Looks like the GT-R isn't so great after all...

I'm sorry. I should have done it but I simply despise it when somebody cries out for proof, when all he has to do is type two (!) words into Google. And I don't think in win or lose terms in discussions ;)

What two words? Power Porsche? Porsche Reliability?

If you can't be bothered to present your evidence upon request, why should we be bothered to listen to you?
:lol:

That's the initial quality study; in other words, did they bolt the doors on properly and did they remember to put the engine in. Where's the long term study?

Meh, I couldn't care less really. I think this thread got tired long ago I'm just trying to reach 4kposts by the end of the year

+1:)

I'm done and my conclusion is; if you want a reliable racecar you are better off building one.

QFT
http://img361.imageshack.**/img361/4239/vlcsnap4894995hf3.png
http://img361.imageshack.**/img361/vlcsnap4894995hf3.png/1/w576.png

I'm done and my conclusion is; if you want a reliable racecar you are better off building one.
True that. But if mankind has learned one thing over the centuries: the only things that are perfect are the things you build yourself. :)

So, to summise...

-The GTR is unreliable, because one of them broke after being drag-launched 20 times in its break-in period
-Nissan are bastards, for refusing to pay for the guys transmission
-Porsche have more pedigree than Nissan despite not being in the racing game as long, because nowadays theyre more expensive

Hows my aim?

-Porsche have more pedigree than Nissan despite not being in the racing game as long, because nowadays theyre more expensive
Correction, Porsche have more pedigree because they have been a lot more successful at doing the racing game. Nissan has yet to win a world championship level racing series. Porsche has won several. It's not really how long you have been in racing that matters, it's how successful you have been that does.

And this is a part of why Porsche can charge more money for their cars, and have people still line up to buy them...

I'm confused by this thread. Do we still hate the Nissan GT-R, and Nissan in general, or not?

But... as you guys are arguing about transmission and engine quality in that ranking (Powertrain Quality):

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/rating...and/sortcolumn-3/descending/page-#page-anchor

Lexus and Infiniti are tied for 1st with Porsche being 23rd.

So all that means is that if you like interiors and design then buy a Porsche but keep in mind they break down as much as a SAAB, Saturn, and Hyundai.

That stat means absolutely nothing. They have Honda of all companies rated at the same level as Porsche, below Infiniti (which has 5 stars for some reason) which has some of the worst powertrain reliability out there.

What two words? Power Porsche? Porsche Reliability?

If you can't be bothered to present your evidence upon request, why should we be bothered to listen to you?
:lol:

There is no real evidence out there that you can get your hands on easily. However I've owned several Porsches, running the gamut from 928s to 944s to 964s and while maintaining them properly I've never had a single issue with the major components. I've had a couple electrical problems on the 928 but they were easily resolved and very minor. The 964 I owned had over 120k miles on it so claiming it was a car that didn't see the road much would be false. In fact I knew the previous owner for several years and it never put a foot wrong with him either.

That stat means absolutely nothing. They have Honda of all companies rated at the same level as Porsche, below Infiniti (which has 5 stars for some reason) which has some of the worst powertrain reliability out there.

So let me get this straight, you assert that the JD Power drivetrain survey (where they actually go to the effort of collecting data) is a statistic that means actually nothing.

After all, it is objectively proved to be incorrect as you've just told us it is.

picard-facepalm.jpg

I'm confused by this thread. Do we still hate the Nissan GT-R, and Nissan in general, or not?
Looks like the people that do hate Nissan and the GT-R have either been convinced of the opposite or just have stopped posting.

There is no real evidence out there that you can get your hands on easily.

Yes, there is. I have posted it already on the previous page of this thread: http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/tuv-model/porsche-911

That data comes from the regular checks all German cars have to pass every 2 years to keep their license.

Strangely it has been completely ignored by those who demanded such a thing...

I suppose they missed it ;)

I admit there have to be considered differerences between how cars are used. It's probably true that Porsches usually don't get the same amount of milage, than... say... a VW Passat. But even if you compare the Porsche 911 to other cars which are used in a comparable way, like an Audi TT, a BMW Z3, a Mercedes SLK or a Mazda MX-5 (!), the 911 still stands out very clearly - especially when you look at the older cars. And the Boxster is not far behind.

I'd have to side with the Porsche supporters on this point. While they may have their problems I think you can safely say that for a relatively low-volume producer of high performance cars (at least until recently) they stand out among their competition as being more reliable. Even Clarkson, a Porsche hater, commented on how well built the 911 is when he tried to destroy one.

I can see why Spectre might consider them unreliable, there are a lot of factors at play, but ultimately, from my experience at least, they have a good reputation for reliability.

Motortrend has covered the story:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6296554/a...ill-it-be-too-late-for-some-buyers/index.html

They're missing a few vital bits, but there's also an important part:
Of course, already pointed out in the thread are the contents of the owner's manual and warranty information booklet. Both explicitly state what is and isn't covered. It's the warranty information booklet that best applies to Septskyline case and explains on page 30, under the "What is not covered" section:

"This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion resulting from... Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC off), except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow..."

To get the word straight from the horse's mouth, we turned to our source at Nissan who summed up the situation: "Switching VDC off doesn't void the warranty nor does running the Launch Control on the car. However, if someone switches off VDC, enables Launch Control and then breaks something while doing this, we wouldn't pay (under warranty) for the specific parts that break during this action."

As I see it, they now have the publicity they surely did not want. Knowing the U.S. consumer jurisdiction, this can only end badly for Nissan.

"What, you put a feature in your cars and when somebody uses it, it can result in damages that are not covered by the warranty???"

I wonder what result a lawsuit would have on that...

I can garan-damn-tee you that if you look in the Ferrari 599 manual it will have a similar clause in it reguarding the Launch Control.

I bet any vehicle with a launch control feature has the same or similar clause in it's manual/warranty...

Exactly. Otherwise people will just go and use LC constantly all day every day and then when something breaks come back and get it replaced for free. It's like I've said before - go and buy a new practically anything, redline clutch dump it all day constantly and see how long till something goes bang. Then go back to your dealer and say something's broken - see if they'll replace it under warranty for you. I can all but garuntee they won't, not matter who it is.

To quote James May: "Your mind cannot comprehend how little I'm interested in motorbikes" ;)

And you won't impress me any more with cheap polemics and your typical rant about those snobbish Europeans and how humbly they started, etc...

That's getting old.

May be hard to understand for a Jaguar lover but I'm not only talking about 20 year old cars here. I'm talking about the current situation of the year 2008. Actually most of the time I talk about what is now and not what has once been ;)

As it happens, though, every car is doomed to break someday. Some do it after 3 years, some after 10, some ofter 20. Even those which are very much taken care of, will some day turn to scrap metal (if they don't end up as exhibition pieces in a museum, that is).

Your Jaguars, too. Welcome to reality :)
Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 34,995 MSRP before options
Audi S4 Cabrio (no sedan in the line up) - 57,125.00 MSRP before options
Now take like 5K off the Cabrio since Sedans are generally cheaper and you are still left with 52,125 which is 18K more than the STi.

Still think more expensive is better? And keep in mind that I'm an Audi fanboy but an S4 willl get its ass handed to it by an STi.