The "New Toys" Thread

This Samsung HE103UJ 1TB "RAID Class" drive:

IMG_4634.JPG

Which is going into this new-to-me iMac 2Ghz Core 2 Duo that I got for really cheap:

IMG_4632.JPG

TopGear viewing station, anyone? :D (Technically, it's supposed to be a Skype station.)

$400. It's a Late 2006 iMac, the last white one before they switched to the aluminum case.

And it's still under AppleCare. The previous owner upgraded the RAM to 2GB and had a 250GB HD put in it. It has the usual SuperDrive DL/Bluetooth/Airport/FW400/FW800/Remote, etc.

Last edited:
Market price for one around here is between $200 and 400 more. This used to belong to a student who got something new through his university and needed some cash. Wasn't stolen, I checked the serial with the cops - but I'm pretty sure I know what he needed cash for (cough cough).

Only have another hour and 45 minutes before it finishes formatting the 1TB hard drive. (I always do zero all data on a new hard drive, just to fully exercise it.)

Last edited:
Ok so they changed it a lot since the G5 iSight. Still a long way from the 1st gen G5 which was ultra easy to open and service yourself :-D

Yeah, thankfully they changed it. I remember the first gen G5 iMacs - those things rocked in terms of serviceability. One of my clients still has two of them and they're great.

Logitech Performance Mouse MX

logitech-performance-mx.jpg

I'm going to this from a Mighty Mouse. I can't believe how good this thing is. It actually has ergonomics and functionality.. it'll take some time to get used to :lol:

I have to say the most convenient feature on this damn thing is the choice between normal scroll and "let the wheel run free" momentum scroll. I love it. I think I spent 5 minutes just "momentum scrolling" through my iTunes library.

edit: holy crap I can rewind/fast forward easily in VLC for once! I love this thing.

bit late to the party, but good choice! I have a slightly lower-spec logitech mouse that is about 1 year old. Cost me a ton back then (close to $100, but that was because the nano receivers were really revolutionary then), but it is still running perfectly. I can't get the cool ergonomic mice like that though, coz I'm a lefty and I have used my left hand for the mouse since I was 14 :( Mine is still really good as far as ergonomics go though, which I can't say for a lot of other brands, you notice small things they put on that are just not geared to lefties :lol:

I can't get the cool ergonomic mice like that though, coz I'm a lefty and I have used my left hand for the mouse since I was 14 :( Mine is still really good as far as ergonomics go though, which I can't say for a lot of other brands, you notice small things they put on that are just not geared to lefties :lol:
I'm naturally left handed, but I use a mouse with my right hand due to just that fact. I have an older Logitech mouse that I got for really cheap at Circuit City's closing sale, and I love it.

Actually, it wasn't too bad. I already have the drive in and it's the iMac that's formatting its own drive.

Here's how you get them apart: http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA53A0-F23D-4541-9015-481FD3B6532E/iMac_Disassembly.html

Not too terrible, actually. IMHO, the iMac G5 with the iSight camera was much worse. The major problem I found was getting the screws back in for the LCD frame.

Yeah, I done it before too. The only problem I had was dealing with the HDD temperature sensor.

Sure, but remember, this is a two year old VX Nano that gets hours of similar treatment every day.