Series 19 Preview from BBC America

nickgeorge25

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
BBC America posted lots of new info about S19 on their website:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/top-gear/guide/season-19/season-19-coming-soon/

Here is a summary of the "new" info that we haven't seen yet:
- The US road trip includes a race against fighter planes
- A thorough road test of the Kia Cee'd (probably what Jeremy was working on in Budapest)
- The car used in the race to Italy is a Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 (old or new?)
- Richard track tests the Huayra (sort of known that already)
- The Africa special's objective is to find the source of the Nile
- Also, it seems to confirm that the Africa special will come at the end of the series

Season 19 of ?Top Gear? sees Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May engage in another collection of incredible adventures, absurd stunts and dream drives, ably assisted by their tame racing driver, The Stig.

In this series, the presenters use the Aston Martin Vanquish, SRT Viper and Lexus LFA for an incredible American road trip that takes in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and a race against some fighter planes before ending with a hair raising run to the Mexican border. The trio also create a unique car designed especially for old people, carry out one of Top Gear?s famously thorough road tests on the new Kia Cee?d and race a Shelby Mustang GT500 against a train in order to find the fastest way to get from Britain to Italy in time for a football match.

Also in this series, Jeremy invents the world?s smallest car and tests it out on the streets of London, James finds out what the Bentley Continental GT Speed is like on a rally stage, and Richard reaches eye popping speeds on the test track in the amazing, 720 horsepower Pagani Huayra.

There?s also one of Top Gear?s legendary epic journeys in which the presenters attempt to find the source of the River Nile using three rather tired estate cars and a sometimes sketchy knowledge of African geography. Along the way they encounter crocodile infested rivers, suspension snapping terrain and the world?s worst traffic jam. It?s the perfect conclusion to another brilliant series of Top Gear.

Last edited:
Well, the only new things we didn't know about were the See Apostrophe Dee road test, the car for old people, and the identity of the car they took to Italy. The rest of the stuff has been covered in various threads here. Richard driving the Hurrrrrrragggh isn't new, since he did make it his TG Car Of The Year in the latest mag.

That being said, there's a whiff of desperation here in terms of recycling. Cheap car road test? Done twice. Race from Britain to Italy? Well, they've done a (badly-edited) Italy-to-Britain race, as well as the close-enough Switzerland-to-Britain. Shit cars across Africa? Okay, it's northern Africa this time.

After this bunch, we had better not hear complaints from the usual crowd about TGUS "ripping off" TGUK, since TGUK is clearly cannibalizing itself.

I think cheap car challenges are one of the best things they do on TG, (The original ?100 car challenge is still one of my favourite TG features.) plus I like the cars they're doing it in this time.

I'm really looking forward to pretty much all of it, the only parts I'm a little dubious of is the old people's car and the small car. But who knows, they might turn out to be good as well.

I totally called the old people thing. That has to be what they're doing with the Multipla.

The source of the Nile is in Ethiopia though. Pretty sure I saw it with my own eyes.

No, it's Ruanda and Burundi actually. Or, and that is what i learned in school, simply Lake Victoria. In Ethopia is just the source of the blue nile, while the white one is regarded as the "original" nile river.

Well, you can hardly expect them to build new continents for road trips, right?

Well.. there is always Aus. Seems like one of the few places they haven't done a 'big' race/special. And I won't just settle for a TG Aus special either, because the US now has their own trio and the UK boys are still making them there.

Anyway, sounds like an ALRIGHT season. Nothing particularly fantastic sounding. Hopefully I am proved wrong though.

Well.. there is always Aus. Seems like one of the few places they haven't done a 'big' race/special. And I won't just settle for a TG Aus special either, because the US now has their own trio and the UK boys are still making them there.

Anyway, sounds like an ALRIGHT season. Nothing particularly fantastic sounding. Hopefully I am proved wrong though.

I'am waiting for Russia for quite a long time now. Great, wide country with a lot of wilderness, some very traditional roads though pure wilderness.... China would be an option, too. But i also wondered about Australia....we have a show named outback truckers in Germany, don't know it's origin, but they do some amazing stuff out there.
BUT Africa was great a few seasons ago. And it has the potential to be like that again. It's not always wrong to do something tried and tested.

Jezza in an American muscle car. This should be good.
Also 850 (T5-)R wagon. :w00t:

I can't wait.

Last edited:
I notice that BBC America is starting to run commercials noting Series 19 is "coming soon".

As i recall, the last few series have started their run on BBC America within a few weeks of the final broadcast on BBC2. However, now that we get Doctor Who on the same day as the UK and The Graham Norton Show the following weekend, I wonder if BBC America will be carrying the Series 19 episodes shortly after their UK debut to cut down on the pirating? Maybe on Monday at the usual time?

I wonder if BBC America will be carrying the Series 19 episodes shortly after their UK debut to cut down on the pirating? Maybe on Monday at the usual time?

BBC America is now running ads saying Series 19 starts February 4th, so they'll be running one week behind.

It physically hurt me when I saw the 850R taken off-roading.