FinalGear Music League Suggestions

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S, '08 X5 3.0D
Right! Here's the new thread.

Place your suggestions here for future rounds, themes, league length, size, and so forth.

I know the epic playlists were hard for people to get through, so perhaps we only do the massive league thing a few times a year, with a good break between?
I think the idea of doing some shorter leagues with a single overall theme, and then each week have a slight difference in what meets submission criteria, might be fun. Then people are free to join or not join the leagues as the genres interest them.
I'm currently also in a random league for entirely instrumentals, however each week the criteria is different: Heavy, Light, Beautiful, Dark, etc. I've seen themes of "4x4" - A song with a four letter title, by an artist with a four letter name.", "Songs under 2 minutes", "Songs over 6 minutes", etc.

I would suggest that @kalf gets to pick a round theme in the next epic league, for having won the first one.

Anyway, now we all know how it works, have at it!

The only good thing about the whole cultural appropriation concept is that we can put out a blanket ban on Ska on grounds of it being white boys appropriating Jamaican person of color culture.

The only good thing about the whole cultural appropriation concept is that we can put out a blanket ban on Ska on grounds of it being white boys appropriating Jamaican person of color culture.
I was on the fence about submitting Men At Work for this reason, all good listening to it in private but looking back it's not the finest moment in music history.

Depending on the genre I thought of a 'guitar solo' round, so many good guitar solos out there. I probably won't take part in any more but I would be interested in the results.

Copying some ideas over from the original thread:

Some ideas for future rounds:
  • Comedy/parody songs - This could be a comedy cover of an existing song or an original funny composition
  • Songs limited by timeframe, such as a song that was on the billboard hits from 1980-1989, or a song released from 1970-1975.
  • TV show theme songs
  • Motion picture soundtrack (Hard mode: No John Williams)
  • Date Night - A song you would or have played when driving your date to dinner
  • Cheese! - A song that's so cheesy you can't help but like it.
  • Epic Solo - Any instrument goes, but it must feature an epic solo (Difficulty: No Freebird)
  • B-sides - It's not the hit single, it's the B-side. Songs that were on the same album as the hit that never got the love they deserve.
  • Hard Copy - Songs that you'd play on vinyl
  • Relax - a track you'd play at the end of a long day to unwind with your favorite beverage.
  • Cardio - Get the blood pumping with tracks that energize a cardio workout
  • Stormy Day - A track for staying inside with a fire or hot beverage while it rains/snows outside.
  • Say what? - Tracks that are frequently misunderstood in some way (getting the lyrics wrong or missing the message of the song)
  • Desert Island - You're stranded on a desert island and can bring one song to listen to, what is it?
  • Ticket Magnet - If this comes on while you're driving, you know you're getting a ticket (Difficulty: No Freebird)
  • Meme - A track that's so infamous it's now a meme, but you unironically like it anyway.

I was thinking in case of a second edition these rounds might be interesting:
- Songs by deceased artists (or important band members), and I mean (with) actual recordings from before they died not some AI song made afterwards like that new Beatles song.
- Songs in your (or the country you currently live in) native language. This one does pose some problems like it might give an idea to who submitted which song and there are also those who live in English speaking countries. For those living in English speaking countries you could say it has to be from artists with a link to your country region (which doesn't necessarily narrow it down in some cases).
- Lesser known songs from artists who had/have big hits.
And while I'm thinking about it:
- songs that are linked to an important moment or memory in your life.

Anyway this gave me a potential idea for a round - guitar solo. I know what I consider to be the best, I bet others have different ideas. :p

Huh… I thought there were more, must’ve missed some?

Edit some from me, piggybacking off one above:
  • Motion picture soundtrack round two: ONLY John Williams
  • There’s more fun to be had with soundtrack stuff I bet…
  • You kids get off my lawn! Only songs by artists (0, 5, 10, 20 years) younger than you.
  • Sure, grandpa… songs that are 50+ years old. Actually, seeing as it’s 2023, maybe make that 60 or 65 years even.

Last edited:
  • Sure, grandpa… songs that are 50+ years old. Actually, seeing as it’s 2023, maybe make that 60 or 65 years even.
I'm trying to not take this one personally. :razz:

The best rounds were the ones that encouraged some variety last round, like Cars or FG inspired, heh. I want a mix of silliness, I think. Free Parking just

- Balls! Self-explanatory. MY BALLS DEMAND IT! There's more than just AC/DC about deez nuts, too.
- Songs you like from genres you hate
- Alternately: songs you like from artists you hate (this might leave it more open to the "I really do listen to everything" folks here)
- The poopoo peepee joke round. Dick, butt and poop jokes in songs. Just get it all out of your system. (Hard mode: no comedy artists)
- Songs from your home town/state/province/country/region. Half the reason why this was so fun was hearing what other places listened to.
- Songs about your car. This could be specific (e.g. "Porsche 944") or generic (e.g. "My Hooptie").

Eh, I would argue that it's less cultural appropriation and more cultural synthesis. A lot of ska and two-tone bands were mixed race.

Have we cancelled Madness now? They're great.

Anyway, I like the idea of quite restrictive yet still open rounds, e.g. ones which don't have an obvious answer.

The 4x4, under two minutes, light/dark instrumentals, music from your region, they all sound great and should produce more variety.

Reverse hard mode: serious stuff by comedy artists? … is there enough potential for this? 🙈
That's like, Super Impossibility Ultra-Mega Hard Mode (read: I would really, really have to think on this).

I would like a non-english category, but not limited to our own country/language.

In fact, if we have a "own country/language" category, I would make the non-english also "not from your own country/language x

Poop songs might be too easy, come to think of it. Fart songs, though...

- Songs about the weather
- Songs you danced/clubbed to in your youth
- Songs by artists from your town/region (town might be too hard)
- Songs in your own language (for the English speakers: pick another language at the beginning of the league and stick with it)
- Soundtracks
- movie scores

In my own language, but don't choose the one that's my mother tongue?

Eh, I would argue that it's less cultural appropriation and more cultural synthesis. A lot of ska and two-tone bands were mixed race.
Rock stole from Black American artists, white rappers stole from Black artists since rap came out of the inner cities and projects with roots in R&B, Blues, and traditional African music that was brought to the West with slavery and the triangle trade.

If we rule out any cross cultural influence we will be left with yodeling, polka, and Riverdance.

Not to mention Stomp!