German License Plates

3627789483_e506cd5532_o.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.**/img189/461/zwischenablage014ll.jpg

The Miata owner in your picture still did a better job at fitting his plate then the idiot i photographed last weekend.

To my knowledge, the sticker front "plates" seen on many MX-5s in the 90's are not allowed anymore... :(

no, they are not. I think the only cars you can get those sticker numberplates for are oldtimers, as you can't be asked to drill into a 1930s ferrari ;)

So what's the point in requiring a front plate if it can be mounted in such a way that it can't be read until you are literally on top of the car?
I think the sticker-plate on the whatchamacallit will show up great on any speedcamera. A better question is why superbikes does not need front plates at all. Now thats weird.

Our rules state that numberplate can't be at an angle over 15 degrees (or so) in any direction. I would be surprised if Germany doesn't have something similar.

And D-Fence's 2nd example of an Atom... Ugh. I'll take the sticker, thanks.

Last edited:
We sold 160,000 custom plates last year alone here in Victoria, proceeds of which fund road safety :p

Any German here would like to tell me which region in Germany represented by "MN" on their license plate?

UK Plates:

Okay so we have our standard... Which either have no border, a black border. Or have a GB Euro thing. They used to go something like: R789 DOJ, R- is to represent the year ('98 i believe?). On the new style it goes like this: OY09 NWZ, OY- the area which you got it from, in this case my Clio which came from near oxford. 09 is march 2009-september 2009. if it was '59' this would be sept 09- march 10. Anyway as for "temp plates" We just have dealer plates.

Dealer plates allow an un-registered car to be driven on the roads, over here cars cannot be sold unless they are registered IIRC.

Example of UK plates: (google image search ftw)
3328240070_3ff5b2e78f.jpg

Heres something an image search returned on UK plates:
EU_UK_OT.jpg

As above you can see the diplomat plates. Living near a housing estate full of yanks i see alot of these ;)

Last edited:
UK Plates:

Okay so we have our standard... Which either have no border, a black border. Or have a GB Euro thing. They used to go something like: R789 DOJ, R- is to represent the year ('98 i believe?). On the new style it goes like this: OY09 NWZ, OY- the area which you got it from, in this case my Clio which came from near oxford. 09 is march 2009-september 2009. if it was '59' this would be sept 09- march 10. Anyway as for "temp plates" We just have dealer plates.

Dealer plates allow an un-registered car to be driven on the roads, over here cars cannot be sold unless they are registered IIRC.

Example of UK plates: (google image search ftw)
3328240070_3ff5b2e78f.jpg

Heres something an image search returned on UK plates:
EU_UK_OT.jpg

As above you can see the diplomat plates. Living near a housing estate full of yanks i see alot of these ;)

I think British license plate is the best in the world. It could easily blend with the car exterior and doesn't interrupt the aerodynamics much.

Yesterday I was doing a 130 on the motorway (speedlimit 110) and a nice V70 with lots of blue and yellow stickers overtook me at about 140, and it was the first time I've seen one of these police issue plates in reality. It's an orange paper with some scribbling on it tied around a piece of cardboard with a bit of string.

10h8w1k.jpg

Rosenheim Represent!! I was considering getting RO-FL-1337, but I decided it was too nerdy, so I opted for my initials and birthyear instead. (btw, rofl1337 is taken now, it wasn't two years ago though)

German plates accentuate a car's form more than a US plate.

Italian plates look far better than German plates though. I'd like to get Italian plates if that were in any way possible without moving to Italy.

As i don't have a catalytic converter, i never had a ASU sticker. But i've never heard of this, too....

Wait a moment... if you don't have a catalytic converter, it means you don't get a red/yellow/green sticker... and if you don't have a red/yellow/green sticker it means you can't go into big cities... I thought you lived in Berlin?

Last edited:
How do you say "rolling on floor laughing" in German, anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to write the abbreviation in your native language? :p