Beer

Is there a way, short of contacting the manufacturers, to find out if Red 40 or any other red food colorings are used in a beer? I think, based on her tastes, that my girlfriend would quite like some red lagers like Killian's, but she's allergic to red food coloring and is a bit paranoid about it, as it causes fairly violent vomitting. :p

Even in fairly upscale-ish chain restaurants (like P.F. Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Macaroni Grill, etc), you'd be suprised how many dishes contain components with red 40

I'd say any Micro would be fine, the only beer I'd suspect is Killian's but you don't want to drink that anyway. I don't see any need for the dye in a real Ale, not so sure about Macro Lagers, they get away with adding preservatives and junk like that. Figure Smithwicks or Leinenkugel's Amber should be good.

Someone here said to check out the bio section of store for bio beers, I think, and I found this

http://img219.imageshack.**/img219/654/image235s.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.**/img26/551/image236zp.jpg

But is there anything noteworthy there?

I'm going to be in Phoenix next week, and I found this place that I WILL be stopping by: http://www.topsliquors.com/Work.html

There are a few things I'm for sure going to be picking up, but any suggestions from anyone on the 1 or 2 beers they would get wouldn't hurt either.

Is there a way, short of contacting the manufacturers, to find out if Red 40 or any other red food colorings are used in a beer? I think, based on her tastes, that my girlfriend would quite like some red lagers like Killian's, but she's allergic to red food coloring and is a bit paranoid about it, as it causes fairly violent vomitting. :p

Even in fairly upscale-ish chain restaurants (like P.F. Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Macaroni Grill, etc), you'd be suprised how many dishes contain components with red 40

I never thought 'red ales' actually contained red food coloring, thought it was a byproduct of the brewing process. That's weird and kind of tacky. But then again, it blows my mind how many food/drink products are artificially coloured to increase its shelf appeal.

I couldn't figure out where to post this, so I figure I'll just drop it off here.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2011/03/03/poster_beer_1300.jpg

that would be cool to have as a framed poster or sth! :cool:

I'm going to be in Phoenix next week, and I found this place that I WILL be stopping by: http://www.topsliquors.com/Work.html

There are a few things I'm for sure going to be picking up, but any suggestions from anyone on the 1 or 2 beers they would get wouldn't hurt either.

they even tell you in what alley you have to be!

sundevil_tops_064.jpg

ALL of the beer on the right are Belgian Beers!

pick one which you heard talking about, and you can't go bad ;)

Last edited:
Yeah I sort of figured that anything I pick up that I can't get here would be a good choice. Especially the Dogfish Head stuff....

Red beers are generally made with amber coloured malts, no colourings.

Especially the Dogfish Head stuff....

Good luck. I have had a hard time finding any Dogfish lately. I overheard two employees at my standby liquor store bitching and moaning how ever since their tv show, their supplies have dwindled to just about nothing.

But of course, alcohol doesn't kill brain cells, as we all know. Still, "funny".

I guess they don't have Cheers in Slovenia.

that would be cool to have as a framed poster or sth! :cool:

they even tell you in what alley you have to be!

pick one which you heard talking about, and you can't go bad ;)
They have missed the Midland Milds: Mitchells & Butlers, Wolverhampton Breweries (Banks's Mild - the best one) and another one the name escapes me for the moment.

Good luck. I have had a hard time finding any Dogfish lately. I overheard two employees at my standby liquor store bitching and moaning how ever since their tv show, their supplies have dwindled to just about nothing.

Yeah I know, but I can always hope!

Is this similar to The Sideways Effect*?

* - Everyone stopped drinking Merlot and switched to Pinot Noir because the main character hated Merlot and waxed poetic about Pinot Noir.

Red beers are generally made with amber coloured malts, no colourings.

I know that, but with alcoholic drinks, it's hard to know what is natural color and what isn't because there is no ingredient listing. I mean, I'm sure Watermelon Pucker has artificial coloring *laughs* But they don't declare it on the label.

Last edited:
If you are drinking Watermelon Pucker then artificial coloring is the least of your worries.