The Windows 8 Thread: Impressions, news, random thoughts.

Not as much a revolution as sheer insanity on Microsoft's part.

I'll take my "$30 service pack" any day. At least OS X consistently gets better with every update. You can't always say that for Microsoft's OSes. :p

I'm not sure about that, my mac started with 10.5 Leopard and I'm struggling to think of many features that have been added in the last couple of releases that were either game changers or something I couldn't possibly live without

New favorite ad. :D Good work Microsoft.

Moving to the appropriate thread:
Which version are you on?

Tried restarting and all that jazz? :p Are you still running a preview?

Yes, still a preview, the "release preview." To be honest I don't even know what the latest available is, though if it is fully released there was a serious advertising fail somewhere.

I was able to get into the control panel yesterday, and switch keyboard modes! :dance:

But since Windows Explorer is having all sorts of issues (partially drawn toolbar icons, not refreshing view after file manipulation) it's probably time to figure out where we are on the release cycle and see if I can get an update.

Moving to the appropriate thread:

Yes, still a preview, the "release preview." To be honest I don't even know what the latest available is, though if it is fully released there was a serious advertising fail somewhere.

I was able to get into the control panel yesterday, and switch keyboard modes! :dance:

But since Windows Explorer is having all sorts of issues (partially drawn toolbar icons, not refreshing view after file manipulation) it's probably time to figure out where we are on the release cycle and see if I can get an update.

Pre launch advertising started a short while ago with this:

These two are definetly for the US/Canada...there are two more that Microsoft leaves ambigous as to whether they'll be shown here.

The first "Taylor Swiftalike" ad is awful, dunno what happened there but the 2nd one is decent.

It RTM'd a while ago and you can get copies on TechNet or MSDN/MSDN - AA (aka, DreamSpark through your school)

I couldn't get onto the DreamSpark through schools program due to my major being the ugly stepchild of the tech majors here (it's for Comp. Sci. and MIS majors the admin insists!) so I installed Windows Server 2012 through the regular DreamSpark with various tweaks to get back the Windows 8 experience. Runs well, has full access to the Windows Store and I have no complaints. Only downside is configuring everything can be time consuming but this: http://www.win2012workstation.com/ helped a lot through their various guides.

Windows 8 retail availability is this Friday.

Last edited:
It definitely is for my tablet, as many problems as I have with it, everything broken is something that didn't exist in Windows 7 anyway :lol:

I'll be buying it this weekend.

Just saw this:

Windows 8 Upgrade for $39.99

I wonder if it is worth the upgrade yet.

It is, and since you bought your machine during the upgrade program, you can get Windows 8 Pro for 15 bucks.

Honestly I highly recommend it for the performance gains alone over 7. Switch a few "open this program with" defaults (videos open in the metro style video player by default, for example) and you'll remain on the desktop 99% of the time if your heart desires.

With so many features (Live Tiles, Beautiful Windows Store apps + new multitasking that take advantage of the widescreen on today's PC's, integration with social networks if desired, settings sync between pc's when you use your Microsoft Account, Xbox Music streaming included for free, and more) it's a no brainier upgrade.

I know I bought it during that time, but how do I actually get it for $15?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Last edited:
To continue the discussion from the new toys thread, that start menu search is actually rather annoying to access with a touch screen. Swipe inward from the left edge, press start, swipe inward from the left edge again, press search, press the text box, and then you get the on screen keyboard. I find things much easier when I plug in my keyboard dock and use it in conjunction with the screen acting as the mouse.

Maybe I will put in some effort into actually organizing the start menu, I didn't realize you could categorize it.

I should also add that some of the interface is helped by the tablet having a phsyical start button, since the normal one is not accessible from the desktop without a swipe....

I hear from a lot of people who didn't realize you could organise the new start menu. It's one of the things I like most about Windows 8. The whole start screen, and the ability to customise it to your liking and to your own workflow. To me, Windows feels much more like an OS that can be tailored to your workflow, than, say Windows XP, where your workflow needed to be attuned to the OS. Windows 7 was a large step in the right direction, but Windows 8 allows for even more. I do have to admit that I don't use any metro apps at all, I just don't like the looks and the workflow, the amount of whitespace all around, and the general unwieldiness of them.

My biggest issue with Windows 7 is definitely lack of some sort of unified app laucher, they tried with the taskbar but it's not great. The new "start" menu might solve this. Again it comes back to interface though, moving tiles around is very finicky with touch control. You press and hold until it shakes a bit, then move down, or something. It doesn't always do what I expect.

Yeah, I can understand. Sadly, I don't (yet) own a device where I can play with Windows 8 and a touch interface, so I cannot really comment on that. I'd love to do some day ofc, to see how well Windows adapts to a touchscreen.

Well...I upgraded. So far I have mixed feelings.

1. The new start menu is indeed a big improvement. I like the organization.
2. The menu in the right part of the screen seems unnecessary to me. I would like to turn it off, but I can't find an option to do so. Also, that's the only place where you can find the Shut Down button.
3. There appear to be some bugs - every time I start a game, the desktop background reverts to the stock Vaio background. Annoying.
4. Nothing seems to work faster. It's not slower, but it's not faster either.

I just bought it with the $15 offer. I'm trying to decide if I should put in on the desktop or laptop, but the latter would only make sense if I could then use the Win7 key from the laptop on the desktop. Is there a reason it wouldn't?

I'd like to give it a try (wasn't convinced by the Developer and Release Previews), but I really don't want to go through the process of reinstalling and reconfiguring all my applications again.
Does it take advantage of dual monitors apart from the native support for two toolbars?

95% of my applications transferred over.

...well, about half of them need to be updated now, but that was the easiest upgrade of an OS I have ever done.

I'd like to give it a try (wasn't convinced by the Developer and Release Previews), but I really don't want to go through the process of reinstalling and reconfiguring all my applications again.
Does it take advantage of dual monitors apart from the native support for two toolbars?

There's far more multi-mon features in Windows 8 over 7: http://www.pcworld.com/article/261504/windows_8_multi_monitor_tips_and_tricks.html

That article is a bit older, but you can do things like have the start screen on one monitor and have your desktop on another. Same goes for Metro Apps.

Last edited:
Stardock's Start8 is looking really good right about now. It brings back the Start menu and lets you jump right to the desktop, skipping Metro all together, if you chose. I've left Metro on so I can get updates upon bootup and then just click the Desktop tile.

Does anyone know how to turn off those ugly Library labels? When you select libraries like Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc there are these fugly colored tabs that appear in the title bar above the "Manage" button. Who the hell chose pink, purple and that horrible yellow as the color pallet? Yuck!

Stardock's Start8 is looking really good right about now. It brings back the Start menu and lets you jump right to the desktop, skipping Metro all together, if you chose. I've left Metro on so I can get updates upon bootup and then just click the Desktop tile.

Does anyone know how to turn off those ugly Library labels? When you select libraries like Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc there are these fugly colored tabs that appear in the title bar above the "Manage" button. Who the hell chose pink, purple and that horrible yellow as the color pallet? Yuck!

I think their goal was to attract one's attention that an option is there..a "hey look here!" thing.

You can probably use something like Total Commander instead to get the "classic" look back, although I prefer the Ribbon myself.