Porscher

My dad has been a Porsche fantatic since they came out, and currently owns two (a 911 turbo and a Cayenne Turbo.....no comments please ;) ) and I am sad to say pronounces it in the typical incorrect American fashion. I, on the other hand, do tend to pronounce it the correct way, as I try to do with most things.

That said, I have yet to hear a non-german speaking person really pronounce it like a german would. Its much more guttural and harsh sounding, and from that sound bite, is more like Poar-sh-eh.

Oh, and this is still a silly topic.

JH

I have a problem with pronouncing "Volkswagen" as "voltswagen" I know it's wrong, I catch myself do it every time, but I can't help it!

In response to the guy who said Americans don't say Porscher, the American guy says "Porscher" at the end of this advert:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badA0ntOxsE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I have a problem with pronouncing "Volkswagen" as "voltswagen" I know it's wrong, I catch myself do it every time, but I can't help it!

I always try to pronounce Volkwagen as Volksvagen in the German way, just because that's how it should be pronounced. :)

In response to the guy who said Americans don't say Porscher, the American guy says "Porscher" at the end of this advert:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badA0ntOxsE[/YOUTUBE]

I never heard "Porscher" just "Porsh-uh." In fact I've never heard anyone say "porscher" but "porsch" or "porsch-uh"

I always try to pronounce Volkwagen as Volksvagen in the German way, just because that's how it should be pronounced. :)

I see it written with a "W" and pronounce it as such, it's like bitching that the Reventon is "rebenton" because of the specific dialect of the region pronounces it.

Pronounce it however you like, personally I pronounce POS more often then "voltswagen"

I pronounce all foreign names as they were meant to be prononunced. Folks-vah-ghen, beh-emm-veh, M?nchen, Klagenfurt, Magyar, etc etc etc etc...

I pronounce all foreign names as they were meant to be prononunced. Folks-vah-ghen, beh-emm-veh, M?nchen, Klagenfurt, Magyar, etc etc etc etc...

How's your Japanese meter on To-Yo-Ta (I hope you dont say toy-oh-ter anyway), Ho-N-Da (even with out good emphasis I bet you say hon-dar), Mi-Tsu-Bi-Shi (like wise Mit-sue-bish-ee?)?
Is your French pronunciation any good? If you insisted on pronouncing Citroen (can't be arsed with the accents) and Renault like the French all the time (when not speaking French at the time), I would have the urge to hit you.
Maybe you can enlighten us on the correct way to say Hyundai and Daewoo?
Don't forget the accent on the S of Skoda. Do you have stuff like that in Slovenian too?
I don't hear many people rolling their Rs when saying Ferrari or Lamborghini.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be a dick. If you can be understood that's all that matters. This snobby nit picking about the way certain brands are referred to is bullshit. You'll never be able to speak all languages 'correctly' so you might as well use whatever corruption is in common use up your way. Round our way it's Porsh, Sit-run, High-un-die, and Skoh-dar. I know the Americans laugh at Zed-06, but we laugh at their Zee-06 right back.

Listen, just because I at least put the effort in to pay some respect to other people and cities/car brands in the world is no reason for you to get all rude about it. I'll pronounce things the way i want to, which means the way the NATIVE pronunciation is. And great going on assuming the way i speak. When i'm talking in english, i'll say Hondar or Porscher when the rules of English pronunciation dictate, but that has nothing to do with how the brands are called, it's a matter of language. And to answer your questions:

1) Hyundai is pronounced "Hyoon-die" and Daewoo is just a simple Daewoo with the accent on woo.
2) Skoda (can't do the accent as the stupid forum kills the rest of the post) is pronounced Shkoh-dah.
3) The reason you don't hear people rolling their R's when pronouncing Ferrari and Lamborghini is because the Italians don't do that either.
4) I'm not being a dick, i'm simply paying respect to everyone involved by pronouncing their names the way they wanted them to be. If anyone's being a dick, it's your eastender ass for being so intollerant of others.

Last edited:
I agree with IceBone, you should at least try to pronounce proper names correctly in the original language. I see it as a sign of respect.

It's a matter of language.

Indeed and I think of global brands in the same way as I think of place names. Paris is Pa-riss not PA-ree (unless I was speaking French), Tokyo is toe-kee-ow no Too-kyoo (unless I was speaking Japanese), Turin is Tue-rin not To-Rino (unless I was speaking Italian). Likewise Ikea is Eye-key-er not I-Ki-a, Nintendo is Ninten-doe not NIN-Ten-Do, and Skoda is Skoh-der not Shko-dah.

If anyone tries to correct me on any of them I will then pedantically pick up on their mispronunciations of every foreign brand name and borrowed word (that I am aware of) from that point on. It's not Karey-ow-key it's Kara-oke.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Karaoke.ogg

And to answer your questions:

1) Hyundai is pronounced "Hyoon-die" and Daewoo is just a simple Daewoo with the accent on woo.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ja6Jgqmch9Q[/youtube]

Not so much emphasis on the oo. Kind of like Hyun-day.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hj4P-fpJ4P8[/youtube]

Not really so much accent on the woo, not really a woo at all, more day-oo (like in poo).

2) Skoda (can't do the accent as the stupid forum kills the rest of the post) is pronounced Skoh-dah.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=I-KG-TNJUik[/youtube]

That's a bit more Shkaw-da to my ears.

3) The reason you don't hear people rolling their R's when pronouncing Ferrari and Lamborghini is because the Italians don't do that either.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gj3yus_-eSo[/youtube]

Not much they don't: "Ferrrrari"

4) I'm not being a dick, i'm simply paying respect to everyone involved by pronouncing their names the way they wanted them to be. If anyone's being a dick, it's your eastender ass for being so intollerant of others.

I'm just saying you are on a loser, and deluded if you think you can pronounce all foreign words 'correctly'. If you insisted on doing that near me I would assume you were being a dick and trying to prove how clever you were while actually being too dumb to realise how language actually works.

By the way, I'm not from the East End I just live here, like 80% of the population.

I'll try to pronounce it as close as possible to the original and i'm doing a hell of a lot better job at it than the way people decided they should be pronounced in English, especially you.

I edited Shkoh-dah, after the forum screwed me over. And i'm really happy that you're fighting so hard to prove your own opinion. Let me ask you, what do you care how i pronounce names? I'm actually amazed you went through so much trouble to try to prove me wrong. Well, you proved me wrong on one thing, i had a misconception of what a "rolling R" is, but i've learned now. Yes, i agree, people don't do it, the Italians do and I do it as well. But again, what is it to you?

I love the fact that we have a 3 page thread on how to pronounce a simple name like Porsche.
But I too hate Americans who say "Porsh". :p

I love the fact that we have a 3 page thread on how to pronounce a simple name like Porsche.
But I too hate Americans who say "Porsh". :p

It's not just Americans, that's the way it's said in the parts of the UK I've lived. In English pronunciation that trailing E serves no function. It doesn't extend the earlier vowel, because that's an O and it has an R after it which will naturally extend it anyway. No that E is useless, so we don't say it and even if we did it would be Porsh-E not Porsh-uh.

Don't be too upset. Like I've been trying to prove, none of us are capable of pronouncing all foreign names or borrowed words 'correctly'. We all live in countries that have different common corruptions (interpretations, literal pronunciations, transliterations whatever) of these words, and we use these to communicate amongst ourselves. So don't get hung up on Porsche otherwise you'll find yourself getting upset when someone uses the wrong tone in ????, even though they don't speak a word of Chinese, and that my friend is the road to pedant madness.

Last edited: