Is this the Tesla sedan?

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
This is the teaser shot from Tesla
http://img512.imageshack.**/img512/5570/teslamodelsmg4.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.**/img512/teslamodelsmg4.jpg/1/w494.png

and this is what Road and Track thinks its gonna look like....

http://img512.imageshack.**/img512/1699/102320081443041416qb1.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.**/img512/102320081443041416qb1.jpg/1/w565.png

Tesla is making some big moves, literally. The company is planning to relocate from its current headquarters in San Carlos, California, to a $250 million facility in San Jose, California, the construction of which will begin in the summer of 2009. The reason? The Model S, an all-new 4-door 5-passenger zero-emissions luxury sedan powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. Unlike the Tesla Roadster, which is built in partnership with Lotus in the U.K. and based on a stretched Elise platform, the Model S will ride on a platform developed by Tesla.

Tesla says the Model S will get about 240 miles per charge while still offering "exceptional performance." Numbers being bandied about include 0?60 mph in less than 6 seconds. The Model S will have a base price of about $60,000 (versus the Roadster's $109,000 price tag) when it goes on sale in late 2010. Tesla recently hired Franz von Holzhausen as its chief designer; he was formerly the director of design for Mazda North America. His first project is to put the finishing touches on the Model S.

Looks decent.

pretty cool, I think I'll head down to their headquarters on thanksgiving break. I'll like to see their cars and take a closer look at how their car work.

Hopefully it looks like that.

But it's not like Tesla are in a position to really do anything right now. It's a victory for them if they survive.

What that doesn't say is that Tesla is hurting financially and just laid off most the people at the old headquarters - what few are being retained aren't getting any help to relocate or sell their homes in this shitty market.

Also, the way most people found out was from a public blog post.

^ If they treat their employees that badly I wonder what it would be like doing business with them as a paying customer? I have a feeling Tesla is going to become the new Hennessey...

^ If they treat their employees that badly I wonder what it would be like doing business with them as a paying customer? I have a feeling Tesla is going to become the new Hennessey...
Well seeing as how they're hemorrhaging money, I can't really blame them for cutting costs.

I really hope this company takes off, if it looks like that and costs that much (still very expensive, but not as ridiculous as the roadster) i do fucking want :drool:

I really hope this company takes off, if it looks like that and costs that much (still very expensive, but not as ridiculous as the roadster) i do fucking want :drool:

But you can have better performance for less than half the cost, and even better performance for the same cost. It does look great and is a different approach to a sports sedan, but it looks as if it's already outclassed even before it's released.

You know, a long time ago people were saying that it was a much better idea to just keep using horses. Cars were so expensive, and many were extremely low on power. Also, horses can reproduce. The idea behind Tesla cars is not to have ultimate performance, it's to still have good, enjoyable performance while moving away from fossil fuels, for whatever reason appeals to you most. As a car lover and total tech geek, I'd love to have a roadster because it's got some pretty advanced tech and can perform quite well. Of course, I would also have to own a few cars with huge V8s since as much as I love the Tesla, I don't think I could choose it over the wonderment that is the V8.

So basically, I'm with Matt. I want Tesla to take off and do well so that other companies will see that a good looking, good performing electric car can do well.

no otto-cycle motor, no care.

So you don't even think anything with a 2-stroke engine is worth existing?

But you can have better performance for less than half the cost, and even better performance for the same cost. It does look great and is a different approach to a sports sedan, but it looks as if it's already outclassed even before it's released.

But its a cool looking electric car that doesnt say "i eat organic celery for a snack and have lilith fair backstage passes on my window" everytime you drive it.

I'd love an electric car, and would pay a premium for it.

So you don't even think anything with a 2-stroke engine is worth existing?

When's the last time a car company put a two-stroke engine in their car?

But its a cool looking electric car that doesnt say "i eat organic celery for a snack and have lilith fair backstage passes on my window" everytime you drive it.

I'd love an electric car, and would pay a premium for it.

I agree that's it's a pretty cool car, and the instant torque of the electric motor would probably make it fun to drive. But while the Roadster is very very quick, this sedan just sounds a bit underwhelming.

Umm, since when does a sedan not sound a but underwhelming when compared to a roadster? As a matter of fact, how many sedans in general aren't underwhelming?

From Tesla's website:
Extraordinary times require focus
by Elon Musk
Chairman of the Board, Product Architect and CEO

published Wednesday, October 15th, 2008

These are extraordinary times. The global financial system has gone through the worst crisis since the Great Depression, and the effects are only beginning to wind their way through every facet of the economy. It?s not an understatement to say that nearly every business will be impacted by what has unfolded in the past weeks, and this is true for Silicon Valley as well.

