The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Russians training for the demonstrations at the MAKS-2011 exhibition, starting tomorrow in Moscow. The T-50:

005949he

0059k7bq

Be-200 awesomeness:

0059e88q

And some formation flying by the Russian Vityazi and Strizhi teams:

0059gzd7

Always amazed me how BIG the Su-27 is. Truly a beast of an aircraft!

if they had those cams on the columbia, they would've known instantly sth went wrong...

GoPro cameras are only made recently. HD would've been a massive help with many incidents had it been more common in the late 90s.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/08/15/airshow.jpg

Russians training for the demonstrations at the MAKS-2011 exhibition, starting tomorrow in Moscow. The F-22ski:
[/IMG]

Fixed that for ya... :D

Except that the T-50 is busy collecting flight hours, whereas the F-22 is busy collecting cobwebs...

No kidding. Poor F-22

And not to mention the Pak-Fa is cheaper.

There are civilian Mig's and theres that one guy who owns a Harrier.
In 20 years time people are gonna be buying F-22's and euro fighters on ebay?

How come it's always the ex-Czech/Russian ones that are for sale?

Did I miss something about the F-22 getting grounded?

The fleet is grounded due to oxygen system issues. Not exactly on the scale of, say, an airframe-defect, and the Raptors aren't exactly in demand at the moment so its no big loss.

Last edited:
Original content, yo! Video clips and louds noises and stuff, it's cool! Watch it full screen in HD, I'll give you an e-pat on the back if you do, e-high five!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9SDbxhZTQQ

full set of photos here
http://photos.brenot.ca/index.php/2011/Fargo-Airsho

includes stuff like this
fargosho_38.jpg

and this
fargosho_31.jpg

And now that I've seen the Blue Angels for the first time since I was either two or four and can actually remember it this time, they're exactly the same as the Thunderbirds, aren't they? I dunno, I just don't really care for the program. It's a mix of incredibly precise formation flying and technical demonstration, whereas the Snowbirds and other groups with slower planes like the Red Arrows are all about aerobatic formation flying because crappy little trainers can't do high alpha passes and near supersonic sneak passes. Watch as the diamond flies past you, watch as they fly past you again, watch as they fly past you inverted, watch as the diamond does a loop one time. Love the loud noises though.

/what I did on the weekend

Last edited:
Blue Angels are F/A-18s the Thunderbirds are F-16s. Comepletely different airframes. Their shows are quite involved and have won numerous international competitions. I've had the pleasure watching the snow birds and the Italian demonstration team. The larger formations are cool to watch but the precision of the Blues is just incredible.

I'll be honest, I'm a fan of the Blues over the other demo teams I've seen as well. The precision is freakin awesome and I think the solos are better. While the T-birds seem to concentrate more on passes and whatnot, the Blue Angels, IMO, have a great mix of passes, solos, and group maneuvers. Not sure if I shared them, but here's a few of my favorite pics from the last time I saw them:

Diamond Roll by Finktel Jr Productions, on Flickr

Perfect Mirror by Finktel Jr Productions, on Flickr

Opposing Solos by Finktel Jr Productions, on Flickr

The Beautiful Break by Finktel Jr Productions, on Flickr

Delta at the Top by Finktel Jr Productions, on Flickr

There are civilian Mig's and theres that one guy who owns a Harrier.
In 20 years time people are gonna be buying F-22's and euro fighters on ebay?

How come it's always the ex-Czech/Russian ones that are for sale?

Because if you've got the cash, they'll sell you anything there. I'm saving up for a Typhoon ballistic missile submarine right now. :p

The Americans, on the other hand, are unbelievably anal about who gets what in terms of old military equipment. Anything made subsequent to the F-4 isn't ever likely to make its way into civilian hands (at least, in anything remotely resembling airworthy condition).

Because if you've got the cash, they'll sell you anything there. I'm saving up for a Typhoon ballistic missile submarine right now. :p

The Americans, on the other hand, are unbelievably anal about who gets what in terms of old military equipment. Anything made subsequent to the F-4 isn't ever likely to make its way into civilian hands (at least, in anything remotely resembling airworthy condition).

Which is why I'm looking to Iran to purchase my second-hand F-14! :rolleyes: