The Ultimate macOS Thread

Coversutra, spacesuit, chrome, picasa, adium, spotify utorrent tweetdeck.

I don't use any of those. (except utorrent, but that's on my PC)

I'm pretty sure there's a thread about this, if it hasn't already been covered in this one.

Your what? VPN or printer? ;)

Both, but the VPN interface sucks compared to before. (tell me if I don't make sense, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computing terminology)

What annoys me most about Snow Leopard is the amount of third-party stuff it breaks, for example printer drivers for Canon network printers (new drivers are announced by Canon for "late november") and Cisco VPN Client (yeah, i know, support for Cisco VPN is now built-in, but not for encrypted pre-shared passwords - EPIC FAIL).

Yeah it has vista-like compatibility fail. :(

Coversutra, spacesuit, chrome, picasa, adium, spotify utorrent tweetdeck.

These are my main used ones https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thomas93/2009/10/30/Screenshot_on_2009-10-30_at_14.47.12.png

I have none of those things :lol:
Why would a car nerd use utorrent over transmission anyway?

I find it to be more useless crap personally.

Transmission is just so beautifully simple. I don't need more functions in my Torrent program :)

And, well, the icon is a shifter :-D

Transmission is greatness. I run it on my headless sever with the web interface. Works brilliantly with my iphone,

Seeing as this thread has been bumped I was going to post some thoughts on SL, but forgot what I was going to say.

Coming from 10.4

+
  • Faster shut down.
  • FF3 loads faster.

-
  • Don't like the networking - no shortcut in sidebar, need 2 windows open etc
  • Finder seems to not stick to one view type, can't work it out.
  • Automator now requires me to point to a file for existing workflows, pain in the arse, just open the damn UI!

Just remembered what it was.

In 10.4 when playing something in iTunes I used to be able to click and hold on the icon in the dock and would be given a whole bunch of options, like next track, previous track, rate, pause, etc etc. Now I don't. WTF?! That was really useful.

I have to say that when weighing up the pros and cons I prefer 10.4 to 10.6. I would probably go back but I'm too lazy. The small increases in speed do not make up for the losses in usability and functionality.

:no:

Edit: Oh the Automator problem wasn't that bad, if I click "cancel" it just stays open like before. It just means there is an extra step, and my saved process didn't show up so I had to find it anyway.

Thevictor390: Ah, control click works. It just means I have to now use 2 hands to do what I did with 1 before (let the pron jokes begin), or twist the one hand into an awkward position. Maybe I'm just not well versed enough in the new features and/or I don't have the opp to take adv of them.

Last edited:
^ Cheers.

I guess part of what annoys me is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", meaning a lot of the stuff I was happy with has been mucked around with.

And the other part is that a lot of the changes don't make sense to me.

For example, the click and hold on dock icon used to give you a menu, now it gives previews of the windows open in that program. Well for those of us used to the old system we had to learn a new method of bringing up the menu. It would have been much easier to have the old system (click and hold) bring up the old menu and the new system (control click) bring up the new one. How many windows do you have open at one time anyway? I use tabs in FF. Using expose hot corners and/or apple-tab to display programs and all windows was handy enough.

Not to mention the network/server/connected server folder now not in the sidebar.

/rant.

Well, at this exact time I have 15 windows opened so I like this new feature a lot, then again I used to ctrl-click or right-click on the Dock to get the menus.

Yeah, before it worked both ways, so they had to change one of them. Similar menus are usually reached by control+clicking/right-clicking in other applications anyway.

Another annyance (i must admit, one where i don't know weather it's OS X's fault):
When using my apple remote to unpause a Video in VLC, iTunes opens and starts playing. Can't say if that's cause Apple fucked something up or cause VLC does not claim it's rights to the Remote in the way it should, but it's new with Snow Leopard and very much unappreciated.

The Apple Remote support on Snow Leopard is shit. You can try Candelair, an free alternative driver which seems to fix this issue.

Is there any way at all to assign a mousebutton driver in 10.6? It's driving me insane. I want my backward-button!

Well, if you have a Microsoft or Logitech mouse, you can try downloading their drivers, I believe you can assign actions to each buttons with these drivers.