The "New Toys" Thread

^ The T1i is know in the rest of the world as the Eos 500D...

Finally something worth posting in this thread.

Img251.jpg

500GB of goodness :p And for the best price! Free. :D Now to fill it up.

Last edited:
^lol @ the condom wrapper next to it

Also, I never meant for this thread to become a whole "Mac vs PC"fest.
I just wanted to say that I don't like "Mac" people in general, who seem to think that their computer is better than anything else, because it has fruit on the back

Since Vodafone.de only has the Tattoo and the Magic of all Android devices, and the screen on the Tattoo didn't make any impression on me at all, I made a decision and got myself a shiny white HTC Magic:

htc-magic.jpg

Wanted first to get the black one, but having played around with it in the shop, it consists completely of fingerprints. The white one gets fingerprints on the screen fast, but the glossy black one doesn't have a single spot where they wouldn't stay. So for a change, I thought white should be okay.

Android is great, even after only half a day toying around with. Lots of nice and practical apps, most of them for free, the interface is heaven after WinMo 6, and the responsiveness is quite nice. Will see how it works out in the next time.

I have a severe case or droid envy.

Let us know how it is leviathan. I'm considering one instead of the Hero since its a fair bit cheaper.

Also, HTC just recently release a SenseUI upgrade for the Magic in Taiwan.

Let us know how it is leviathan. I'm considering one instead of the Hero since its a fair bit cheaper.

Also, HTC just recently release a SenseUI upgrade for the Magic in Taiwan.

There are two hardware "sets" for the Magic out there, the 32A (more ram, no branding) and the 32B (less ram, Vodafone/myTouch 3G branding). The Sense UI upgrade will only come to the 32A devices, afaik. Mine is a 32B.

However, the positive side of the 32B are all the integrated "with Google" services and, more importantly, over-the-air updates: I've got Android 1.5 on my device, but have seen reports on Vodafone forums of 1.6 upgrades being offered to same device owners already. For the 32A, one has to download and install the firmware manually.

me three.
Sadly, I have no use for 90% of its functions, but that has never stopped anyone

Yes, when it comes to a gadgets, I'll take as many bells and whistles as possible, even if I'll use a handful of them in my lifetime :D

There are two hardware "sets" for the Magic out there, the 32A (more ram, no branding) and the 32B (less ram, Vodafone/myTouch 3G branding). The Sense UI upgrade will only come to the 32A devices, afaik. Mine is a 32B.

However, the positive side of the 32B are all the integrated "with Google" services and, more importantly, over-the-air updates: I've got Android 1.5 on my device, but have seen reports on Vodafone forums of 1.6 upgrades being offered to same device owners already. For the 32A, one has to download and install the firmware manually.

Over-the-air updates make no difference for me down here in Australia though.....

Might just wait till I go back to HK, see how much money I have left after buying a new laptop and decide.

I understand it, if you're just a noob computer user and don't want any hassle (although most of that is gone too, now with win7), and want something that's pretty and nice and shiny. But don't roll your eyes at me and go "Macs are better because they never get viruses" you dumbass!

I've been using computers since the days of acoustic modems (I first touched a TRS-80 in 1979). I've been using Macs as my primary computers for about 5 years now, since OSX became viable.

I can give you a bunch of cool, geeky reasons to use a Mac if you really want to get into it. To give you some food for thought:

• It's BSD Unix underneath so you have the "noob" UI but still have a Unix command prompt underneath
  • Lots of little nice touches -- optical in/out built into the 3.5mm audio jacks, slot loading drive, back-lit keyboard, mag-safe power adapter
  • The multi-gesture trackpad is really great and I feel crippled using a PC track pad (they really should rip off Apple's gesture technology)
  • Lots of little things will bring a smile to your face. I use Skype to talk to colleagues all the time and also listen to music on my headphones most of the time. On a PC I have to scramble to answer the call and stop playing the music. On the Mac, when I pick up the skype call the music automatically pauses. That's the kind of thing using a Mac gets you in 1,000 little ways.
  • You can still run Windows on it if you want, bare metal
  • Even cooler, run Parallels or VMWare Fusion, you can run Windows at the same time. For the coolest effect, you can run in "Unity" mode where the start menu gets integrated on your desktop and you can run Mac and Windows apps side by side.
  • The hardware is sturdy and well thought out. Crack open a Mac Pro and tell me the last PC you saw that was so well thought out.
  • Apple is far more reasonable than MS with OS upgrades. Latest Mac OS = $29, $49 for a 5-user family pack. Win 7 upgrades range from $129-$249.

Don't be a mindless hater; use a Mac for a few days and then complain. I got plenty of complaints, but if I had to have only one machine, it would be a Mac.

Last edited:
Superior hardware? It's basically the same stuff: Intel CPU, ATI video card, etc. I don't see how a MAC motherboard would be any better than a nice ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard, so what is so "superior"?

For starters, Apple works closely with Intel. Some examples:

- Got the first Core 2 based Xeons months before the PC market got them -- and on their desktops
- Got the low-voltage CPU in the Macbook Air designed exclusively for them by Intel
- Similarly it looks like they will be getting the first 8-core I9(?) CPUs in the Mac Pro months before any other PC vendors.
- First manufacturer to mainstream LED backlit screens (now if only they'd increase the resolution)
- First manufacturer to mainstream SSDs
- Kind of moot now but they pushed firewire and let's remember were the first machines to actually make use of USB

Generally speaking, Apple doesn't use the cheap components that bargain brand PC makers do. For example, I guarantee your average Dell laptop won't have optical in/out and I guarantee you'll hear internal RF noise on the headphones.

Last edited:
Janstett, if I run bootcamp, whats the least amount of space I could allocate to OSX?

Unity mode sounds pretty swank, though while the latest MacOS might only cost $29, MS Service Packs and abundant regular updates are free. I've always been open to trying a Mac, but I, nor anyone I know, could afford one.

You could always go the 2nd hand market.