Cool Videos

Who takes a selfie while changing a light bulb? Someone doing it at 1500'...

Not a selfie. The photographer was the drone pilot. :)

What is he doing at 1:30?

So, why doesn't he use a parachute to go back down?

Wouldn't it be a lot faster than climbing back down?

I don't think a parachute would slow his descent sufficiently, they usually have a few thousand feet to slow down someone/something.

And what about base jumpers? They jump from altitudes lower than 600m, and this pylon is "only" 472m.

The wires that help hold the tower would ruin his day if he hit them.

Who takes a selfie while changing a light bulb? Someone doing it at 1500'...
To me, his safety equipment makes all the difference between "Interesting job, wonder how I'd do." and the "Oh no, can't watch this!" sensation I get from the clandestine climbing videos.

One of the worst was a first person view of a crew climbing a similar tower for work, but without using the safety hooks. It gave me shivers down my spine.

Last edited:
So, why doesn't he use a parachute to go back down?

Wouldn't it be a lot faster than climbing back down?

And what about base jumpers? They jump from altitudes lower than 600m, and this pylon is "only" 472m.

Base Jumping is a very dangerous sport. And definitely not for the inexperienced parachutist. They say it usually requires a skydiver 200-300 skydives from top altitude to gain the skills to perform the most basic base jumps. And even then, the danger is very real and very probable. Even the most experienced packers get chutes that open off track, which means they can hit the object that they just jumped from. The impact will deflate their parachutes and they'd fall straight to the ground. Sometimes even a breeze is enough to put a base jumper on a collision course with the cliff/building/tower/bridge. And this is not a matter of skill, but a matter of chance. No employer would allow their employees to take these kind of chances on the job.

In addition to that, base jumping is illegal in many countries around the world, due to some type of law, by-law or another. There's very few places around the world where base jumping is legal, and those places have been authorized specifically to cater to base jumpers, by the governments or authorities in the area. There's also places where base jumping is permitted, but only temporarily, such as "Bridge Day" or base jumping tournaments, where governments allow base jumping from structures in cities only for a single day, and only for a few hours, and only to the very few lucky experienced jumpers that get to take part. And again, no employer would allow one of their employees to do something illegal on the job. If caught, they'd probably get fired.

That is a steep angle.

The only remotely plausible way down, besides using the ladder, is repelling (like a rock climber) down the outside...but still not ideal. The number of times I can imagine someone needs to climb up there are too minimal to consider any riskier methods that might be faster.

Last edited:
So what about a wingsuit? :D

Same basic issue as base jumping.

How about sending someone up who was already gonna jump of a bridge?

Or is that too morbid?

can't they just hinge that antenna about halfway?
that way you don't have to leave the ground! :p