The Post Your Pets Thread

Shawn, you could get a small cheap R/C car for Hunter to chase :D

Looks like you got a great cat there.

That could be a very good idea, since it would be fun for us both. But I don't think he'll like it so much since when he does catch it, it'll be hard and cold plastic.

And thanks. :)

Cats generally amuse themselves - but I've always found some small toys with catnip give them plenty of entertainment. First I've heard about catnip not being popular here - it seems to work in my experience.

I read that factoid on Wikipedia's catnip page, so it could very well be false information.

Playing with him for 10-15 minutes or so is good. Letting him have the major toys (things on wands, chasey things) all day will result in him getting bored. However, whatever method you use to play with him, make sure you end the session (if he doesn't run off) by letting him "catch" and "kill" the toy (or your hand, if you are playfighting), then gnaw on it for a while. Then you can take it away and he won't feel robbed.

No playfighting for us, I'm too much of a scaredycat myself for that. I did just yank it away which he didn't seem to like too much, I'll keep your advice in mind Spectre.

My cat (O'Malley) just plays with string or anything he can chase along the ground when he's in the mood for it. He also loves my super bounce ball (to lay on) and pieces of crumpled-up newspaper (to play with).
I've found cats love to sit on paper too -especially anything you are using/reading- for example, O'Malley is laying on my school folder right now and is alseep. And snoring. He cracks me up, he's hilarious without intending to be :D

EDIT: don't worry about the hiding under beds thing, O'Malley still does that after 10/11 years. As he is doing now, because dad is playing with the motorbike and it's muffler-less exhaist pipes, and woke O'Malley up.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Hunter has a bouncy ball too. But I think he just likes to see me bounce it, it's too big for him to do anything to.

He hasn't really been hiding under the bed after the first night. Yesterday when I went to take a shower he went and hid there, but he didn't even care when I showered this morning. He actually came in and looked at me for a bit... I think he sees me as a big cat, and he was probably thinking, "wow, is this cat crazy? why would you voluntarily put water all over yourself?" :D

Last edited:
Yeah, people have been trying to figure out what cats think we are for pretty much forever. :D

By the way, I hear catnip is not popular in Oz because the domestic cats there are all somehow immune to it? Or at least don't get any effects off of it.

I think that is right ... something to do with the genetic stock from which Australian cats come from. I planted some catmint in the garden a few years ago and Bugalugs sniffed around it in the same way as she sniffs around any plant.

On the other hand, she goes nuts over Cat Grass. We grow it in a little tray for her. When it's ready and she's introduced to it she seems just fascinated with it. Its looks rather odd to see such a carnivore enjoy eating grass. Supposedly it helps reduce furball problems and is good for indoor cats who don't have access to grass outdoors ... but I can unhappily report that it doesn't eliminate furballs completely.

we had catmint in the garden, and our puss loved it to death (literally). We had to keep getting more because she would roll in it so much it wouldn't survive long.

A warning about toys, take care buying anything that makes a noise. If you do buy the ball with the bell in it, make sure you find it every night and put it somewhere Hunter (who is rather cute BTW) can't get it, otherwise it'll be 2am and you'll be stumbling around trying to take it off him.

We also had a little toy fishing rod with a fluffy toy on the end. We could cast and reel it in while kicking back and watching the tube, or reading a book.

I was attracted by his awesome face and long/lean body at the shelter.
You sound like my ex. :D

Sorry.
Hunter's a very pretty cat, Shawn!

A few of my dog (had to put him down last year).

n50203647_30033667_6807.jpg

n50203647_30541573_406.jpg

n50203647_30366117_8933.jpg

Ugh, so many pets that are no longer in this world. That sucks people, God should have made pets live as long as their owners.

We're off to the vet in an hour, not sure how I'm gonna get Hunter in his carrier. It's been sitting out for a day now, but he doesn't show much interest. I guess I could put a treat in there, but he'll probably never eat one again after that. :D

Edit: Just came back from the vet. I put a treat in his carrier, but as expected he was too smart to go in fully to grab it, so I had to push his butt in. But he's so good in the car, I think it has to do with the fact that he's traveled across the province with the SPCA.

