Invitation to Finalgear Music League

Heh, that's totally an Argos catalogue. I had (still have in storage, like a sentimental shit) the Pound Purrie cat at the top.
Nothing wrong with being sentimental! I had some Pound Purries back in the day, too. <3

Here's the final update for the discard pile - Interestingly, most of my "wheels" suggestions are trucker country.

Somehow I can't attach files in this subforum/thread so you'll have to do without my wrapup image for now.

TIL "Renault Fuego" and "Title and Registration" have VERY similar intros. Discard pile updated, too. This one added a ton of songs because I just kinda threw any mildly interesting car song I could think of into a notepad.

I kept going back and forth between "Jesus Built My Hotrod" (which Sebastien submitted! and Misrabelle almost submitted! haha) and a rap song from the other state I lived in, "Put 'Em On The Glass." The temptation to go with "You're Gonna Get Yours" for the Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight reference was high, too. The Peoples' Champ won out in the end, though.

On that note, swangin' is a word! It refers to the swanga wheels on slabs and how you swerve around to show off: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/houston-slab-cars-music/index.html

Here's the final update for the discard pile - Interestingly, most of my "wheels" suggestions are trucker country.

Somehow I can't attach files in this subforum/thread so you'll have to do without my wrapup image for now.
And Red Fang! Red Fang kicks ass.

Uuuh! Rocket 88 with a pre-wifebeating Ike Turner!

There's a reason that didn't make the cut.

I grew up listening to The Beach Boys and other surf rock, you either sang about cars, girls, or surfing - often all three.

I was surprised that Mustang Sally didn’t make an appearance. I considered arguing that Barracuda fits the rules but didn't go with it in the end.

I was expecting Tracey Chapman's Fast Car and/or Prince's Litle Red Corvette actually this round. I guess most people tried to avoid the most obvious picks (me too).

Last edited:
Wasn't expecting to end up in first place, wasn't aiming for it either just tried to use songs I actually/really like. At the start I was expecting to end somewhere in the middle, halfway I was expecting to end in the top half but I never expected to end up in first place.

I really enjoyed this, but it was a lot easier at the start when the playlists were shorter. Discovered and rediscovered some music and artists and both listening to the playlists and picking a song was fun distraction.

Oh and for me too: thanks @Misrabelle apparently :ROFLMAO: . I did notice we have a rather common taste in music.
ML.jpg

I was expecting Tracey Chapman's Fast Car and/or Prince's Litle Corvette actually this round. I guess most people tried to avoid the most obvious picks (me too).
Heh, I could've subjected you to Tough Little Buggy by The Newbeats. LOOK IT UP.

wasn't aiming for it either just tried to use songs I actually/really like.
Maybe that’s the trick 😜
I did one don’t mind the long playlist, but wouldn’t mind something shorter (15?) either. So, next round split, I guess? Should add a fun element in guessing how many doubles are produced each week!

Also: thanks @Misrabelle for setting this up, especially considering your crazy schedule!

ROUND TWELVE

Position
Player
Title & Artist
1st​
Tram​
Cars – Gary Numan​
25​
19​
2nd​
DanRoM​
Highway Star – Deep Purple​
22​
16​
3rd​
Davetouch​
Buck Rogers – Feeder​
20​
16​
4th​
Eizbaer​
The Race – Yello​
20​
17​
5th​
Andeh​
Stay Wut Her Johnny (I Am A Rally Driver) – Richie Kavanagh​
19​
18​
6th​
Blind_Io​
Rockin' Down the Highway – The Doobie Brothers​
17​
15​
7th​
Leviathan​
Two-Lane Blacktop – Rob Zombie​
16​
16​
8th​
Kalf​
Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle) – Limp Bizkit​
16​
20​
9th​
Raparperi​
I Wish (Radio Edit) – Skee-Lo​
12​
15​
10th​
Inspirazioni​
Hot – Smash Mouth​
11​
15​
11th​
Anesthesia​
Piston Head – Poisonblack​
11​
12​
12th​
Son_of_Redliner​
Drivers Licence – Olivia Rodrigo​
10​
13​
13th​
93Flareside​
Red Barchetta – Rush​
10​
12​
14th​
Matt2000​
Pacific Coast Highway – Kavinsky​
8​
14​
15th​
RdKetchup​
Jesus Built My Hotrod – Ministry​
7​
19​
16th​
CraigB​
Stickshifts and Safetybelts – CAKE​
7​
15​
17th​
Misrabelle​
Sleeping in My Car – Children of Bodom​
6​
10​
18th​
Dr_Grip​
My Motor Burns – V 8 Wankers​
5​
16​
19th​
Galantti​
Fast Driving (Radio Edit) – Dallas Superstars​
5​
18​
20th​
Harish​
Ride Wit Me – Nelly, City Spud​
4​
13​
21st​
Kenny​
Fast Car – Jonas Blue, Dakota​
-3​
18​
22nd​
DaBoom​
Die Welt Gehört Mir – Blümchen​
-4​
18​
23rd​
Ninjacoco​
Swangin in The Rain – Paul Wall​
-6​
15​
24th​
RickHamilton​
Dreams and Nightmares – Meek Mill​
-7​
15​
25th​
Adrian​
Forbikjøring - Øystein Sunde​
-9**​
14​

