(Another) Stuck on next car, need FG help

Bad Bowtie

Boring background (feel free to skip):

Alright well the time has come to let go of the current car. I drive 200+ miles a week and that will be rising soon, so I'd like something better on gas. Don't get me wrong, the Camaro gets 20 city / 30 highway, but I just want that extra 10+mpg for the commute to school/work/gf's school. Income never really allowed for another car (damn college), but that will be changing at the end of this month. With that said, I would like to get rid of the car for a lower mileage one as well (mine's at 103), not just mpg.

Anyways, I plan on getting a cheap beater, either a Civic around $1,500 or splurge a little and get this nice Integra I was looking at ($2,500 obo). That isn't what want help with though. I want help with the choosing of a fun car.:mrgreen:

Choices: GTO vs F-body

Another LS1 F-body (98-02 Camaro/Trans Am), lower mileage though
Pros(+):
+Lighter than the goat
+cheaper payment
+cheaper insurance
+cheaper parts
+t-tops

Cons(-):
-rough ride
-older car, more can go wrong
-weak rear (already broke one 10 bolt in this car bone stock)
-LS1 = small bore, biggest I can go without a resleeve is 396ci, but that has geometry issues so more likely a 393ci
-rattle trap

2005/6 Pontiac GTO (only want an LS2 6 speed)[same as a Manaro for you Europeans who didn't already know]
Pros(+):
+ride is 100x better
+LS2 has a bigger bore, which can be used for a 402-414ci stroker
+newer car, less to go wrong
+factory heads are the on
+built solid

Cons(-):
-more expensive insurance (almost double)
-bigger payment (~$100 more)
-heavier
-more expensive parts (headers/exhaust only really)

Cars are a driver's race stock for stock, looks are a toss up in my opinion. I used to want a GTO reallllly bad when they came out Original plan with the f-body was to wait a year to buy, and build a single (88mm) turbo 600rwhp stock bottom end car, but I figure I'll save that for the dream Vette build yearssss down the road. Both would end up being around the same thing, heads/cam/intake/exhaust maybe a 100 shot of giggle gas on top. I guess there is an option 3, a C5 vette (same $ as a GTO, faster stock vs stock than either, $16 more per month insurance than my Camaro, most expensive bolt-on parts).

So as you can see, I'm totally stuck. Complete deadlock. Normally, I wouldn't turn to the internet for a decision like this, but I can't decide. ANY help is wanted and appreciated!

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi! Oi! Oi!

I'd go for the GTO, but it seems like money is a big worry. Maybe this is a question for your financial advisor?

I'd go for the GTO, but it seems like money is a big worry. Maybe this is a question for your financial advisor?

:lol: I'm a cheapass, always have been, always will be. The money won't be an issue. The GTO would less more mod money per month (still plenty left over for other things), that's all. I think I am leaning GTO as of now (51/49 split).

Of the choices you gave, I would go with the GTO. As much as I love the F bodies, even the lowest mileage 2002 model is going to be 9 years old now.

There is a 3rd option available, though - this. It is LS2 powered, although it is an automatic (No 6 speeds were ever offered.). Insurance should be a lot cheaper, provided you leave the "SS" off the vehicle description. And the suspension was tuned by famed engineer John Heinricy, so it handles amazingly well for something its size.

C5 corvettes use LS1's don't they ? Why would bolt on parts be more expensive for a corvette compared to another F-body ?

I've driven my sister's 6L GTO. It's a good car.

I like the GTO, too. If it's something that you've wanted for a while and you can afford it, go for it.

GTO with the 6.0 and 6 speed.

If you want a fuel efficient beater to go with it, find an E30 318i, W123 300D (make sure it's a Turbodiesel) or NA Miata.

I could NEVER force myself to drive a Miata. :lol: I am pretty set on the Civic/Integra for the beater since they are abundant here, although the choices you listed aren't bad.

Of the choices you gave, I would go with the GTO. As much as I love the F bodies, even the lowest mileage 2002 model is going to be 9 years old now.

There is a 3rd option available, though - this. It is LS2 powered, although it is an automatic (No 6 speeds were ever offered.). Insurance should be a lot cheaper, provided you leave the "SS" off the vehicle description. And the suspension was tuned by famed engineer John Heinricy, so it handles amazingly well for something its size.