The vet said he was in good health, and didn't need to come back again until next year barring any illness. He didn't seem to do much, just looked at the ears and mouth, and listened to his belly. The only thing is he said Hunter's gums are quite sore on the one side of his mouth, which is likely from eating crap food for a year. On the one hand, he said they would fall out in a year or so, but on the other hand all he recommended was that I give him t/d (Tooth Diet dry food) two days a week and the same Royal Canin the other five. Can a specially formulated food really keep his teeth from falling out? I would hate for my 2 or 3 year old cat to be missing teeth on one side of his mouth. :(

I was also going to ask the vet about furball remedies but I forgot. Do you guys give anything to yours? Most foods seem to claim they prevent or reduce hairballs, but seems like most cats get them with varying frequency, so they must not really be very effective. I've also seen hairball oils, pastes, lickable sticks, and been told that pet grass will help him with it. What do you folks recommend, if anything?

Last edited:
You can but hope with the Tooth Diet food. I'd be doing what the vet said and giving it a go.

Furballs - we brushed our long-haired cat every day (she learnt to really enjoy it and would just lie there, particularly when we did her belly), and tried the furball reducing Whiskas dry food and she had access to grass. She still got them. but certainly much reduced in occurance. Her main thing was that if we forgot to brush her she'd cough up a couple.

My cat has the same length of hair as yours, and has never once hacked up a fuball. I guess it all depends on an individual basis. If he hacks one up every week, then I would find ways to ease or prevent it, but for now just wait and see what will happen.

Don't be frightened when he does though; it looks and sounds like they are in agony but it is quite painless to them.

I would like to add also that he is one beautiful cat. I do not know what the breed is, but it is not Tabby. Same cats as that one Youtube video with the two talking.

Last edited:
I was also going to ask the vet about furball remedies but I forgot. Do you guys give anything to yours? Most foods seem to claim they prevent or reduce hairballs, but seems like most cats get them with varying frequency, so they must not really be very effective. I've also seen hairball oils, pastes, lickable sticks, and been told that pet grass will help him with it. What do you folks recommend, if anything?

My parents two cats have really dense fur, like they have normal fur and then under it they have some really fluffy extremely fine fur, makes it almost impossible to separate the fur and look at their skin. They shed A LOT of fur and I never heard my parents talk about furballs, or seen the cats cough one up when I've been 'cat-sitting', so unless he really has a problem with it I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the information guys and gal - I love FG because there's people who give you car advice, computer advice, pet advice and even sex advice lately.

I was going to buy one of those plastic spray bottles in case he misbehaves, but I didn't because I felt bad. He's been extremely pleasant so far, I hate to anticipate things he doesn't even bother me with. So I will wait and see if he does have hairball issues. I was thinking given he sheds so much, he probably doesn't swallow too much of it.

Everyone has been saying he's beautiful, even the vet. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions about what breeds he could be. I do not care, mixed cats are always the cutest anyway. I'm just curious to know.

Here he is again for reference - he loves the sun which is good, because when it comes out here you need to soak up as much as possible:

Whoever said you couldn't play with cats was wrong. My cat loves this dangly toy I was talking about last night. It came back out today and it gave him such a good work out. I found out dangling it around his tree/scratching post is added fun because he confuses the two as one and it's added fun for him.

Also, he is insanely athletic. Before I was playing with him, he was chasing absolutely nothing around the house. I saw him jump across the room halfway in the air. Cats are perfect for apartments apparently, even their playing is made more fun by having lots of different heights and holes in a tiny area.

Anyway, I have grown tired of doing this whole 'cat diary' thing myself now, so I will stop. I think he's fully made himself at home now. I couldn't find him earlier, and it was because he was in the last place I'd look - the bathtub! He also let me pick him up and rub his belly today, and he seems to like going under the sheets.

I guess that about does it, so I'll be shutting up now. Maybe just some pics sometimes if I take nice ones.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2009/03/06/DSC_0565.JPG

Buy a brush and brush him once or twice a day, that should thin out his fur so he won't ingest so much - and he will have fewer hairballs.

Yeah, your cat is quite handsome - good to see that he's settling in. :D

Last edited:
Yup, will buy a brush tomorrow hopefully. I bought a cheap comb because I didn't want to hurt his skin/fur, but it doesn't even pick up any hair when combing him.

Any idea if I have to go to a pet store or will find something adequate elsewhere? The ones at the pet stores are all like $30-40.

BACK OFF HUMAN, MY BONE. :D

Also the third picture and Shawn's last picture are very nice, seem to capture the personality of the pets nicely. :cheers:

Yup, will buy a brush tomorrow hopefully. I bought a cheap comb because I didn't want to hurt his skin/fur, but it doesn't even pick up any hair when combing him.

Any idea if I have to go to a pet store or will find something adequate elsewhere? The ones at the pet stores are all like $30-40.

You should be able to get something adequate at a supermarket. A brush with protected wire on one side and bristles on the other is good. Bugalugs loves the wire, it scratches the bits she can't get to herself.