BERK IN A MERC

Jeremy's response in this week-end's press:

This week, after someone sold a photograph of me supposedly using a mobile phone while "hurtling up the M40 at 70mph", I became front page news.

It was all very horrid. Reporters climbing over the wall of my house, parking on my flower beds and poking about in my garage, taking pictures

And now there are calls for me to be sent to prison for two years

Why? I think the law which prevents you driving while using a phone is as daft as those laws which prevent you entering the city of Nottingham unless you have two eggs. Or urinating in a policeman's helmet.

If you can't drive and talk at the same time, you really are a complete spanner.

Driving while under the influence of heroin is bad. So is driving while blind. And it's definitely dangerous to drive while building a model cathedral out of matchsticks.

But the most dangerous thing of all is to take a photograph of someone - who was actually listening to an iPod - while at the wheel.

The chap who did this, one of the ugliest men in Britain incidentally, says his girlfriend took the snap. Girlfriend? With a face like yours? Do me a favour.

But anyway, I am taking steps to prevent this sort of thing happening again. I am fitting my car with very dark tinted windows.

Oh, and can I just say that the reason I was only doing 70 is that I was driving a 40 year old car. And it wouldn't go any faster.

He seems to have taken it quite well... ;)

Lol, classic clarkson.

Got to love the respond from Clarkson. Just pure Clarksonism at its best. :p

I call bullshit, it does kinda look like he is talking on a phone :D

Not that i think any less of him for doing so. Talking on the phone is illegal in florida as well, but i (and everyone i know) does it anyway. Along with speeding, modifications and consumption of narcotics.

Some laws are just too stupid to bother listening to :lol:

Jeremy Clarkson's newspaper column said:
I think the law which prevents you driving while using a phone is as daft as those laws which prevent you entering the city of Nottingham unless you have two eggs.

While I would like to believe that JC's probably making that one up for comedy effect, given the huge number of unbelievably crazy laws the UK still has, it wouldn't come as any surprise if it was true. I live about half a mile inside Nottingham's city boundaries. Mundane tasks such as going to Sainsbury's, or the dump, or friends' houses for barbecues... many of these occurrences find me going to Beeston, barely a mile away, but outside the city boundaries. Maybe one or two trips back from Beeston in the last five and a half years have involved me carrying a box of six eggs back from Sainsbury's... and in all the rest - hundreds of trips - I've been breaking the law. I must be public enemy number one, two, three and four! Lock me up and throw away the key!

Who does he think he's kidding? You don't hold an iPod to your ear! :lol:

I guess he had to come up with something if there is a the possibility of a two year stint as a guest of Her Majesty.

Who does he think he's kidding? You don't hold an iPod to your ear! :lol:

I guess he had to come up with something if there is a the possibility of a two year stint as a guest of Her Majesty.

While it is true you do not "normally" hold an ipod to your ear, there is nothing that says you "can't".

I personally believe him. He was holding an ipod to his ear. Not the craziest thing he has ever been known to do.

Could be a tape recorder and he misspoke or was misunderstood which resulted it as coming out as an ipod. Perhaps it is an ipod and hes wearing large headphones. Maybe it is a cellphone either way the whole thing is ridiculous. Any person who is driving down the road and happens upon someone then chooses to take a picture of a minor infraction that no way affects them, then send it in from most likely some profit and to get their 10 seconds of attention has a pathetic existence. Some one tail that guy for the next 10 - 20 years of his life and report every little thing wrong he does. Bravo Clarkson, tell them to piss off.

Also notice there is absolutely no motion blur which would most likely appear with the crappy cameras that phones have. Even with a good camera at 70 miles per hour it would be difficult. Its highly likely that hes stationary in a traffic jam. I don't know how the law is written but that should be perfectly legal. Something else, how can the picture be taken by the passenger(girlfriend) when its clear the photo was taken by someone very near the right side window. Unless she was in the back(doubtful) this was taken by the driver. If it was taken by her then shes in a right had drive car. Notice also that the other car is right hand drive, and they are on the right hand side of the road. Perhaps their not in GB or their in a parking lot. What indication do we have that this photo was even taken on the motorway? Could be anywhere else. Theres nothing here for the police to investigate.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop using their mobile phones while driving. I guess most of JC's other cars have bluetooth capabilities.

Here's Clarkson's column from last months Top Gear magazine. Mostly about his new old Merc.

Clarkson on old saloons

Maybe it was an ipod, and he was using it to shield his face from the idiot in the car next to him taking photos while driving.

While it is true you do not "normally" hold an ipod to your ear, there is nothing that says you "can't".

I personally believe him. He was holding an ipod to his ear. Not the craziest thing he has ever been known to do.

Well as they don't have a built in speaker, there wouldn't be muich point now would there.:p

He does have an iPhone, you know.

Perhaps it was his iPhone being used as an iPod (the iPhone does have a built-in speaker).

EDIT: Just beaten to it!

Jeremy's response in this week-end's press:

He seems to have taken it quite well... ;)
Haha. Classic Clarkson. If it wasn't for people like him sticking up for Joe public then we would be in a police state by now (we almost are already:(). In particular that comment about why he was only going 70:cool: When I get my A.E.102 shape Corolla I want to get some 100% tints as well. I just love his random comparisons which are so completely and utterly random that they are hilarious a la' "And it's definitely dangerous to drive while building a model cathedral out of matchsticks.
":rofl:
I wish people would stop using their mobile phones while driving.

What is wrong with it as long as it is safe?

What is wrong with it as long as it is safe?

There's one thing worse than people talking on a mobile whilst driving ... it's people sending text messages driving. How the fuck is one supposed to look at the screen AND type what is more than likely to be an inane load of poorly spelled horseshit AND drive at the same time!?

He was refering to someone talking on a mobile phone, not texting.

Haven't you heard of a thread hijack before? :p

(for what it's worth, people that use non-hands free mobiles whilst driving shit me too, just not as much as people that text whilst driving)