I love TBSS's, but it's not for me. They have hit 13s stock so there is no doubt they are quick, just not something I can see myself in. I have tried to convince the woman to get one, but she has her heart set on a silver LS2 GTO 6 speed as well (ever since I mentioned I want one that is). :lol:

C5 corvettes use LS1's don't they ? Why would bolt on parts be more expensive for a corvette compared to another F-body ?

Internals are the same, but intake, headers, X-pipes, catbacks are all wayyyy more expensive on Corvettes. I guess you've never heard the term "Corvette tax" have you? My entire exhaust (longtube headers, x pipe, "mufflers") ran me $500 (granted, I don't have a catback, just true duals dumped before the axle). I could MAYBE buy an X pipe on a Vette for that. I'll add prices after this post.

edit- PRICES:
Cheap way of doing C6 headers/X =
https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/p...g-Stainless-Headers%2d-'05%2d2010-C6-Corvette

Catbacks (take your pick)=
https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/categories.php?category=C6{47}Z06{47}ZR1-Corvette/Exhaust/Catback-Exhausts

Just for shit and giggles, here is an X-pipe for a C6 Z06/ZR1:
https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/products.php?product=B&B-X-Pipe-for-C6-Z06-and-ZR1

LG headers + X:
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=474_475&products_id=2113

I've driven my sister's 6L GTO. It's a good car.
You can even by the Holden front end for your GTO D:
I like the GTO, too. If it's something that you've wanted for a while and you can afford it, go for it.

Thanks guys. I figured this site would be leaning GTO/Manaro. :D

Last edited:
Funny thing happened yesterday when I was calling around about insurance. I found out that it is $50/month cheaper to insure myself on a 2006 Corvette than on a 2006 GTO. WTF?! I need more money to fit the C6 into the budget. :lol:

Yea, i've had extensive experiance with the GTO/Monaro in races, they really are terribly slow cars.

F body is always the best choice. But a Corvette would be sweet. Dont knock the miata untill you've tried it. (see my cars list)

I'd go with the GTO if the money is no issue. It's a lot more expensive car over here.

Yea, i've had extensive experiance with the GTO/Monaro in races, they really are terribly slow cars.

F body is always the best choice. But a Corvette would be sweet. Dont knock the miata untill you've tried it. (see my cars list)

I'm sorry but you must have run into some stock and/or terribly driven LS2 goats, or maybe you raced an LS1? I've driven a couple GTOs, and an LS2 6 speed was just as fast as my car was stock vs stock. In fact, the LS2 GTO record (12.6x) is faster than any f-body record (12.8x with 1 claim of a 12.78). Mod for mod, an LS2 will keep up just fine with an f-body. Cams change things, since the extra displacement/243s will edge out a little more (speaking of cam-only). LS1 goats aren't even that much slower in reality. I bet I could drive an LS1 GTO door to door with an average driver or auto in a stock f-body.

F-body is always the best choice? No, not really. 4th gens in general aren't that great. Now, an LSX 1st gen would make your statement valid.

Since it's going to be a 'fun' (weekend?) car, go for the C5 'Vette. I think it would be way more fun than the GTO, and perhaps be less of a heartbreak if something should happen to it (well, slightly less).

If this was going to be more of a daily-driven thing, I'd say GTO would be the better choice.

One is good for drifting. The other one isn't.

1. I don't drift, it's a retarded waste of tires.
2. My car will blow the tiny 245 tires off perfectly well while going sideways or in a straight line, or anything in between. I don't have enough "drifting skill" to see the difference in the two.

Same could actually be said for handling. I could care less, I make take an on ramp fast every now and then but aside from that, who really attacks the road that often to need a great handling car (aside from those who like trackdays)? I have gone on 1 little corner carving trip in my car, and it did fine. Again, not enough skill nor desire to need those extra 2 tenths off the corner or hit the apex perfectly on a tight 2 lane curvy road.

It's a real joy to drive a nimble and good handling car on a curvy road no matter how fast you drive.
I think my old Mini Cooper S was maybe the most fun to drive on a back road of all the cars I've driven even though my current cars are a whole lot faster.