quite high.

Oh, turbochargers can give you great torque (the original Dodge SRT4 is a good example...it got most of its available torque at 2,000 RPM from a turbocharged 2.0L IIRC), but that is not necessarily the case.

Turbos don't really wine at all (at least the turbos I've driven). They just make a blowing sound that really pumps your adrenaline! :)

Superchargers make a whining sound and sometimes a blowing sound, I think.

I think that just depends on the type or turbo or supercharger.

But I think the reason why Superchargers are used less on normal cars is because of wear and tear, a Supercharger is always working regardless of how you drive whereas Turbo only works when you actually want to go faster than normal... so if you drive with a Superchared car as a daily driver, your maintenance costs are going to be quite high.

I really doubt this... It all depends on what the SC is programmed to kick in at. A supercharger for the S2000 starts to kick in at 5k all the way to 9k. Thats makes driving around town awesome because unless your a heavy foot you won't be going into boost that much as you would with a Turbo.

I had a T28 in my last car. A 240sx with a S14 SR20DET, the turbo is quite big and good for 275ish hp. Maybe 300hp, forgot what the limit was. And that sucker was always on no matter how much of a lightfoot you were.

If you go on the S2000 board and go to the Force Induction section you'll see more post on problems with Turbo's than you would with the comptech or vortech supercharger kits. Plenty owners with Supercharges that has gone over 100k miles on the same engine with no problems.

Turbos don't really wine at all (at least the turbos I've driven). They just make a blowing sound that really pumps your adrenaline! :)

Superchargers make a whining sound and sometimes a blowing sound, I think.

Turbos don't wine and they don't blow. They suck... as in they suck in air. The bigger the turbo the more sucking air they will do... which in turn you hear it louder than a small T25 - T28 do. They blow do to adding a Blow off Valve, which you really don't need to add. Turbos are getting more techincally advance that a regular factory BOV would be just fine... But like most of you, I love the sound of a turbo blowing off... which is why I had the TurboXS RFL (Really Fucking Loud) BOV... god it was bad ass lol.

Supercharges now can be equip with a BOV like a turbo car. Its not going to sound quite the same, but its close hehe...

Superchargers are hard on the crankshaft. Motors not built for them will surely break.

Packaging would be a good explanation for lack of supercharging. It can only be put in so many places. Intercooling is also not easy.

Superchargers are way better at producing more power immediately off idle, at the expense of lack of peak power. They are awesome power band wideners, or if you like "they make and engine feel bigger". Turbos are more of a free lunch, but they stink at part throttle and are useless at low revs.

Like every other part of a car, it comes down to the overall package.

Oh, and while we're here: all that matters is HP production, no matter if it's a dump truck or a motorcycle.

So, slow and calm driving for usual daily driving, top-end power when you want to have some fun.

with the variable valve timing, cam-phasing, cam-changing technology, it's like that without the need of some charger

i think theres a few u can get in Aus with a supercharger:
Toyota Aurion TRD
Mitsubishi 380 (wots the model with it? Ralliart?)
Holden Monaro VXR 500 (r there any here?)

I really doubt this... It all depends on what the SC is programmed to kick in at. A supercharger for the S2000 starts to kick in at 5k all the way to 9k. Thats makes driving around town awesome because unless your a heavy foot you won't be going into boost that much as you would with a Turbo.

I had a T28 in my last car. A 240sx with a S14 SR20DET, the turbo is quite big and good for 275ish hp. Maybe 300hp, forgot what the limit was. And that sucker was always on no matter how much of a lightfoot you were.

If you go on the S2000 board and go to the Force Induction section you'll see more post on problems with Turbo's than you would with the comptech or vortech supercharger kits. Plenty owners with Supercharges that has gone over 100k miles on the same engine with no problems.

a big turbo will have more lag and therefore will be on less often if you're not leadfoot... but as for a lagging supercharger, that purely defeats the purpose of one, isn't the only advantage of a supercharger is that it doesn't require any lag, it comes on as soon as the throttle is on... and IMO, any forced induction system on a S2000 would not last at all, the compression is just too high.

And one more thing about your next post, yes most of the time BOV's are not very useful in most situation's as the turbo is too small, big when you move on the the Big ones, I'm talking Garett TD-06/HKS 3240, you'll need a BOV.

I have noticed it is quite common for cars to come with or are available with turbocharged engines as standard from the factory. A lot of these cars are just ordinary, daily driver type cars and not performance vehicles. However, there are very few cars that have supercharged engines and almost all of them are performance sports cars (ford GT, Merc SLR, Jag XKR). Why is there such a lack of factory supercharged engines in general and why are they never used on just normal cars?

I think it's the same mentality of giving every car a V-8. People hear the word "turbocharged" and they start acting like fanboys. Turbos are cheaper, but another reason to use them is the recooperated energy. A factory turbo is probably set to help regenerate the energy lost from the ineffecencies of the engine, and thus improve gas mileage (one of many reasons why any modern diesel is a turbo-diesel).

Turbos will make a bit of a whistle depending on the size. Larger ones, bigger wistles (think about the heavy duty trucks). Personally, I find the sound of a supercharger giving it's all more awesome than that of a turbo. Leaves you with the feeling of "what the hell was in that thing?" moreso than a turbo with a loud blow off valve.

a big turbo will have more lag and therefore will be on less often if you're not leadfoot... but as for a lagging supercharger, that purely defeats the purpose of one, isn't the only advantage of a supercharger is that it doesn't require any lag, it comes on as soon as the throttle is on... and IMO, any forced induction system on a S2000 would not last at all, the compression is just too high.

And one more thing about your next post, yes most of the time BOV's are not very useful in most situation's as the turbo is too small, big when you move on the the Big ones, I'm talking Garett TD-06/HKS 3240, you'll need a BOV.

Superchargers can be clutched in a similar fashion as mechanical radiator fans. It can be programed, or there could be a "on/off" switch that the driver can use to engage the supercharger.

Since we have a tax reduction for cars up to 1.0 liter, a few years ago VW lanched a 1.0liter 16valve turbo engine (112hp) in Brazil and it's a sucess. Soon afterwards, Ford launches a 1.0 liter Fiesta with a supercharger (95hp)and it was a terrible flop. Why? The Fiesta had 17 less hp and mileage was poor( people reported as low as 17mpg). I drove the Fiesta and I must say it's a little on the dull side. The moment you step on the gas it pushes forward and that's it, you don't feel any improvement if you keep revving the engine. And on a personal note, I find the supercharger whine annoying.