Adrian missed the voting deadline for this round. His points for the round are void.

FINAL LEADERBOARD

Leaderboard
Kalf​
160​
DanRoM​
157​
Davetouch​
149​
Raparperi​
145​
Blind_Io​
137​
Matt2000​
134​
Galantti​
124​
Eizbaer​
124​
CraigB​
103​
Leviathan​
97​
Anesthesia​
95​
Harish​
92​
Dr_Grip​
78​
Andeh​
77​
Tram​
74​
Inspirazioni​
72​
93Flareside​
71​
Misrabelle​
69​
RdKetchup​
65​
Adrian​
49​
Ninjacoco​
48​
Kenny​
37​
Son_of_Redliner​
7​
RickHamilton​
-20​
DaBoom​
-24​

And that's it folks!! We made it!
We lost a few players along the way, we gained a few more.

Hopefully everyone found at least something they liked that they otherwise wouldn't have discovered, and that everyone had fun, despite the tedious round themes (More country theme I hear you say?), and epic playlist lengths.

So, with that, congratulations to Kalf for the win, DanRom was right up there in the mix for the entirely of the league, it could have gone either way...
Commiserations to DaBoom and RickHamilton on their close race for the wooden spoon.

Anyway, as has been discussed via Telegram, we're going to take a short break, and start pooling ideas for new leagues. I won't clog this thread with that discussion, but as a lot of people were finding it hard to get through a near 2 hour playlist each week, there has been talk of shorter leagues (4-5 weeks), and having them be themed within single genres (apparently Eurosynth and Metal people mostly agree that they aren't really into each other's style, who knew!), and then possibly regrouping for another epic round later in the year.

Thank you to everyone who joined in, even those who tapped out part way through. When I cobbled together the ideas for this league, I had hoped to get maybe 10 people who would be willing to join in, so to have almost 30 of you participate at some point was so much bigger than I could have imagined. Even if we don't all see eye to eye on our music choices, its been a heap of fun, the comments on the songs were worth the price of admission alone, though I knew they would be with this group!

Last edited:
Have fun with the next round. This was interesting but I don't feel it's the right mix for me. Some cool new discoveries and even more re-discoveries, though.

Taneli mentioned my complaints about joke songs are a running gag in some Telegram groups I am not part of, so that's an achievement as well!

Last edited:
Some ideas for future rounds:
  • Comedy/parody songs - This could be a comedy cover of an existing song or an original funny composition
  • Songs limited by timeframe, such as a song that was on the billboard hits from 1980-1989, or a song released from 1970-1975.
  • TV show theme songs
  • Motion picture soundtrack (Hard mode: No John Williams)
  • Date Night - A song you would or have played when driving your date to dinner
  • Cheese! - A song that's so cheesy you can't help but like it.
  • Epic Solo - Any instrument goes, but it must feature an epic solo (Difficulty: No Freebird)
  • B-sides - It's not the hit single, it's the B-side. Songs that were on the same album as the hit that never got the love they deserve.
  • Hard Copy - Songs that you'd play on vinyl
  • Relax - a track you'd play at the end of a long day to unwind with your favorite beverage.
  • Cardio - Get the blood pumping with tracks that energize a cardio workout
  • Stormy Day - A track for staying inside with a fire or hot beverage while it rains/snows outside.
  • Say what? - Tracks that are frequently misunderstood in some way (getting the lyrics wrong or missing the message of the song)
  • Desert Island - You're stranded on a desert island and can bring one song to listen to, what is it?
  • Ticket Magnet - If this comes on while you're driving, you know you're getting a ticket (Difficulty: No Freebird)
  • Meme - A track that's so infamous it's now a meme, but you unironically like it anyway.