iPhone / iOS Thread

I don't think you've read my posts. A micro sim is already on it's way in the post. Why the h*ll would I order that?

I don't think you've read my posts. A micro sim is already on it's way in the post. Why the h*ll would I order that?
That's a sim cutting tool, that's basically a response to the scissors comment and your doubt of your cutting skill :p

Also I ended up cancelling my order with Apple and ordering the phone through ATT yesterday. For one Apple would actually take longer and has shittier shipping, for two ATT allows for a different shipping and billing addresses so I was able to have the phone come to my office, where it's guaranteed to be received and delivered to me (making friends with mailroom guys ensures prompt delivery :) )

Last edited:
so, just got the confirmation email from AT&T that my new iPhone 4 has shipped, they have a tracking number and say to check the FedEx website to confirm...its sunday night...hmmm

so, just got the confirmation email from AT&T that my new iPhone 4 has shipped, they have a tracking number and say to check the FedEx website to confirm...its sunday night...hmmm

I ordered two on the 5th of July and received them around 2 PM (guaranteed to arrive by 3 PM) on the 7th. So much for the 7-10 business day wait time they were quoting, and much better than what apple was saying.

I'd really be pleased if they would get around to announcing when we will see it here in Denmark.. We are among the next 18 countries, they're still just saying end of July.

I'd really be pleased if they would get around to announcing when we will see it here in Denmark.. We are among the next 18 countries, they're still just saying end of July.

If they haven't announced anything yet you can forget about a July release...

As far as I'm aware none of the next 18 countries has made any announcements as to when the iPhone will arrive? I saw some news about a Spanish provider twittering that it should come on the 28th..

But I guess that haven't been able to make enough, especially considering the fact that they had difficulties making the white version.. Which still sounds weird to me.

So the antenna issue is confirmed with some independent controlled testing.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/consumer-reports-confirms-iphone-4-antenna-problems-and-so-do/
TL;DR:
Basically consumer reports used an RF insulated room and simulated signal from ATT and T-mobile for different devices including the iPhone 4 and were able to reproduce the issue on demand. Engadget also confirmed it with a home brew iPhone app that shows real signal quality.

What is worth to keep in mind though is that Engadget did say that actual effects on service quality are highly inconsistent and mostly location based.

http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_gui..._do_not_recommend_apples_flawed_iphone_4.html
If you haven't already purchased or ordered your iPhone 4, Consumer Reports says: Don't bother!

The must-have gadget of the season is flawed, say its engineers.

"Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception," wrote Mike Gikas on the magazine's website.

According to their experts, the signal issue with the popular cellphone and app-tastic device could happen to all users, but would likely be more of an issue for left-handed ones.

"When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side ? an easy thing, especially for lefties ? the signal can significantly degrade," Gikas wrote, noting you can suffer dropped calls and "lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal."

Consumer Reports made their determination after buying three iPhone 4s at three different stores in the New York area, then testing them in a controlled environment.

Using a radio frequency "isolation chamber" that keeps out random radio signals, their engineers connected the phones a device that "simulates carrier cell towers."

It used the same method to test other AT&T phones, including the iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre. "None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4," Gikas wrote.

The test results countered claims by Apple, which stated in a letter last week that issues with signal strength and the "lower left corner" issue is the result of an error with the signal strength bars on the display, not the phone's antenna design.

"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong," Apple stated in the letter. "Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

As a result, it claims, connection problems are the fault of the signal strength, not the phone.

Consumer Reports, however, disagrees.

"The tests also indicate that AT&T's network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4's much-reported signal woes," Gikas wrote.

This is not to say there isn't a solution.

"Cover the antenna gap with a piece of duct tape or another thick, non-conductive material," Consumer Reports recommends. "It may not be pretty, but it works. We also expect that using a case would remedy the problem. We'll test a few cases this week and report back."

Consumer Reports suggests that if you are looking to purchase an iPhone, at this point you would likely be better off picking up the iPhone 3GS.

Last edited:
I'm trying to import photos and vid through iPhoto and I'm kinda stuck. I did it through image capture to a folder no problem.

In iPhoto it showed up, I clicked import all and it showed the progress but looked like it would take some time so I went away (I synced in itunes in that time - possibly fatal error) and when I came back there was no progress indicator and the iPhone icon had disappeared. I tried to quit but it said it was still importing. I ended up forcing quit and when I restarted it downloaded the "remaining" photos into "recovered" photos folder, but that's all there was. I plugged the phone back in and tried again and now I'm back where I was - no progress indicator or icon but it says it's downloading.

Anyone had any problems?

Image capture is OK but I'm wondering if it will create dupes if I don't delete images from the camera. Kind of a pain that I can't sync/DL everything through iTunes. Or can I?

FINALLY.

Got iOS4 working on my 3G. And it only took about a month.

I haven't had much luck with iPhoto. Trying to import several gigs of pics and video constantly failed, image capture worked quickly and easily.

The iOS4 update has effectively killed my 3G. It just takes FOREVER to do anything (search contacts, write a text or write an e-mail etc), and apps constantly crash (including itunes).

I haven't had much luck with iPhoto. Trying to import several gigs of pics and video constantly failed, image capture worked quickly and easily.

The iOS4 update has effectively killed my 3G. It just takes FOREVER to do anything (search contacts, write a text or write an e-mail etc), and apps constantly crash (including itunes).

Yeah, iOS4 sucks on the 3G. The 3G is stupidly slow.