Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

It's spring storm season and I'm obsessed with trying to get some epic lightning shots.

[pimping]

All I've got is this rather less-than-impressive shot, so far...

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2010/05/29/DSC_3430.jpg

[/pimping]

How do you manage to shoot in (heavy) rain and wind? Keep in mind (nomix, Ice, BCS, et al) that my gear is not waterproof and that I only have a crappy umbrella that snaps like a twig in the slightest breeze.

The only good lightning shot I've been able to get.
21281ff0.jpg

And that was by pure chance of me pressing the button at the right time.
And yes that is a screen.

Last edited:
Exactly. As you said yourself, the 70-200 f/4 with IS is nearly double, so I prefer to have the cheaper version rather than having no lens at all.
I just want to know if you?re liking it so far, what kind of pictures are you taking, nothing too technical, just your opinion on it. :)

I'm pretty happy with it. Keep in mind, the 4 lenses I have now are the first and only AF lenses I've used. I was surprised at first at the softness of all my lenses but soon found out that it was the digital camera doing that. So again, hard for me to really comment on the sharpness or compare with other lenses.

The AF is fast. It's reasonably compact and light - the 24-70 is heavier. The only time I found shortcoming was when shooting MMA events from the stands - I wished it were faster. The IS wouldn't have helped there because I wanted a faster shutter speed. Haven't ever wanted IS... yet. I use the 17-40 most of the time now because it's fairly versatile but mostly because it's small and light.

How do you manage to shoot in (heavy) rain and wind? Keep in mind (nomix, Ice, BCS, et al) that my gear is not waterproof and that I only have a crappy umbrella that snaps like a twig in the slightest breeze.

Cover your camera with a plastic bag? Use a lens hood to give the glass some protection and tape the bag to that.

I made this to explain what happened to me today...

WTF? Meme's are against the rulez?

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with it. Keep in mind, the 4 lenses I have now are the first and only AF lenses I've used. I was surprised at first at the softness of all my lenses but soon found out that it was the digital camera doing that. So again, hard for me to really comment on the sharpness or compare with other lenses.

The AF is fast. It's reasonably compact and light - the 24-70 is heavier. The only time I found shortcoming was when shooting MMA events from the stands - I wished it were faster. The IS wouldn't have helped there because I wanted a faster shutter speed. Haven't ever wanted IS... yet. I use the 17-40 most of the time now because it's fairly versatile but mostly because it's small and light.

Cover your camera with a plastic bag? Use a lens hood to give the glass some protection and tape the bag to that.

I made this to explain what happened to me today...

*ban worthy meme*

Thanks!
I did something like that a few months ago...I went to the beach (2 hours away) and just realized I left my memory card at home when I got there...

Did you use a hood?
Yes. A garbage bag was wrapped all around the hood. Of course, it was windy and the lighting was in the opposite direction of the wind, so I was pointed directly into the rain.

Or get a proper camera.

*hides*

:tease:

Yeah. A proper camera. If you can't throw a bucket of water over your camera, it's uuuuuseless.

*hides better, you found me*

Yes. A garbage bag was wrapped all around the hood. Of course, it was windy and the lighting was in the opposite direction of the wind, so I was pointed directly into the rain.

In that case I don't know there's much you can do. If you have a hatchback you could shoot from out the back of your car if the location allows. Otherwise buy a tent.

What does everyone here use for panorama stitching? I currently use Hugin, but it too often gets it wrong and requires corrections; and sometimes it can't be corrected at all. Photoshop is a bit better, but still misses a lot. Suggestions?

I just uploaded my first 3 photos to Dreamstime for reviewing. Excited and nervous about whether or not they'll get through. Got another 10 or so more to upload tomorrow but now I need to sleep. :D

I've been considering stock photography for some time. I'd like to hear what you have to say about your experience.
I have no experience with it, but I'm given to understand that it's basically dead. Unless you can consistently create technically clean images and are willing to do it all day, every day, you'll be lucky in earn a pittance.

That was similar to my impression. Some people have done well, usually those who can create a niche. Shots of people are popular so those with access to models are at an advantage.

For professionals who do regular photoshoots and retain copyright, it's easy to sell the unused images via stock and made a good residual income. I think they're the biggest earners and their stock photos are created incidental to their primary source of income. The client pays for the shoot so they have nothing to lose.

I didn't want to start taking pictures specifically for stock, but I do have a lot of photos I've taken over the years just sitting around doing nothing. If I were to shoot for stock, I was considering taking advantage of being in Japan and perhaps setting up a small light box and taking shots of items that are difficult to source overseas. It wouldn't take long to compile a decent number of shots, they would be unique and it wouldn't require much effort. I just haven't thought of what to shoot (keeping in mind that logos are a no go).