German License Plates

What?s the story behind that? Bought it from a german in germany and left the plates on? Or got them extra for some sort of 'German Car with German Plates' Joke/Statement? I don?t get it ... why would you do that? And is it even legal having two types of plates on one car? Kind of implies that the car is registred twice ... wich isn?t allowed (or is it?). :confused:

i usually don't run the front jersey plate but a few days prior to the picture i was ticketed for no front plate and zip tied it on for the time being. the picture i took wasn't planned. i was walking out from my customer, saw the opportunity for a great shot and grabbed my camera out the hatch. it's not illegal as long as i show the proper plate up front. it may confuse you because it would be like me seeing someone running a u.s. plate along side their euro plate in europe but it's a legit trend (not rice) with the euro scene in the u.s.

mock it if you must but when the jersey plate is not affixed, it looks legit. i have all the euro exterior pieces (lip, fog grilles, etc) and the euro plate actually completes the look.

Must be like that thing when people have riced out japanese cars and have them coverd in Kanji ... without being able to read them :rolleyes:

i guess but since you're from germany, you should be able to tell the plate is coded properly. the car is manufactured in wolfsburg so that's the city code i used for the plate.

why don't you post up your car with its tag for reference

edit:

some pics for reference

tell me you can tell this is a u.s. spec car without the jersey plate up front
http://img15.imageshack.**/img15/3333/frontgcf.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.**/img10/4576/rolln.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.**/img337/4791/101708kh8.jpg

Last edited:
a) you got those reflectors on the side of the front skirt. Dead giveaway ;)
b) you are missing a sticker on your numberplate, they have 2 in front and 2 on the rear (but you won't get the originals)
c) the top sticker is not original! The emissions test or tuev test thing needs to go there (can't remember which is front and which is back), the lower sticker (missing) is the region sticker.
d) is your numberplate printed? Can't tell from the pics, German plates are "embossed"

https://pic.armedcats.net/d/d-/d-fence/2009/06/11/DSC01245.JPG

Bavaria:

DSCI0061.JPG

See, I got North Rhine Westfalia logo down there ;)

/me waits for the first German to smartass how the TUEV and ASU are not valid any more since April - I GOT NEW ONES ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
/me waits for the first German to smartass how the TUEV and ASU are not valid any more since April - I GOT NEW ONES ;)

I rather wondered if those license plates are custom ones and if you are a fan of the Electric Light Orchestra :lol:

Last edited:
Nope - the plates are not state-issued over here. You get your license plate number, leave the registration office, go to a private-run license-plate-printing business, get your plates printed (that's 20 Euros, thanks), take the plate and take it back to the registration office, where they stick a seal on it. When you unregister (word?) your car, they simply scratch the seal off and you can keep the plates.

Looks like we are a little ahead here in the north ;)

You go to the city office, pull a number, wait about 10 minutes (yes, I'm serious, they're actually efficient here!), get a desk number, go to the clerk, hand him your papers and the old number plates (if you have a secondhand car), he reaches under his desk, pulls two ready-to-use new number plates out, puts the T?V stickers on, you say bye, pay the fee at an automate using your cash card and off you go. Took me 20 minutes last time.

Obviously the city office has some number plates printed in advance by those private businesses. You only actually have to go there, if you need a special size or if you want a customized plate (which costs extra, too).

Last edited:
Last edited:
cock.jpg

I wonder if that belongs to a Porsche or BMW :)
Opel Corsa by the looks of it ... :blink:

i guess but since you're from germany, you should be able to tell the plate is coded properly. the car is manufactured in wolfsburg so that's the city code i used for the plate.
Never doubted that yours was a genuine plate or suggested that it was incorrect ... Just the general Idea behind this "trend" Lupin talked about ... that you do something because you (not YOU now, the general public) think it?s something cool and credible. I know that (concept) from said Ricers ...

Last edited:
a) you got those reflectors on the side of the front skirt. Dead giveaway ;)
b) you are missing a sticker on your numberplate, they have 2 in front and 2 on the rear (but you won't get the originals)
c) the top sticker is not original! The emissions test or tuev test thing needs to go there (can't remember which is front and which is back), the lower sticker (missing) is the region sticker.
d) is your numberplate printed? Can't tell from the pics, German plates are "embossed"

you got me on the sidemarkers. i was hoping i wouldn't get called out on it :mrgreen:

i had both stickers but the bottom one that looks like a pizza with numbers fell off during a car wash.

and

yup it's stamped so it's embossed

as soon as i have some funds to purchase a new front grille without holes in it i'm ditching the euro plate so i never bothered to pick up new stickers

Looks like we are a little ahead here in the north ;)

You go to the city office, pull a number, wait about 10 minutes (yes, I'm serious, they're actually efficient here!), get a desk number, go to the clerk, hand him your papers and the old number plates (if you have a secondhand car), he reaches under his desk, pulls two ready-to-use new number plates out, puts the T?V stickers on, you say bye, pay the fee at an automate using your cash card and off you go. Took me 20 minutes last time.

Obviously the city office has some number plates printed in advance by those private businesses. You only actually have to go there, if you need a special size or if you want a customized plate (which costs extra, too).

Good to see that some administrations speed this process up. :)

I am always in queue behind some lebanese car dealers registering like 91291991212 cars in front of me :(
took me 4h last time :(

@ Mac:

They are custom, to fit the family plates :p (we all got LO and almost similar numbers meaning my birthday, dads birtday, and date my parents got married ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
Today evening there was a story about numberplates on *cough* galileo *cough* (a very *bad* german tv-show). In germany the round plates for HU go at the back ('cause they're round like the exhaustpipe ;)), the edgy AU-plates go at the front (although they display the passed exhaust-check)

That story told about a running deal with egypt as well. A german company exports new plates for every car in egypt. oO Egypt number plates made in germany - do i need to say more?

Any egyptians here who can give more information on that?

I am always in queue behind some lebanese car dealers registering like 91291991212 cars in front of me :(
Seems strangely inefficient. We go on the internet if we want plates. It's great because it completely eliminates human interaction, which we all know is very scary. The plates then show up in the mail, and as soon as the mailman has left, you can go and grab them. :D

That story told about a running deal with egypt as well. A german company exports new plates for every car in egypt. oO Egypt number plates made in germany - do i need to say more?
Doesnt beat the german export of Zimbabwian dollars :lol:

Last edited:

That's why they have up to 10 different desks here. You pull a number when you enter and when it's your turn, the display also shows which desk to attend to.

So if some Lebanese car dealer is in front of you, you will simply be directed to the next desk instead of having to wait for him to finish.

Last edited:
So if some Lebanese car dealer is in front of you, you will simply be directed to the next desk instead of having to wait for him to finish.

From my last visit to the registration office i got the impression that at least over here there are three shady arab/turkish/eastern european dealers shouting into their cellphones on top of their lungs for every private person waiting there. Not that you could keep count because especially the eastern europeans take turns watching the numbers called so the others can stand outside and chain-smoke...
...but that was the line for temp plates, so that might expain everything.

Let me guess: Was that a Monday?

My work actually lets people have euro style plates on their car, if people want them we might as well make money off them (I think we're probably one of the only government departments with so many different options)

V%20WH%20001.JPG

Black-Euro.gif