Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

d28_26588045.jpg

d34_26544179.jpg

d25_26514873.jpg

d41_26588339.jpg

22-oneighturbo-BTCS-Loek-VW-041010.jpg

12-oneighturbo-BTCS-Loek-VW-041010.jpg

You guys are so boring. Slammed cars have their own appeal, not everything has to be perfectly dynamic road racers.

So hawt.
25578600001_large.jpg

Looks cool when standing still. Would suck for driving. It's a nice sculpture, but fails as a car imho. Cars are for driving, not for standing still. You have sculptures and other types of art for that.

DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, please respect it as I respect yours.

Looks cool when standing still. Would suck for driving. It's a nice sculpture, but fails as a car imho. Cars are for driving, not for standing still. You have sculptures and other types of art for that.

DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, please respect it as I respect yours.

What makes you think it would suck for driving? It mostly likely has air bags and would ride like a Cadillac. It would make an awesome cruiser.

What makes you think it would suck for driving? It mostly likely has air bags and would ride like a Cadillac. It would make an awesome cruiser.

Most likely. Only the guys into the "Hellaflush" movement have some hatred toward airbags. it's like a badge of honor to static.

*snip*
TL/DR:
  • There are TONS of cars that started off as anything but sporty that have been worked over by their manufacturers to be performance Focused cars.
  • The fact that they started as commuter sedans, small efficient cheap hatchbacks or comfortable cruisers does not mean they cannot be performance cars
  • I still think that compromising the efforts of those manufacturers for pure aesthetics is dumb
  • It's my opinion i am not trying to make it your opinion.

The M-cars were built on already solid performing chassis. It's one reason why I'm plenty happy with how a mildly modified e30 can drive. The handling changes on the M3 weren't too drastic, and didn't need to be. Hell all if it BOLTS to my chassis.

As far as the muscle car thing goes... Trans-Am racing, with exception of about 3 years, has been so irrelevant to the street cars they might as well be F1. There are maybe 5 muscle cars pre-late 1990's that can actually handle well from the factory.

Back to the original discussion:
What we were discussing is that I don't agree with your opinion and understand it even less.

To say 21" wheels on a car that comes with 20's is excess seems odd to me. It's pretty much ALWAYS been common that people cram at least 1" larger wheels than are available from the factory. If the car were sitting hire they'd likely look better as they fill the wheel well far better than anything from the factory does.
BTW, we are talking about a 4500lb+ car here, not exactly a number I associate with "well handling."

The music definitely won't appeal to some, and some of the cars are a little rice, but stick with it and theres nice camera work and some pretty cars:

Makes me want to build a slammed VW Bug or Type III

My point exactly, to drive with it you have to raise it, thus ruining the look. Driving it sitting so low would be inadvisable to say the least. It's just one of my personal pet-peeves.

lol.....I've never had a convertible and think it would be kind of cool. I really don't have a preference either way though. So yeah, maybe just stick with the S. This probably won't go too well over here, but i like me some proper flappy paddles. Had them on my M3 and enjoyed using them. Sometimes shifting with a stick can be a bit of a chore.

Some advice on the convertible thing. I bought a 2000 TA convertible new (still have it because I would miss having a convertible if I got rid of it). I would ask you to weigh the pleasure of driving leisurely on backroads with the top down (positives) versus the reality of going deaf on highways with the top down. If you do a lot of highway driving you'll find yourself putting the top up before the on-ramp. Listening to the transmission whine of an 18 wheeler isn't fun.

The other big decision is your driving style (cruising versus having actual fun driving in a spirited manner). Convertibles are heavier and while great strides have been made, rigidity is still a problem versus a hardtop coupe. You can help address it with subframe connectors, strut tower braces, etc. but you're again adding weight.

Now my best advice -- if you're planning on tracking it more than once, don't go convertible. In addition to the weight and chassis flex problems, most if not all organizations will require you to install at least a 4 point roll bar with a diagonal brace, due to what can happen in a rollover. I went with one anyway for additional safety on the road but there are times I wish it wasn't there. It doesn't take a lot for a car to roll over, just put one tire in the grass and it can happen, I've seen it with my own eyes at the track. A rollover in a vert is a death sentence, and while it can happen in restrained driving scenarios, if you also drive in a "spirited" manner or see any track duty it's something you have to deal with. I've seen a car roll on an autocross which is fairly low speed, the car hit a curb and rolled.