At Tesla, we have decided that the wise course of action is to focus on our two revenue producing business lines - the Roadster and powertrain sales to other car companies. In the Roadster, Tesla has a unique product with a large order book that continues to grow, despite softness in the automobile sector. Our powertrain business is profitable today and is also growing rapidly.

Our goal as a company is to be cash-flow positive within six to nine months. To do so, we must continue to ramp up our production rate, improve Roadster contribution margin and reduce operating expenses. At the same time, we must maintain high production quality and excellent customer service.

For this critical phase of the company, the scope of my role at Tesla will expand from executive chairman and product architect to CEO. With SpaceX now having reached orbit and about to enter its third year of profitability, I can afford to increase time allocated to Tesla. Ze?ev Drori, who has made extraordinary progress with the company over the last year as CEO, will stay on the board of directors as vice-chairman and continue to help Tesla make the right decisions. It has been and will continue to be a pleasure and an honor working with Ze?ev.

Special Forces Philosophy and Consolidation of Operations

One of the steps I will be taking is raising the performance bar at Tesla to a very high level, which will result in a modest reduction in near term headcount. To be clear, this doesn?t mean that the people that depart Tesla for this reason wouldn?t be considered good performers at most companies ? almost all would. However, I believe Tesla must adhere more closely to a special forces philosophy at this stage of its life if we aspire to become one of the great car companies of the 21st century.

There will also be some headcount reduction due to consolidation of operations. In anticipation of moving vehicle engineering to our new HQ in San Jose, we are ramping down and will close our Rochester Hills office near Detroit. Good communication, tightly knit engineering and a common company culture are of paramount importance as Tesla grows.

What Does This Mean for the Model S?

Tesla is absolutely committed to development of our next generation vehicle, to be unveiled early next year. However, we are going to reduce activity on detailed production engineering, tooling and commitments to suppliers until our Department of Energy loan guarantee becomes effective.

The DOE loan guarantee will cover most of the Model S program at a very low cost of capital compared with raising equity financing in what could quaintly be described as a ?bear market.? The loan funding can only be drawn down after we receive environmental approval for our new 89-acre consolidated headquarters in the city of San Jose. If all goes reasonably well, we will receive that approval in Q2 next year.

The net result will be a delay in start of production of the Model S of roughly six months to mid-2011. On the plus side, we will spend the extra time refining the vehicle design and powertrain technology, so the car will end up being slightly better.

Financing

The Tesla investors and I are unequivocally dedicated to ensuring the success of Tesla. If you have bought a car from Tesla or are thinking of doing so, please know that I personally stand behind delivering a product that you will love and continuing to develop new models in the future. We are not far from being cash flow positive, but, even if that threshold ends up being further than expected, I will do whatever is needed to ensure that Tesla has more than sufficient capital to get there.

I?d like to thank the loyal customers of Tesla that have stood by us through thick and thin. Beyond delivering a great Roadster, Tesla will find other ways to reward that loyalty, including among other things an exclusive preview of our upcoming Model S sedan.

I'm a big fan of Tesla (got to ride in one, too!) and I an anxiously awaiting the Model S. No, I still won't be able to afford one, but still...

Buying a Tesla isn't about getting the best performance value.

What that doesn't say is that Tesla is hurting financially and just laid off most the people at the old headquarters - what few are being retained aren't getting any help to relocate or sell their homes in this shitty market.

Also, the way most people found out was from a public blog post.

a) Oh no...people aren't getting paid to sell their homes in San Carlos to move to San Jose? 31 minute drive from their headquarters to the center of San Jose, and if they can take Cal-Train (which I'm sure they will encourage) you can probably get there in 30 minutes during rush hour.

b) 25% staff reduction. Significant, but not the end of the world. Heck, the company I work for is going into Christmas with hiring restrictions on store staff to 40% lower than last year. It's going to be a miserable short-term future for a lot of non-essentials.

Umm, since when does a sedan not sound a but underwhelming when compared to a roadster? As a matter of fact, how many sedans in general aren't underwhelming?

All I'm saying is, based on the performance of the Roadster, I was kind of expecting Tesla to make a hardcore sports sedan. Plus based on the sketch it looks pretty badass, it's just that ~6 seconds to 60mph doesn't sound all that impressive.

Ah, I see. Well, they way I figure it, Tesla doesn't actually want to be known as a 'sports car' company, but rather an electric car company that produces a range of vehicles with the kinds of price points and performance levels available in the current car market. They want to be a "real" car company, meaning they have to be able to appeal to as many as possible, while having the unique twist of only making electric and hybrid cars. (I think I read somewhere that they were considering making a hybrid down the road because they realise that while they consider electrics to be the next standard, some transition time is needed before electrics can fully replace gas and some stepping stones will be required.) This is why I really want them to succeed, it will, in my opinion*, really be the true beginning of electric cars becoming just as commonplace as gas cars.

*Am I going to get beat up for actually typing that out?