Smartphone recommendations?

Smartphone recommendations?

• Total voters
I'd stay away from the iPhone. I have an iPhone 3G and it's been replaced twice already (it would quit reading my sim card) got it launch day after waiting in line for 7 hours so I WAS an Apple fan. It also drops calls often which I'm quite sure is the phone itself since my Blackjack with the same sim doesn't have problems here. On the other hand it's decent for an internet device (decent because of the occasional crashes and lack of things like flash support). The newest software [2.2] doesn't seem to help much

Personally I'm probably going to grab a Nokia E71 for myself as a christmas gift, then the iPhone gets given away to someone I know who wants an iPod Touch. I'm quite sure she won't mind a couple week old replacement iPhone instead.

From your list I'd probably grab a G1 as I haven't had too good experience with Windows Mobile phones. Blackberry's have been good for me but I think I'd give Android a try if I wasn't set on having a phone with Symbian again. For me Symbian has always worked best.

Used an iPhone for the first time yesterday, friend's phone.

It was alright to use, bit confusing but you'd get used to it.
But as evident by how long it took to make and 'sync' the pathetic ringtones, along with the realisations made about its limitations....stear clear.

If you're gonna go with AT&T and want something kinda cheap, yet still decently recent, I recommend the Blackjack II. I've got one, and since I just upgraded to Win Mobile 6.1, it has become a decent little smart phone for a damn good price... I'd recommend staying away from the iPhone, i've seen more broken/cracked ones than I have seen working ones. Same with the few HTC devices i've seen.

If you have to break the warranty to do something it does not count :)

You should know everything about that - tuning your own car while its still under warranty(?). :)

But who, thats over-average interested in gadgets, does not jailbrake his iPhone? Nobody.

I was under the impression that most (if not all) of the iPhone hacks still only worked on the 2G?

I tried the keypad on the Touch Pro today while snooping around trying to find an HD, and it's very nice to use if a little cramped for me personally. Put it this way, it wouldn't stop me buying one. :)

Last edited:
Yea, I am almost sure I'm going to get either the Sprint Touch Pro or the ATT Fuze. I don't know which one yet.

I was under the impression that most (if not all) of the iPhone hacks still only worked on the 2G?

You can jailbreak the 3G, I believe it's network unlocking that's still pretty hard / impossible to do (other than SIM hacks).

You voted in the poll before everybody else, so why make the thread in the first place? :p

I voted for the way I was leaning before I heard people's comments mostly because it was annoying to have to click "view results" every time I wanted to see the poll. Since I have heard what people have to say, (esp. cvrefugee's info on Sprint's network and tethering ability) and done a bit more research (Fuze has an annoying keyboard layout, Verizon Touch Pro has less RAM, using G1 did not impress me and reports of network problems are widespread), I have changed my mind and am now leaning toward the Touch Pro on Sprint.

If I hadn't made the thread I wouldn't have learned some things about the phones, and I wouldn't have been forced to consider my options as carefully if it weren't for the questions and opinions of others. Sometimes being able to talk out a decision like this one really makes the right choice clearer, and since I don't have any gadget-minded friends where I live now, this was the logical place to ask.

My current plan is to wait a week or two and see what, if any, holiday deals sprout up on Sprint, then get their Touch Pro with a one year contract.

I will actually end up keeping my Tmo contract, as my contract doesn't expire for a couple more months than I thought (didn't realise I was eligible to renew my contract for an upgrade discount two months before my contract actually expired). Changing to their cheapest plan ($20/m) will cost me about $150 less than doing an early termination. This is made more complicated by the fact that I want to have a new phone number, but also want to port my old number to VoIP so that I can forward it to my new number without using the minutes on my soon-to-be-minuscule Tmo contract.

Tmo's network has been so dodgy since they rolled out 3G that I don't mind paying double for a few months just to be on a fast and reliable network for a change. Having a snazzy new phone is a bonus.

If you do decide to go with Sprint, my friend works for them and can get you a small discount on that plan I suggested earlier ($59 vs. $69 per month). Go to http://www.sprint.com/sero and I'll PM you the details. One thing I've heard about the Touch Pro is that the battery life isn't all that great. There are custom ROMs you can load that will alleviate this problem, head on over to PPCGeeks to check those out.

Thanks for the offer; I have PM'ed you. I'm not worried about the battery life, my blackberry only lasts about 30 hours per charge (less if I make phone calls), so I don't have high standards. Thanks for pointing me towards PPCGeeks, it looks like a valuable resource. One of the things that makes me excited about this phone is the hacker community around it.

I'm still fighting with Tmo about my contract. I would really like to avoid the $200 termination fee, but I don't know if that is going to happen. C'est la vi. I need to have a working phone, and there's no point in paying Tmo for a network that doesn't ever work. I have been on the phone with them off and on today to try to persuade them that their network is b0rked, in the hopes that they will either wave my termination fee or give me a free month or two (which would make keeping the contract cheaper than closing it early). Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I will probably just end up paying the termination fee. I am tired of dealing with a broken network with terrible support, and I want my snazzy new phone!

I will borrow this thread since I'm looking to get a smartphone.

I have done my homework and I am leaning towards the Nokia E71 at the moment, but I am wondering if the phone has the possibility for dual sim cards, if not, are there any worthy alternatives that has?

I don't want the Iphone or anything that looks remotely like it, I want QWERTY, if not possible normal keys, and I want a decent camera, the cost is irrelevant.

Blackberry Curve 8900 (EDGE) that's what I want don't need 3G honestly..

If I needed 3G I'd go for a G1..Heck the G2 might be out soon full touch screen :eek:

Last edited: