Beer

The last German beer I tried was Weltenburger Kloster Barock-dunkel. I quite liked it.

When I travelled to England last month the only beer I more or less liked was Samuel Smith's Sovereign Bitter

couple pixels down, second from the left. Having one right now, will have another!

couple pixels down, second from the left. Having one right now, will have another!

I had 7 of those for dinner last night :D

Living here in student Munich, you can't escape em.

EDIT: Oh, and... Prost!

This is the best beer I've ever had. If you ever spot a case buy it, only $9 for a 6 pack.
You've got damned good taste. I love Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread. Porters are probably my favorite style of beer and that's one of the best I've ever had.

Currently in my fridge:

North Coast Old Stock Ale from California
http://img48.imageshack.**/img48/9748/oldstockmx5.jpg

Barleywine-style ale. 14%, so it's a sipping beer. It's really good, but not exactly a "casual" beer... A little bit hard to find and costs about $3 a bottle as well. Every year is a different brew, the '08 is damned good.

Abita Turbodog from Louisiana
http://img49.imageshack.**/img49/3329/turbodogwd9.jpg

One of my all time favorites. British-style brown ale. Goes well with food, very drinkable. Easy to find pretty much anywhere and $9 a six pack.

Also, we've got to get some distributors in the UK to start picking up the quality American stuff. The problem is that we drink all of the good Yank stuff before it can hit the docks. It's time to change some stereotypes.

^^ I drove through Abita, La this summer actually and had a sampling of the local brews good stuff. I like the turbo dog.

Agreed with the Anchor steam as well one of if not the best beer I've ever had.

A few lately I've had that I have enjoyed

landshark_lager.jpg

Refreshing on a warm day in the afternoon

Shiner_Hefeweizen_200.jpg

Once it gets colder I'm going back to the dark beers

Also, we've got to get some distributors in the UK to start picking up the quality American stuff. The problem is that we drink all of the good Yank stuff before it can hit the docks. It's time to change some stereotypes.
As long as someone over there realizes we don't all drink that nasty, skunky Bud Light.

Refreshing on a warm day in the afternoon

Shiner_Hefeweizen_200.jpg
Yes sir. I went canoeing this summer and I think we brought 100+ bottles of that along :lol:. Shiner Bock is around $13 a 12 pack here, so I pick it up pretty frequently.

Oh delicious wheat beer ... anyway ...
boulevard_wheat.jpg

Regional favorite, Kansas City's Boulevard Brewery. Have any of you guys seen this stuff? They just doubled production and have been on a big push for expansion. Good stuff, it's got some bite to it.

As long as someone over there realizes we don't all drink that nasty, skunky Bud Light.

Yes sir. I went canoeing this summer and I think we brought 100+ bottles of that along :lol:. Shiner Bock is around $13 a 12 pack here, so I pick it up pretty frequently.

Oh delicious wheat beer ... anyway ...
boulevard_wheat.jpg

Regional favorite, Kansas City's Boulevard Brewery. Have any of you guys seen this stuff? They just doubled production and have been on a big push for expansion. Good stuff, it's got some bite to it.

What you (we) Americans need are proper wheat beer glasses to drink your wheat beer from.

Other than that I agree with you, it would be nice if some of the good American beers ever hit european shores.

Yeah, they're pretty hard to come by, you sometimes can get one of those microbrewery collection packages, with 6 bottles from a few microbreweries, but that's only the very tip of the iceberg, and even those are pretty hard to come by in normal lquorstores, they might have them as part of some promotion of some sort, but not on a regular basis or anything.

My most favourite of all (both the light and dark one):

682_Keiler.JPG

Unfortunately not available here, so I have to rely on a friend from Bavaria who brings a crate every now and then.

Never heard of that. Will keep an eye out for that next time I go beer shopping.

General question - why is it only the crap that is widely available and heavily promoted on the TV, mags and radio? Someone could have chosen a good beer to do that to I suppose. ...

I can only speak for my country but the dozen or so major brands we have here actually make very good beer. It is up to personal taste what you prefer. I believe that apart from a few imported brands, you can't actually buy "bad" beer here in Germany. There are some cheap sorts which are sold in discounters like Aldi but those are also not that bad.

Nevertheless, it's the niche products, the local specialities, that make beer discovery so exciting. Often a certain kind of brew is only available in an area around a village or a small town. Sometimes there are restaurants or hotels which brew their own beer.

Officially we have about 4000 different different brands of beer in Germany and most of them are only sold locally, made by small breweries with a long family tradition or in monasteries.

Those small breweries can survive, because they are successful in their local areas. They would not be able to distribute nation-wide.

But it's part of the German "beer adventure", that cash-and-carries almost never have the same range of products and it's fun to go to a region, where you haven't been before, and try out all the local beers one after the other :)

I can only speak for my country but the dozen or so major brands we have here actually make very good beer. It is up to personal taste what you prefer. I believe that apart from a few imported brands, you can't actually buy "bad" beer here in Germany. There are some cheap sorts which are sold in discounters like Aldi but those are also not that bad.

I disagree. Let me think, what are the beers I usually see advertised...
Bitburger - shit.
Becks - not too bad, but not the best in the world.
Warsteiner - not good
K?Pi - don't get me started
Hasser?der - never tried that
Veltins - some creative beer mixtures, and some of the best advertising on German telly, but the beer isn't good for anything.

Just the first 6 that came to my mind, but yeah, I think it's also the case here. The big advertisers are crappy

Well, did you ever drink Bud in the USA? It re-defines your scale on what is bad ;)

Besides, I already said that it is up to personal taste what you prefer. So if you look at it objectively, you can't seriously state that the brands you mentioned, are really bad. There have always been disputes among beer enthusiasts about that but let's face: We are argueing on an extremely high level here. It's a luxury problem ;)

Last edited:
Well, did you ever drink Bud in the USA? It re-defines your scale on what is bad ;)
Obviously you've never had the BEAST. :lmao:
mblight.jpg

Budweiser is bad, but there are sooo many worse beers here. Pabst, Old Style, Schlitz, Keystone, Natty, the list goes on and on. People just drink it because 1)It's cheap and 2)All they've ever drank is watered down lagers.

Stick a dry stout or an eisbock in front of someone who has only ever drank lager and watch the fun :lol:.

Bud Light is pretty much at the bottom of beers.

No, wait...

Draft Bud Light, from a restaurant (like Applebees), is at the bottom of...everything. It's just flavoured water!

Stick a dry stout or an eisbock in front of someone who has only ever drank lager and watch the fun :lol:.

When we were in Texas, we actually asked ourselves how the Americans managed to get drunk from a pitcher of Budweiser. We tried and tried but never got even tipsy. It was like water with some beer flavour added to it.

But we didn't care, because we used to beat them at Darts all the time thanks to it ;)

But then they always wanted to change to arm wrestling - where they somehow managed to get an even bigger and more threatening looking guy, each time one of us beat them. And then they started chanting "USA! USA! USA!"

Was a bit scary actually... :blink:

We always left before they had the chance to open a cage somewhere to let some beast out... :lol:

Last edited:
When we were in Texas, we actually asked ourselves how the Americans managed to get drunk from a pitcher of Budweiser. We tried and tried but never got even tipsy. It was like water with some beer flavour added to it.

But we didn't care, because we used to beat them at Darts all the time thanks to it ;)

But then they always wanted to change to arm wrestling - where they somehow managed to get an even bigger and more threatening looking guy, each time one of us beat them. And then they started chanting "USA! USA! USA!"

Was a bit scary actually... :blink:

We always left before they had the chance to open a cage somewhere to let some beast out... :lol:

They get drunk on piss because that is all they know. It's quite sad actually.