Should the IOC strip Russia of the 2014 Winter Games?

And when the laws are incredibly stupid, you should avoid that country!

Exactly. Also have to remember that most Russians are in favour of this new law. It would definitely upset the locals if anything were to change.

Last edited:
It's Russia, what did you expect? It's not like this small piece in the puzzle dramatically changes the overall picture. No-one can claim that they didn't know what they are going into. It would be legitimate to demand that the Olympics won't be awarded to countries with a questionable attitude to human rights, but the IOC clearly doesn't give a fuck about this kind of stuff, as China got to host the games too.
Exactly this. I have no love for the IOC, and I sympathize with any people of religion/race/creed/sexuality/whatever ketchup they prefer being marginalized and treated unfairly, but I find the international power of this story to just smack of self-righteousness on the part of the LBGT community. Where were everyone's voices while China was forcibly extricating Tibetans from their homes, and physically beating them down just for protesting their treatment in their own (co-opted) land? How about the millions (literal, not figurative) of other disenfranchised peoples of China getting any representation before those Olympics.

Again, I have no issue with the protest and complain against Russia for this issue. And if somehow the IOC were pressured into evacuating the Russian Olympics, I'd tip my hat to said "protestants" (sorry, couldn't resist) for "winning one" for the forces of good, as it were. But I'm not prepared to put much thought or care into this given a) the loooong history of the IOC not giving a damn, and b) an equally long history of people around the world not giving a crap about any other peoples' human rights being trampled if it doesn't somehow affect them directly (or even indirectly).

Fixed. Because every country has stupid laws, even the United States of spying.

Agreed, but I did say incredibly stupid. ;)

Exactly this. I have no love for the IOC, and I sympathize with any people of religion/race/creed/sexuality/whatever ketchup they prefer being marginalized and treated unfairly, but I find the international power of this story to just smack of self-righteousness on the part of the LBGT community. Where were everyone's voices while China was forcibly extricating Tibetans from their homes, and physically beating them down just for protesting their treatment in their own (co-opted) land? How about the millions (literal, not figurative) of other disenfranchised peoples of China getting any representation before those Olympics.

Again, I have no issue with the protest and complain against Russia for this issue. And if somehow the IOC were pressured into evacuating the Russian Olympics, I'd tip my hat to said "protestants" (sorry, couldn't resist) for "winning one" for the forces of good, as it were. But I'm not prepared to put much thought or care into this given a) the loooong history of the IOC not giving a damn, and b) an equally long history of people around the world not giving a crap about any other peoples' human rights being trampled if it doesn't somehow affect them directly (or even indirectly).

Not saying that was in any way right. While the phrase "human rights" is often open to abuse when used for an individual's own ends (avoiding deportation etc) it is something that needs to be respected. The difference is that the disenfranchised in China have no voice and are unable to clamour for change or recognition due to the way the country keeps them in check whereas sexuality crosses all borders and exists right across the political spectrum so it is far easier for this to be made an issue.

Nobody seriously expects the IOC to award the Winter games to another country this late in the day and since Putin's laws have the backing (allegedly) of the majority of Russians nor do I expect any change to occur there but if enough of a stink is raised about this issue then maybe, just maybe, the IOC will take such issues into consideration when awarding future Olympiads. I know that if I were in charge of a future bid against a country with a questionable human rights record then I would be making that a cornerstone of my arguments.

Not saying that was in any way right. While the phrase "human rights" is often open to abuse when used for an individual's own ends (avoiding deportation etc) it is something that needs to be respected. The difference is that the disenfranchised in China have no voice and are unable to clamour for change or recognition due to the way the country keeps them in check whereas sexuality crosses all borders and exists right across the political spectrum so it is far easier for this to be made an issue.

Nobody seriously expects the IOC to award the Winter games to another country this late in the day and since Putin's laws have the backing (allegedly) of the majority of Russians nor do I expect any change to occur there but if enough of a stink is raised about this issue then maybe, just maybe, the IOC will take such issues into consideration when awarding future Olympiads. I know that if I were in charge of a future bid against a country with a questionable human rights record then I would be making that a cornerstone of my arguments.
If it were up to me, I'd just blow up the IOC as a whole. :p

What began as a noble enterprise has become nothing more than a faceless corporation that uses said initial noble enterprise as the Trojan horse to enter various states and bleed them dry.

Reactions: MWF
You can get vodka anywhere.

IOC shouldnt have awarded Russia the games in the first place if it were an honest organization that wasn't all about securing the most bribes for old retired athletes.

Last edited:
Russia has recently passed a law banning the promotion of homosexuality and the authorities there turn a blind eye to hate crimes against the LGBT community.

For a far more enlightened and eloquent argument in favour of relocating the games to a more enlightened country please read Mr Stephen Fry's open letter here.

If you agree and wish to show your support for the campaign you can do so and share here.

It's a nice idea but it won't happen - because IOC...

Do I need to say more?