Here's a shot from my days as a Loadmaster on the C-130

100_0566.jpg

100_0555.jpg

F4F on start up
VID00104.jpg

And the last four years of my flying career on this little gal the Kingair 200
DSC00138.jpg

Cool. :nod:

looks like someone's pretty much vertical in the background in the first photo.

[video=youtube;f1_G-Bmkntw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_G-Bmkntw[/video]

:cool:

Of course, F-14 is still the coolest looking plane to be launched off a catapult, but all planes are awesome when flung off a catapult.

Any more information? What more could there be? :p

Read somewhere yesterday (DARPA) that they have already tested one of those before and lost control to that too. They say it is traveling at about 13.000 mph (20.000 km/h) at terminal velocity and reaches temperatures of over 2.000 celsius (3.500 F).

I'm guessing it's the temperatures on the surface of the vessel giving them trouble, but idk.

how can you communicate with something that fast? once the connection is established, it's out of reach!

Magic.

Any more information? What more could there be? :p

I'm not really interested in information about this incident but about the machine itself.

how can you communicate with something that fast? once the connection is established, it's out of reach!

Maybe similar to the way they communicate with space shuttles or the ISS etc.

Last edited:
Well, radiowaves are still a heck of a lot faster than 20,000 km/h, in fact they are as fast as the speed of light so they are travelling at ~300,000 km/s or ~1 billion km/h. ;) You just need senders which can send a strong enough signal so you don't need more than one or two receivers for the whole flight (which is executed in a very high altitude, that means you reach more points of the earth with a signal).

^makes sense!

Maybe similar to the way they communicate with space shuttles or the ISS etc.

do they communicate directly with them, or do they go over a satelite?
and afaik, during re-entry, communication with the space shuttle is impossible untill speed has reduced significantly

Last edited:
If i am not mistaken , during the re entry the radio waves interfer with the ionosphere which leads to the loss of communication , it is not a speed issue.

It's actually due to the heat of reentry, directly in proportion to speed, which creates a layer of ionized plasma around the shuttle until it slows down enough and the heat due to air friction is lower. If it was due to the ionosphere, you'd have a corresponding loss of communication during launch, which there isn't.

The shuttle could communicate during reentry once a satellite network was established, though, because of its plane-like shape; the ionized plasma left a "hole" near the tail through which radio waves could still be transmitted.

DARPA issues statement on failed flight of hypersonic aircraft

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency released a statement on today?s flight of the Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2.

According to the statement, DARPA, as the agency is known, said that everything was going to plan up until the glide phase, which occurred about nine minutes into flight.

As we reported earlier: The Falcon launched at 7:45 a.m. from Vandenberg Air Force Base, northwest of Santa Barbara, into the upper reaches of Earth's atmosphere aboard an eight-story Minotaur IV rocket, made by Orbital Sciences Corp.

After reaching an undisclosed sub-orbital altitude, the aircraft jettisoned from its protective cover atop the rocket, then nose-dived back toward Earth, leveled out and began to glide above the Pacific at 20 times the speed of sound, or Mach 20.

Then the trouble began.

?Here?s what we know,? said Air Force Maj. Chris Schulz, DARPA?s program manager. ?We know how to boost the aircraft to near space. We know how to insert the aircraft into atmospheric hypersonic flight. We do not yet know how to achieve the desired control during the aerodynamic phase of flight. It?s vexing; I?m confident there is a solution. We have to find it.?

DARPA also said that information was gathered from more than 20 air, land, sea and space data collection systems.

?We?ll learn. We?ll try again. That?s what it takes,? said DARPA Director Regina Dugan.

That?s an interesting statement because Thursday?s launch was the second and last scheduled flight for the Falcon program, which began in 2003 and cost taxpayers about $320 million.

?DARPA has assembled a team of experts that will analyze the flight data collected during today?s test flight, expanding our technical understanding of this incredibly harsh flight regime,? said Schulz, the prograam manager. ?As today?s flight indicates, high-Mach flight in the atmosphere is virtually uncharted territory. ?

A more in-depth story is posted here.

Thought this news story may be of interest to our pilot FG members.

BBC News - British Airways launches pilot recruitment drive

BBC News said:
British Airways plans to hire 800 new pilots by 2016, with half of the places being offered to first-time trainees.

BA said it was the biggest hiring campaign by the carrier in 10 years.

The airline has posted a YouTube video in the hope of attracting young applicants to a pilot training scheme it is sponsoring.

The other positions will be filled by pilots poached from rival firms, and ex-military pilots to be retrained by BA, working with the UK armed forces.

The planned hirings are equivalent to a quarter of BA's 3,200 total number of current pilots.

BA said that its "future pilot programme" aimed to hire 400 trainees.

more via link

Probably good news for some of the RAF Harrrier pilots recently made redundant.

:)

A few weeks ago I was certain I saw a Mil Mi-24 helicopter flying over Ellis county, Texas. I thought, surely it wasn't, that would be impossible! However, it turns out there are more than a couple "Hinds" in Texas, so it could have been the real deal.

In fact, I believe it might have been this one:

Last edited: