The "New Toys" Thread

Logitech G5 for EVER. Who else weights theirs down so its the weight of a mouse with AA batteries in it?
I don't have any weights in mine and actually probably wouldn't mind having it be a lighter. I can't stand heavy mice due to their inertia and because I pick mine up so much (due to low sensitivity).

I just ordered a C2D8400 2x3GHz. A step up from my 6300 which only has 2x1,86 and 2 MB L2 cache. The charts on Toms Hardware suggest a 50%+ performance rise all around. Its for my HTPC, so no Q4 is needed.
I still have a P965 chipset, so the next CPU generation prolly won't work on my Mobo anyway. Hope this thing will work flawlessly, I already updated the Bios and Asus says it should do. We'll see... No pic since everybody knows what it looks like

Also:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/08/04/Freezer7LP_01l.jpg
Finally an affordable Cooler for low HTPC cases. I also really like Artic, they always had solid products, IMO. From what I read it has a great mounting mechanism, and is a lot better that the stock coolers that did an ok job (when properly speedfan regulated) up until now for me.

No no no no no no. MX1000 FTMFW.

Absolutely!

the only issue I've had with (both) my MX1000 is that it's difficult to get on the charger properly sometimes. I don't charge it but every few days and it has a fairly obvious charge indicator so just throw it on the cradle when it gets down to one green blip and I'm fine. fantastic size/weight for my big ol' hands and the button placement is damn good. I dread the day that this second one dies because I don't think they're all that easy to find anymore and Logitech went backwards in usability since then.

^ Indeed, although I've never had any of the problems that people say about having trouble putting it on the charger. Its perfect. Just the right size for my hands, and the buttons are brilliant. I wanted one for ages before I got it, and it hasn't come close to disappointing.

I picked up a Plantronics Headset a few days ago during Quakecon.

http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/188/dscf0157iu7.th.jpg

picked up a 12v adapter splitter-offer device thingy today. Wouldn't be so notable if I hadn't spent considerable effort to get the damn thing. Best Buy, Circuit Shitty, Walmart, Target, etc. all failed me. Good ol' Radio Shack had one for seven bucks and all is well :)

MX510 looks exactly like a G5.

Logitech-MX510-mouse_medium.jpg

logitechg5entire.jpg

I do wish the MX 1000 had teflon feets instead of the horrid plastic patches of worthlessness on it, but meh, whatever. they just come off real easy after a year of (ab)use.

Sorry to interup tyou mouse stuff again (btw, I have a MX 700 and a wave, the laser mouse that comes with the wave is quite ok @gaming, too, I wiped out all my friends @COD4), but after only 20hours after ordering my new CPU and cooler, they arrived.

The AC cooler has an interesting mounting mechanism, but its a bit hard to correctly place the heatsink on the CPU.
Anyway, 2 questions:

Is it normal, that the 8400 switches multipliers from 9 to 6 when its idle? I guess thats the speedstep, right? My old 6300 didn't do that.

Also: The 2 cores have completly different temps. On the 6300 they were like 1?C apart, now the 2nd core is 5-6? hotter. Is that normal???

Still, 3 different progs report 3 differnt temps, all with a 5? delta in between. I guess that has to do with the unknown max temp of that Intel CPUs...

Performance: I like it. I bought it, because my 6300 was on the edge when watching 1080p HDTV over a DVBS2 tuner card.

Now: 1080p h.264 + Decoding DVBS2 + emulating CI + decoding encryption (its paytv) = 40-50% CPU usage. I like it!!!

The multiplier switching is normal = Intel Speedstep. If one of your core reports a lower temp on idle then the sensor is stuck, don't worry about that.

Hm, dunno about the stuck sensor. CoreTemp has a test for that, and it was ok... Well, not to worry, I believe. The temps are so low anyway... ;-)

Hm, dunno about the stuck sensor. CoreTemp has a test for that, and it was ok... Well, not to worry, I believe. The temps are so low anyway... ;-)

Yeah don't worry about it.. My Q6600 difference in temp from the first to last core can be say 5-7 degree's more..

Logitech G5 for EVER. Who else weights theirs down so its the weight of a mouse with AA batteries in it?

Logitech G5 FTW.

I'm on my 3rd one now (heavy duty gaming breaks buttons, yay), apparently it's blue now with 2 thumb buttons. I use 2x 1.7g weights in mine.

First one, i broke the tilt wheel, cause i always use the tilt for back and forward in browsers. On the second one i broke the leftclick button from too much hammering in games. Now i have the newer blue one which i dont think looks as good, but i wouldnt have any other mouse.

Oh and before the G5 i went through 1x MX510 and 2x MX518. :lol:

Logitech G5 FTW.

I'm on my 3rd one now (heavy duty gaming breaks buttons, yay), apparently it's blue now with 2 thumb buttons. I use 2x 1.7g weights in mine.

First one, i broke the tilt wheel, cause i always use the tilt for back and forward in browsers. On the second one i broke the leftclick button from too much hammering in games. Now i have the newer blue one which i dont think looks as good, but i wouldnt have any other mouse.

Oh and before the G5 i went through 1x MX510 and 2x MX518. :lol:

Yeah, I have one of the blue ones. I have 3 1.7g weights and 5 4.5s in mine :lol:

I know this is last page discussion, but I'm on my second wireless laser mouse right now (actually, it's a VX revolution I got for my laptop, but since the left click button on the one that came with my MX3200 set decided it wants to work only whenever it wants I'm using it on my desktop). Anyway, if you're all complaining about rechargeable batteries not working, well you need some better ones. I've been using Rayovac 15-minute rechargeable AAs for two years now. They last easily a month in my mice, being used at least 6-8 hours a day. They also work wonderfully in my cameras and they charge quickly.

Although, when I originally got them they were cheaper, especially the charger.

Traded in my busted RAZR for this:

Sony Ericsson W380i

http://img134.imageshack.**/img134/4159/asdsdafad8.jpg

Came with a 512MB card and adaptor, has FM radio (wish there was AM for sports radio I listen to) and the raised track controls on the front with a hidden front display.

Kinda neat, it cost me a whopping 1? :mrgreen:. I wanted the W580i, but wasn't a cheap phone for my contract deal.

Traded in my busted RAZR for this:

Sony Ericsson W380i

http://img134.imageshack.**/img134/4159/asdsdafad8.jpg

Came with a 512MB card and adaptor, has FM radio (wish there was AM for sports radio I listen to) and the raised track controls on the front with a hidden front display.

Kinda neat, it cost me a whopping 1? :mrgreen:. I wanted the W580i, but wasn't a cheap phone for my contract deal.

Cool. My phone is a lot less cool but looks similar (W200i) and does pretty much the same. How come you only paid 1 c though?

How come you only paid 1 c though?

Because he probably either signed a contract or had a handset upgrade offer from his carrier. Kinda like how the iPhone is now only $199.