So I reiterate -- if you want to track it, and you enjoy the thrill of the drive more than cruising, don't go convertible. This is coming from someone who loves his 'vert.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Truth of the matter is....I don't drive that much to begin with. I've had my Mini Cooper S for about 16 months and have put less than 7,000 miles on it. 70% of my driving is on the highway. I don't really do much cruising or track driving. It's mostly just running errands for the business (which sometimes requires me using the SUV). So i've decided against the cabriolet and will likely go with the coupe (S). Part of me is still considering the GTS because it's newer, but the minor performance increase and cosmetic changes might not warrant the extra money.

Next step is to wait for an increase to my credit, which should happen this week (paid off some bills). Hopefully it will bump me into a range that I can get much better financing.

Edmund's Inside Line recently reviewed the GTS, and concluded that it is pretty much as close as one can get to an everyday-livable GT3. "What the Carerra S should have been" line comes to mind as well.

I've never driven any Porsche, but if you can afford the GTS, why not go for it?

My point exactly, to drive with it you have to raise it, thus ruining the look. Driving it sitting so low would be inadvisable to say the least. It's just one of my personal pet-peeves.

I don't think raising it would ruin the looks of it at all. It would still look like a sweet slammed rat rod pick up truck.

Makes me want to build a slammed VW Bug or Type III

Having owned a slammed VW Bug, I can say they look much better then they drive. Having to crawl over every speed bump and dodge every pothole to keep from ripping off the exhaust gets old after a while.

Edmund's Inside Line recently reviewed the GTS, and concluded that it is pretty much as close as one can get to an everyday-livable GT3. "What the Carerra S should have been" line comes to mind as well.

I've never driven any Porsche, but if you can afford the GTS, why not go for it?

Porsche can create a market for anything. If the GTS never came out, it wouldn't really be an issue. They could of course come out with a GTS 2 or something and it would be a bit better and 10k more lol. I had some figures in mind...around 90k for the Carrera S. If I can get a GTS for a few k under 100, I'd strongly consider it. I'd guess the difference in price per month would be around $200.

Personally, the main reason why I would opt for a GTS is that it's newer...and i'm a little concerned about having some regrets if I buy a 2011 Carrera S and the 2012 Carrera S due at the end of the year is a lot better. I don't think that would be the case, but it weighs on my mind.

I'm gonna check out that inside line vid though.

Also...I thought I was posting all this in the random thread :lol:

Having owned a slammed VW Bug, I can say they look much better then they drive. Having to crawl over every speed bump and dodge every pothole to keep from ripping off the exhaust gets old after a while.

Yah, I can see that getting old pretty fast. Are airbags an option on bugs? or do they not fit so well?

This is also why I like lifted Jeeps. Speed bump? Curb? Rubble blocking the road? no problem.

My buddy's apartment complex used to have eight (yes, eight - he lived in the very back) HUGE speed bumps. You had to crawl over them at an angle in most stock cars. When his lowered WRX broke down he borrowed his mom's Escalade. We would do 50mph over those bumps in the Caddy :lol:

http://img405.imageshack.**/img405/3435/01spf50roadster7248313.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.**/img46/7786/02spf50roadster7289498.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.**/img248/170/08spf50roadster7335654.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.**/img526/9375/14spf50roadster7421929.jpg
We were smitten with the Coyote 5.0-liter V8 the second we got behind the wheel of the 2011 Ford Mustang GT. We described the 412 horsepower engine as "a pot of pure honey" as well as "intoxicating," and said that the "5.0-liter V8 pulls like a jet airliner." With a curb weight of just over 3,600 pounds, the Mustang GT is not as bloated as the Camaro, but by no means a lightweight. Would we like the 5.0L even more if it had less mass to push around?

That's what Superformance had in mind with its latest creation. The maker of Shelby-licensed Cobra replicas has installed a Coyote 5.0-liter crate motor into one of its MKIII Roadsters, creating a combination of classic styling with the best of Ford's modern powertrains. The engine wedges snugly into the front of the car, and only a custom air intake and headers are all that are needed to make everything fit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/17/coyote-cobra-superformance-mkiii-roadster-powered-by-the-mustan/

Goddamn!!! :cool: